Oily Skin?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have noticed my skin seems oily since for the past few days on Xyrem 3.75x2. I have read a few posts mentioning this but nothing specific. If anyone can offer some information, I would appreciate it.

My skin generally tends to be on the dry side. Right now it feels more like baby oil. The first thing I noticed was my eye lashes feeling sticky when I blink. Then I noticed I looked shiny. I am not sure of the reason for this. I also would like to know the best approach to manage it. I would prefer to avoid an acne breakout if I can do something to prevent it. And I don't want to assume acne is on the way, if it is not. So, any information would be helpful. Thanks very much.

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Mine is as well, my skin is usually on the dry side. I was thinking it was from the night sweats. Those have gotten much worse. And I also have had some concerning hormonal changes. I am going to start experimenting with the meds. The side effects are starting to bug me a little. I feel like I can not take a lesser dose because the high dose only allows me 3.5 hours of sleep and it seems like my addys are not keeping me awake enough to drive, this morning was hell! :unsure:

Hank- I got those oil blotting sheets... they work great!

I've been putting off making an appointment with my sleep doc. but I think its time... once again...

#3 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

I don't take Xyrem--I take Nuvigil, which seems to be drying me out! But, I naturally have very oily skin, and am highly acne prone. I'm in my mid-30's and have been dealing with breakouts since age 11. So I know a few things about oily skin! Not everyone with oily skin will have problems with acne, but I think it makes it much more likely, since there's more oil around to clog up your pores. Don't hesitate to see your primary care or get a referral to a dermatologist if it gets bad. That said, here are my best tips for dealing with oily skin.

1) A good oil-absorbing moisturizer/sunscreen is really helpful. This is the best one I've found: http://www.murad.com...ttifier-spf-15. It is pricey, but it's cut down on the oiliness more than anything else I've ever tried.

2) There are lots of other cleansers/masks with clay that help absorb oils. I do think they help a little, but I haven't found anything that's changed my life from that perspective. Anything with benzoyl peroxide (over-the-counter acne creams) will dry your skin out to some extent. For me, even though my skin is oily, it gets much too dry with those products, so I use sparingly. Also, they'll bleach any fabric they come into contact with--your towel, your shirt, your pillowcae and bedding--so be aware.

3) With acne-prone skin, it's really important to exfoliate. Not sure if that applies to oily skin that doesn't get acne, but if acne starts popping up, this is key. You can use an exfoliating scrub, a wet washcloth, or one of the new cleansing brushes that have become popular in the last few years.

4) Oil-blotting papers are awesome for getting rid of oil during the day when you can't wash your face. I've tried lots of brands and these are my favorite: http://www.drugstore...heets/qxp68807. The clean and clear line in general has some really good products at a reasonable price.

5) Looks like you're a guy, so not sure you'd be interested in this, but a light dusting of facial powder really helps absorb the oil. I know there are now cosmetics made specifically for men, but it's not for everyone, obviously. My morning face routine is the murad moisturizer, mineral makeup (powdered) and then a dusting of powder. During the day I touch up by blotting the oil with an oil-absorbing sheet, and then dust on a bit more powder (I carry a powder compact in my purse).

Good luck. Oily skin can be a pain!

#4 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Thank you so much. I appreciate your tips and will give them a try. It seems to be ok so far and no trouble with acne so far.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have noticed my skin seems oily since for the past few days on Xyrem 3.75x2. I have read a few posts mentioning this but nothing specific. If anyone can offer some information, I would appreciate it.

My skin generally tends to be on the dry side. Right now it feels more like baby oil. The first thing I noticed was my eye lashes feeling sticky when I blink. Then I noticed I looked shiny. I am not sure of the reason for this. I also would like to know the best approach to manage it. I would prefer to avoid an acne breakout if I can do something to prevent it. And I don't want to assume acne is on the way, if it is not. So, any information would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Well- it all turned out just fine. My skin never broke out. In fact it is just smooth. It is not shiny, but it's clear and not dull. I look well rested. My pores are smaller. Thank again for the tips- they helped.

#6 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I am writing this because too many posts seem to end when there is improvement. My skin is now better than ever. I have always had dry lips that tend to crack. Since I have been on Xyrem, my lips are no longer dry and they are not cracked- amazing. At first I thought there was something wrong with them- but they were just healing. They just felt so different. If healthy changes like smooth skin and lips are happening on the outside, there is a reason. And I am very encouraged that I am doing so well.

I promised myself that I would not just post the bad stuff. I did not want to plant fears in other people who read this. So, if anyone has read this and was afraid of oily skin and acne- it never happened- something much better happened.

#7 tdmom

tdmom

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wonderful Hank! And very thoughtful - you are so right its nice to hear about good stuff. I think I will follow your example.

I am writing this because I too many posts seem to end when there is improvement. My skin is now better than ever. I have always had dry lips that tend to crack. Since I have been on Xyrem, my lips are no longer dry and they are not cracked- amazing. At first I thought there was something wrong with them- but they were just healing. They just felt so different. If healthy changes like smooth skin and lips are happening on the outside, there is a reason. And I am very encouraged that I am doing so well.

I promised myself that I would not just post the bad stuff. I did not want to plant fears in other people who read this. So, if anyone has read this and was afraid of oily skin and acne- it never happened- something much better happened.