Photo

How To Cheat On Your Sleep Test

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Now I don't know why anyone would want to be diagnosed with Narcolepsy- but if you do, here's some tips to make you as sleepy as possible.

• Wear really comfy clothes that are discreet. Sweats, t-shirts, shorts.
  • Make sure you are warm. Cold skin makes you less prone to sleep.
  • Eat Sugar- Orexin cells are glucose sensitive. The more sugar you eat, the less orexin you will produce. Fruit juice is a really good choice for rapid absorption.
  • Eat Gluten- Make some multi grain muffins with wheat, corn, soy and nut flours. These foods contain known allergens which affect the alimentary tract. Since orexin cells line the intestine, this suppresses their function. Wheat Gluten is especially associated with Narcolepsy.
  • Don't smoke or drink coffee- caffeine and nicotine activate the frontal cortex and actually do increase alertness.
  • Stay inside and wear Sunglasses- Orexin cells are also triggered by light on the retinas. Just looking out the window will stimulate your nervous system.
  • Sleep in the chair if they let you. It's much easier to find a comfortable position for the tubes and wires, and we tend to breathe better sitting up.
  • Don't forget your pillow.

------------------------------------

Like I said, I don't know why anyone would want a Narcolepsy diagnosis. Luckily, you can also use this information to alleviate your symptoms. I have been in remission for five years. Read my research.

#2 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Now I don't know why anyone would want to be diagnosed with Narcolepsy- but if you do, here's some tips to make you as sleepy as possible.

<<SNIP>>

• Eat Sugar- Orexin cells are glucose sensitive. The more sugar you eat, the less orexin you will produce. Fruit juice is a really good choice for rapid absorption.

In reality, eating sugar will wake you up, initially -- lots of people eat food including sugary things to stay awake on night shifts. It's the "crash" that makes people tired. So, if you want to be sleepy for god-knows-what reason, eat something sugary and easily digested (no dark chocolate, though, which has caffeine) on an empty stomach maybe an hour before, and then eat nothing else. Your blood sugar will rise very quickly, your insulin level will spike, and you'll become hypoglycemic afterwards, making you sleepy.

Now, I know you didn't really post this as a way of explaining how to cheat on a sleep test, because I don't think anyone here wants folks to be wrongly diagnosed. I give you credit for a very original way to promote your belief that ALL narcolepsy is caused by gluten sensitivity. The only problem is that it's not. SOME people have gluten sensitivity, but only SOME of those people will have symptoms of narcolepsy. And there are people with narcolepsy who have no evidence of gluten-sensitivity and have gone on gluten-free diets with absolutely no improvement in their symptoms.

It's widely recognized that there is more than one type of narcolepsy (with and without cataplexy, with or without certain genetic findings, etc.) so it makes perfect sense that there is more than one cause. It's like anemia. SOME people will have anemia as the result of a B12 deficiency. If they supplement their vitamin B12, the anemia will resolve. But other people have anemia for a different reason, like an iron deficiency, and they can take thousands of milligrams of vitamin B12 with absolutely no response. The fact that B12 supplementation works for some people doesn't mean that it's the cause of all anemia.

Is it worth trying a gluten-free diet if you have narcolepsy? Sure, since it's a pretty harmless intervention, there's no way to be sure if it will help or not unless you try it, and for a minority of people with narcolepsy, might make a huge difference. But gluten sensitivity is simply not the sole cause of narcolepsy.

#3 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Heidi doesn't post on here often. She has some very interesting theories if you go to her website (link is provided).

I believe it was a tongue in cheek post in an attempt to show people that what you eat can help to control excessive sleepiness or make it worse. Absolutely nothing that you take orally will screw up your REM though and that's the diagnostic factor in determining N.
IMHO, Heidi is able to control her symptoms with her diet (and nicotine) but she still has N so she is not in remission.
I do the same thing but I don't have any problems with gluten or dairy. My problems are made worse with chemicals and colourants in food.
Everybody's different but her website does make you think about things that you may not have considered in trying to help yourself.

#4 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

I think the easiest way to cheat a sleep test would be to stay awake for as long as possible prior to the test. Now this won't work so great if you have a PSG and MSLT, as the night of PSG would probably be enough to reset a normal person. And obviously it wouldn't work for anyone who does have N, since they wouldn't be able to stay awake more than a few hours...lol. 

But basically, studies have shown that the symptoms of Narcolepsy are from sleep deprivation - even REM intrusion is seen in 'normal' people who have not slept in days. And I do believe that those who have become that sleep deprived can experience SOREMs as well. 

But there's no point for someone who likely has N to try and cheat on a sleep test. If a person has doubts that they will be comfortable enough to sleep for the PSG and might be too nervous for the MSLT, that's different. And trying to 'cheat' on a sleep test for such people would probably not be very beneficial. 

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

If I ignore this thread, will it go away.

#6 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Only if you scrunch up your eyes, click your heels three times and say three times "There's no place like home".

#7 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Done- but are you sending the flying monkeys after me now. O-ee-o