Photo

Scariest Sleep Attack Ever

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'm just starting to figure out that I probably have narcolepsy, and this section of the Forum on driving is SO ON TARGET that I can't believe it! My sleepiness in cars is a running joke in my family. If my spouse and I take our minivan and are driving some friends somewhere, my spouse is always the one who drives, and I give up the "shotgun seat" to someone else. It's not just to be polite, but because I know I will fall asleep, and it will be easier for everyone else to chat if they're all up front and I'm snoozing way in the back. I simply cannot stay awake in cars for more than a couple of hours, and driving is even worse than being a passenger when we're on the highway. There's something hypnotic about the hum of the motor and watching the trees or the dash...dash....dash....of the painted white lines flying by as I drive past. Trains will also put me to sleep with the rhythmic clacking and rocking motion. Airplanes don't -- I'm generally tired and I'll fall asleep at some point like usual, but I don't feel extra sleepy. I think I need to sense the "hum" of the motor for something to put me to sleep.

So, freaky but true -- I once fell asleep while I was a backseat passenger on a motorcycle, on the highway. It was my first time ever, there was no "sissy bar" (that's the backrest), so I just had my arms wrapped around the waist of the driver. I felt a little sleepy after a short while and the next thing I knew, I was hearing her yelling at me through the headset mike in my helmet and she was pulling off the road. Apparently she felt my helmeted head nod against her shoulder and realized something was wrong. Thank god I hadn't released my grip around her waist! Naturally I had no clue at that point why I did such a "stupid" thing, and boy was I embarrassed. As you might guess, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since... :blush:

#2 Thelma

Thelma

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have similar problems driving. I just can't control my sleep when I am driving! While I have fallen asleep in other places--at my desk at work, taking a shower or bath, at the dinner table while eating---driving is by far the worst!! It is the most awful feeling and as I get sleepy I start to rub the top of my leg with my hand vigorously! Not sure why I do that--it is like an automatic reflex or attempt to stay awake that does not work. Sometimes, with all 3 children in the back seat, I just pull over and sleep for 5 mins! I'm sure people think I am crazy!

But I understand exactly how you felt on the motorcycle! My husband and son like to hunt and ride four wheelers. I never get on the four wheeler. I have driven it across the yard a few times. One day they convinced me to ride through some trails in the woods. My son was driving me on one and my husband had our daughter on the other. My husband turned around to check on me and my son and my head was just a wobbling---I was falling asleep! We had to stop a minute then head back to the house! It was not fun for me because I couldn't stay awake! Don't get me wrong, I love to be a passenger in a car---best sleep ever! But I will not ride on a four wheeler or motorcycle again! That was just scary!

#3 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

So, freaky but true -- I once fell asleep while I was a backseat passenger on a motorcycle, on the highway. It was my first time ever, there was no "sissy bar" (that's the backrest), so I just had my arms wrapped around the waist of the driver. I felt a little sleepy after a short while and the next thing I knew, I was hearing her yelling at me through the headset mike in my helmet and she was pulling off the road. Apparently she felt my helmeted head nod against her shoulder and realized something was wrong. Thank god I hadn't released my grip around her waist! Naturally I had no clue at that point why I did such a "stupid" thing, and boy was I embarrassed. As you might guess, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since... :blush:

:blink:

#4 sleepyhead1975

sleepyhead1975

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Live music, films, literature, comedy and sci-fi :-)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Oh that's happened to me. Ex and I hired a moped on holiday, to do a bit of a tour of a Greek island. It had been a long day weeving through the Kefalonian mountains and we were trying to get back to our resort before a storm set in (a particularly nasty one at that). I remember feeling sleepy and thinking oh oh! There wasn't much to do, but to cling on and hope. Not that that helped, as i soon nodded off. Miraculously, I still managed to hold on. Remember coming too and thinking phew!! I had a found myself in a few of these situations before my diagnosis was made. Sleepy episodes were all a bit haphazard, with attacks coming on fairly quickly.

#5 Gabby

Gabby

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Altered Art, My grandchildren, eclectic furnishings, and coffee!!!!!.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

So, freaky but true -- I once fell asleep while I was a backseat passenger on a motorcycle, on the highway. It was my first time ever, there was no "sissy bar" (that's the backrest), so I just had my arms wrapped around the waist of the driver. I felt a little sleepy after a short while and the next thing I knew, I was hearing her yelling at me through the headset mike in my helmet and she was pulling off the road. Apparently she felt my helmeted head nod against her shoulder and realized something was wrong. Thank god I hadn't released my grip around her waist! Naturally I had no clue at that point why I did such a "stupid" thing, and boy was I embarrassed. As you might guess, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since... blush.gif

It's not really that freaky to fall asleep on the back of a motorcycle.  We realized that it was impossible for me to get my own bike but I still love to go on charity runs with my hubby.  Before heading home from these runs we make sure that I'm still doing okay and have remembered to take my afternoon meds.  But I still have to give him signals occasionally that I'm awake.  We were once just 4 or 5 miles from home when I started dreaming about and old Indian chief talking to us.  I don't remember coming off of the freeway or making the u-turn we take as part of a shortcut to get home.  He said I leaned when I was supposed to and everything.  So my body just continued to do what a passenger would naturally do.  Then a  couple of months ago I felt him reach back and squeeze my knee and I didn't know why.  He too noticed that my helmet started pressing against his harder and harder.  I don't remember falling asleep and swore I was awake. Now it's part of our routine that I squeeze his waist every few miles.  If i'm not able to do it, we'll stop and call someone to come and get me. But my rides are getting shorter and further between.  Once a week he takes me out to dinner though so I get my wind therapy.  Heck.  He had to catch me in February from falling forwards in the stands at a NASCAR race. 

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

It's not really that freaky to fall asleep on the back of a motorcycle.  We realized that it was impossible for me to get my own bike but I still love to go on charity runs with my hubby.  Before heading home from these runs we make sure that I'm still doing okay and have remembered to take my afternoon meds.  But I still have to give him signals occasionally that I'm awake.  We were once just 4 or 5 miles from home when I started dreaming about and old Indian chief talking to us.  I don't remember coming off of the freeway or making the u-turn we take as part of a shortcut to get home.  He said I leaned when I was supposed to and everything.  So my body just continued to do what a passenger would naturally do.  Then a  couple of months ago I felt him reach back and squeeze my knee and I didn't know why.  He too noticed that my helmet started pressing against his harder and harder.  I don't remember falling asleep and swore I was awake. Now it's part of our routine that I squeeze his waist every few miles.  If i'm not able to do it, we'll stop and call someone to come and get me. But my rides are getting shorter and further between.  Once a week he takes me out to dinner though so I get my wind therapy.  Heck.  He had to catch me in February from falling forwards in the stands at a NASCAR race. 

That's really endearing that he's so understanding. It seems like so many people on this board post stories about how their SOs are like "stupid woman/lazy boy, always falling asleep, what about my needs?!" It's nice to hear someone in a supportive committed relationship, despite debilitating N.

#7 sleepingmonkey

sleepingmonkey

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Phish, parenting, painting, wire wrapping healing stones/crystals into jewelry, books (postmodernism, fictional prose, gallows humor, satire), dining al fresco, the sun on my face & the grass between my toes, fashion

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I, too, fall asleep on the back of motorcycles (and in car rides lasting over 20-30 minutes). My ex bf loved to tell me how inconsiderate I was, and how I just want the time to pass more quickly so I sleep the ride away, but ya know, obviously that's not something I can control. We took a trip on the bike down Rt. 1 in California (twisty road on the edge of a cliff), and I fought to stay awake, but in the end, sleep won...as it always does!

#8 andlostillgiven

andlostillgiven

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have similar problems driving. I just can't control my sleep when I am driving! While I have fallen asleep in other places--at my desk at work, taking a shower or bath, at the dinner table while eating---driving is by far the worst!! It is the most awful feeling and as I get sleepy I start to rub the top of my leg with my hand vigorously! Not sure why I do that--it is like an automatic reflex or attempt to stay awake that does not work. Sometimes, with all 3 children in the back seat, I just pull over and sleep for 5 mins! I'm sure people think I am crazy!

But I understand exactly how you felt on the motorcycle! My husband and son like to hunt and ride four wheelers. I never get on the four wheeler. I have driven it across the yard a few times. One day they convinced me to ride through some trails in the woods. My son was driving me on one and my husband had our daughter on the other. My husband turned around to check on me and my son and my head was just a wobbling---I was falling asleep! We had to stop a minute then head back to the house! It was not fun for me because I couldn't stay awake! Don't get me wrong, I love to be a passenger in a car---best sleep ever! But I will not ride on a four wheeler or motorcycle again! That was just scary!

I can totally relate, I used to ride a quad everyday as part of my job. One of my first days, with no experience or comfort level, I succumbed to several microscopes. My supervisor was astonished, he said in 15 years he had NEVER seen anyone fall asleep on a quad. It was embarrassing but moreso extremely unsafe... It was a challenging trail with a lot of hazardous conditions.

Don't have a diagnosis as of yet, seems to be a lot of evidence supporting the conclusion of N though. My only coping mechanism is smoking... Hopefully when I get to the bottom of things I can do away with that nasty habit. Usually I can't drive more than ten minutes without having a sleep attack if I don't have a cigarette hanging out of my mouth... The road is just so-as you said-hypnotic. If I am a passenger I am completely incapable of staying awake for more than a few minutes unless I am in engaging conversation or actively focused on a task or doing something on my phone etc.

#9 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Learning; Driving; Motorcycling; being in control; physics; helping; canines; reading; psychology; philosophy; living with Narcolepsy;

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

...hope, should I say Pray you are being treated by now. I see a lot of postings about EDS wherein the writer seems to think it's humorous. Is anaphalactic shock humorous to a person with allergies? How about diabetic coma to a person suffering from diabetes? See how many
"productivity-challenged" people find it humorous to relate how much fun they have waiting on a cold street corner in a high crime area on a winter night for public transit because the DMV won't let them drive, and the only job they can get is a minimum wage/no benefit position in a plant alongside other people who succumbed to the marginalization society metes out to all people who can't (appear) to function profitably for their employer because they are physically, emotionally, educationally, psychologically challenged.
There are a huge number (not all) of "normal" people of the world who think we are a joke. I once had a young Neurologists at a teaching hospital in Boston explaining the helpless state of Cataplexy to a fellow student-doctor, prodding me for confirmation as he went, then giggling as he asked me if sexual orgasm caused my body to drop into cataplectic oblivion.
Narcolepsy IS ife threatening if not managed appropriately.

#10 engineerman9337

engineerman9337

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Learning; Driving; Motorcycling; being in control; physics; helping; canines; reading; psychology; philosophy; living with Narcolepsy;

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

There is no good reason you can't drive if you have Narcolepsy and you intelligently manage the disorder.
If you are newly diagnosed, you need to know when you are driving and feel a sleep episode coming, it is more powerful than all the determination/physical pain/prayers(yes, even God) you can muster. You can fight, but you cannot win.
If you still have a long way to go, pull over where it is safe and take a 7-10 minute nap.
If you are say 5-10 minutes from destination, walk around the car a couple of times, stretching might be enough.
Remember this, if you could control the urge to sleep- duh - you wouldn't have Narcolepsy!
Drive safely!
...and if your new? You can never go out of the house without your medication and have a good day.
Later...