• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Lotta stuff. And not a lotta other stuff

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Anybody tried to register for the conference online? If you can successfully wade through the online thing, you are not narcoleptic and you might as well stay home.

If you would like to simply register for the conference and pay your NarNet membership at the same time, you must plow through some seventy three questions! There is a group of questions having little asterisks that MUST be answered. The one that flummoxed me for a long time was rather hard to spot; it's off to the side and not close to the answer field.. It had to do with indicating if you had any special needs like diet or maybe physical restrictions (I forget right now and I am NOT going back in there again to look). You must type in "no" or some sort of response even if you need nothing! I don't know how many times it refused to continue because I hadn't detected ALL the asterisk things.

I wanted to register My Lady also and so this increased the load to some 105 questions. BTW, the thing is also a time test... you get one hour or else it's all dumped into the disposal. One of my frustrations was that I needed to eat breakfast and so I lost all 105 decisions and had to start from scratch (and several other times). Oh, and I had to enter the logically unneccessary "no" three times. Each time. I think I entered a total of fifteen "no"s before I gave up.

The last (puff puff, pant pant) question was about paying with Visa, or MasterCard or all those others and also PayPal. I chose Visa and was taken to PayPal! Dang it! So I took the option of returning to the registration page to see if I pushed the wrong button. But then all my entries were erased. Ack! One hundred and five questions later, I finally saw that you are forced into PayPal, no matter what, but you can continue to pay using your own card if you claim you will join PayPal later -- also you must give them your telephone number and email address (?) yet again. Why? Well I suppose it is so that PayPal can call you and email stuff to you anytime they want (can't complain to the no-call list because you now have a business relationship with them whether you want it or not). So I cancelled the whole danged thing!

Next, I clicked on the pay-by-mail option and guess what I got? One hundred and five questions and one hour to fill them out! Wha??? I don't know, I guess you are not allowed to just print out the questions and write the answers manually, you MUST type in all the asterisk things before you can even print it. Maybe not, but I not going through all that again just to find out. Phoo.

So, maybe I can't come this year. This is because I got Narkleupsy and I have no stamina, no patience and maybe no brains. Here's the summation of it all:

"If you got Narkleupsy, you can't come!"

Nite nite from Fort Mudge Idaho,
Emo

#2 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Anybody tried to register for the conference online? If you can successfully wade through the online thing, you are not narcoleptic and you might as well stay home.

If you would like to simply register for the conference and pay your NarNet membership at the same time, you must plow through some seventy three questions! There is a group of questions having little asterisks that MUST be answered. The one that flummoxed me for a long time was rather hard to spot; it's off to the side and not close to the answer field.. It had to do with indicating if you had any special needs like diet or maybe physical restrictions (I forget right now and I am NOT going back in there again to look). You must type in "no" or some sort of response even if you need nothing! I don't know how many times it refused to continue because I hadn't detected ALL the asterisk things.

I wanted to register My Lady also and so this increased the load to some 105 questions. BTW, the thing is also a time test... you get one hour or else it's all dumped into the disposal. One of my frustrations was that I needed to eat breakfast and so I lost all 105 decisions and had to start from scratch (and several other times). Oh, and I had to enter the logically unneccessary "no" three times. Each time. I think I entered a total of fifteen "no"s before I gave up.

The last (puff puff, pant pant) question was about paying with Visa, or MasterCard or all those others and also PayPal. I chose Visa and was taken to PayPal! Dang it! So I took the option of returning to the registration page to see if I pushed the wrong button. But then all my entries were erased. Ack! One hundred and five questions later, I finally saw that you are forced into PayPal, no matter what, but you can continue to pay using your own card if you claim you will join PayPal later -- also you must give them your telephone number and email address (?) yet again. Why? Well I suppose it is so that PayPal can call you and email stuff to you anytime they want (can't complain to the no-call list because you now have a business relationship with them whether you want it or not). So I cancelled the whole danged thing!

Next, I clicked on the pay-by-mail option and guess what I got? One hundred and five questions and one hour to fill them out! Wha??? I don't know, I guess you are not allowed to just print out the questions and write the answers manually, you MUST type in all the asterisk things before you can even print it. Maybe not, but I not going through all that again just to find out. Phoo.

So, maybe I can't come this year. This is because I got Narkleupsy and I have no stamina, no patience and maybe no brains. Here's the summation of it all:

"If you got Narkleupsy, you can't come!"

Nite nite from Fort Mudge Idaho,
Emo

Wow, the user interface sounds like a nightmare! I would post in the Membership Notes section of the forum or try to PM one or more of the moderators of this site (who are on the NN team) so they can investigate whether or not any of your information was stored in their databases. That way, you might not have to fill everything out again, and you could work with them to complete the process of registering you and your wife for the conference since you're interested in going and shouldn't have to miss out on the opportunity because you have to jump through a lot of hoops. Link them to this thread so they can read about your problem without the need for retyping it to them! I hope this gets sorted out and you're able to attend. ;)

#3 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Y'all said, "Wow, the user interface sounds like a nightmare! "

Prolly not. Ya need to know I'm seventy four yrs old, entering yet another level of senility and terminal crankiness and, My Lady knows, when I get irritated I overstate the difficulties by a factor of two or more.

And, " I would post in the Membership Notes section of the forum or try to PM one or more of the moderators of this site"

The way this works is that when I get my composure back, I call NarNet Joyce and she says, "Emo, Emo, Emo! There, there, it'll be alright. I'll take care of you." I sends her the money and SHE goes through all that stuff!" Meanwhile the staff is much more sensitive to public complaints and more liable to look into it. Simple stuff like, arrange the questionnaire such that if your answer is not affirmative, no reply at all is needed. I note they already have built in the ability to copy all the stuff that you have input into one area over to another area. Of course you'd be suspicious that perhaps this convenience covers up a redundancy.

Then I have to watch out that they don't say, "OK, you write the next registration form!" and I have to become rather silent. Gotta try to be less critical and try to be more helpful. Remind me next time

nite nite from Fort Mudge, Idaho
ol' Emo

#4 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Root Admin
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

I am sorry that it was such a hassle! Looks like our U.S. Postal service has not delivered the paper flyers yet, so ..If this helps, please download the attached flyer - fill it out & send it to the office. :rolleyes:

Attached Files

#5 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Today, Aug 10, I received in the mail a registration form! I begin to suspect that Ol' Lightning here has had one laying around the place for such a long time, I forgot about it! Probably I'll find it in the trunk of my cataplectic car, Old Flameout. Well, I'm always doing dumb things like that. There was no note or explanation that came with the form, just a significant silence which really told me, "Here it is, dummy."

So I filled 'er out and sent 'er off. Ta Da! There were no more than thirty things to check or fill out! I remember the distant past when you had to manually fill out everything and you were not given the opportunity for going nuts while slogging through the stupid Inner Net.

There are some really hopeful things included in the published agenda. Goodies like a cruise and the Rock and Roll Halla Fame visit and even Friday night supper sign-ups w/free bus trip. Shazaam! These are things that I enjoy the most, hobnobbing with all those strange narkleuptics, fighting off the girls, stuff like that.

I also look forward to some real input from some genuine science people. And what will My Lady do? She likes to go sightseeing, even during the sessions if feasible, and I'm not worth a dillypoop about helping her get around and go SEE things and DO stuff.

Now we hafta figger out how we're going to get there and little things like that.

***********Just as I was editing this, the note from Kathleen came in but I'm too lazy to revise the above to fit the sitchiasion. Everybody note, you'll have to hurry to meet the deadline for Early Worm rates ****************************************!

Emo
Reporting from Fort Mudge, Idaho

#6 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yes, it was annoying having to go through all the questions before it eventually worked. For me...PayPal didn't respond the first few times that I got to the end. Turns out it was a known issue where old PayPal cookies prevent you from getting to it. Probably comes from having two PayPal accounts, one of which has been upgraded to the new beta interface.

It probably isn't clear...but PayPal is the credit card processor. You don't have to sign up with PayPal in order to charge things to credit card....there's a spot to click to expose the form for using credit card without a PayPal account.

When I finally did sign into PayPal...I found that I had signed into the wrong PayPal account. The credit card that isn't maxed is linked to my other PayPal account. Though a few days later, the raised my (BillMeLater) credit limit...so I could've gotten 6-months no-interest financing on my conference registration. I had renewed my membership back on December 31st...to combine the donation matching that was going on then...and make the total big enough to get 6-month no-interest on the membership/donation :)

So, I went through all the questions like 4 times in the end....and the answers changed a little bit each time.

Like I think the last time through...instead of just putting 2012 as year of Narcolepsy diagnosis, I put in "July 12, 2012".

I think the only detail I haven't worked out is how to get myself from my home to the airport (and back after the conference)....and figuring out if I'm ready to tackle the next flight challenge.... bring Xyrem with me.

The Dreamer.