7 replies to this topic

#1 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Lately,
For the last 6 or so months-
When I fall asleep I jerk (much like when you are really exhausted) but this jerk is so pronounced ,it makes me sit up and bleep out OHHHH or OMMMMMMMM
Then I lie back down. It aggravates me as I am trying to fall asleep---becuase it repeats for about 15-30 minutes.
I will just about into a good snooze, in bed, and well aware I am napping.---then all of a sudden these Violent jerks that SIMI-wake me.
My husband says I keep my eyes shut, My head flops around, sometimes I raise up to a sitting position for a mili second and I always YELL out
OMMMMMMm like I am in trouble.
I HATE IT
Do any of you out there do this?
Is there any treatment?
-:L-

#2 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Me and my mom both do this. I have narcolepsy, she doesn't, and we both have sleep apnea. The doctors call it a "parasomnia" which means they don't know what it is lol. They gave my mom some medicine for it, klonopan I think? But it doesn't help she still does it. Sometimes she remembers but most of the time she has no idea it happened. She will get really upset too and start yelling out nonsense words, then she will eventually wake up and say she is ok, or just fall back asleep. I actually had to get a private room in college because of mine, it kept waking my roommates up. I yell/moan but I am never aware of it people always tell me about it the next day. I do constantly experience the jerking though. You might see if you could get some type of muscle relaxant but my mom has tried 3 or 4 and none of them help. I can't take any medicine like that and wake up the next morning, it makes me sleep for a good 16 hours.

#3 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Me and my mom both do this. I have narcolepsy, she doesn't, and we both have sleep apnea. The doctors call it a "parasomnia" which means they don't know what it is lol. They gave my mom some medicine for it, klonopan I think? But it doesn't help she still does it. Sometimes she remembers but most of the time she has no idea it happened. She will get really upset too and start yelling out nonsense words, then she will eventually wake up and say she is ok, or just fall back asleep. I actually had to get a private room in college because of mine, it kept waking my roommates up. I yell/moan but I am never aware of it people always tell me about it the next day. I do constantly experience the jerking though. You might see if you could get some type of muscle relaxant but my mom has tried 3 or 4 and none of them help. I can't take any medicine like that and wake up the next morning, it makes me sleep for a good 16 hours.

It is crazy, I do take a muscle relaxer-It does not seem to help. Thanks for sharing. I just though it was weird. My spouse and my boys think its funny. I also smack them if they wake me suddenly. I go into hyper mode and start swinging. They usually tap me and hop backwards so they dont get slapped. It is so crazy.
I have to get some meds for periodic limb movement -maybe this will help?

#4 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

It is crazy, I do take a muscle relaxer-It does not seem to help. Thanks for sharing. I just though it was weird. My spouse and my boys think its funny. I also smack them if they wake me suddenly. I go into hyper mode and start swinging. They usually tap me and hop backwards so they dont get slapped. It is so crazy.
I have to get some meds for periodic limb movement -maybe this will help?

Yeah you could try that. I tried it for awhile but it made me feel dead. Possibly it was making my sleep paralysis worse or something.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

I do have what you describe. It is called Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep (PLMS). This is commonly seen in PWN (secomdary to N) and the elderly (primary- no other cause). This was the most obvious finding on my first PSG. This became by primary diagnosis and I was treated by a neurologist with Klonopin. This is the wrong drug to use for PWN- it disrupts sleep architecture by supressing REM. It lengthens sleep but does not improve the sleep quality. It delayed my diagnosis because of no SOREM while on it. Withdrawal is comparable to heroin and it causes a REM rebound. Neurontin is a safer alternative and has a shorter half life than a long half life benzo like Klonopin. I am now off Neurontin and on Xyrem which seems to be controlling these movements. They were always worse when I was overtired. I hope you find some answers.

#6 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I do have what you describe. It is called Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep (PLMS). This is commonly seen in PWN (secomdary to N) and the elderly (primary- no other cause). This was the most obvious finding on my first PSG. This became by primary diagnosis and I was treated by a neurologist with Klonopin. This is the wrong drug to use for PWN- it disrupts sleep architecture by supressing REM. It lengthens sleep but does not improve the sleep quality. It delayed my diagnosis because of no SOREM while on it. Withdrawal is comparable to heroin and it causes a REM rebound. Neurontin is a safer alternative and has a shorter half life than a long half life benzo like Klonopin. I am now off Neurontin and on Xyrem which seems to be controlling these movements. They were always worse when I was overtired. I hope you find some answers.

Thank you for your reply. That is VERY helpful. I was diagnosed with Periodioc limb movement when they DX the N back in 2004.
I had no idea that this was that.
I will ask my primary DR about Xyrem....Thanks a bunch.
The jerking, waking, and bouting out makes me feel like a crazy woman.
Sometime I also get myocolonus during the day with sounds.
They tested with an MRI that came back abnormal ..but w/o any cause or DX
do you also suffer from myocolnus?
Thanks again Much appreciated!!!!-Linda

#7 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Linna- myoclonus is the outdated term for PLMS. Unfortunately, I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about this stuff. I never made sounds, but I did experience what I called "jolts"- mainly in the mornings. If it happened in a meeting, I would just change sitting position, so it would look voluntary. It was not a big movement- a small kick like when you have you knee reflex tapped- and a quick head tilt. It was later explained to me that the normal range experience of this is when you are falling asleep and feel like you are falling and you sort of "jump". Well, it made sense that if I was having microsleep during the day and I have a sleep movement disorder (PLMS-secondary to N) that I might experience this sleep movement during the day also. PLMS caused me a lot of small "arousals" during my PSGs and decreased my sleep efficiency. My wife said- at its worst-it was like I was doing sit ups in bed. Neurontin was my sleep doc's first choice for this at a fairly low dose (100-300 mg) and it achieved the same effect as Klonopin/Clonazepam without the life-destroying side-effects. It is good to know about this- and it is so much better now for me.

#8 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

Tried the Neurontin (gabapentin) for about 3 weeks now.....This has changed my day tremendously.....Now when I get home from work I dont just go to bed. I can get home and stay up without a nap until a normal bedtime of 11:00.
So thanks for the tip...really helped.