Provigil Vs. Nuvigil?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Is there a difference between provigil and nuvigil? Tricare decided to completely pull nuvigil so now I have to do a "trial period" of provigil then if it doesn't work they will pay for me to go back on nuvigil. My mom says it's the same medicine just with a different name. I hate changing medicines. Anyone here who has taken both?

#2 Wedge

Wedge

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Is there a difference between provigil and nuvigil? Tricare decided to completely pull nuvigil so now I have to do a "trial period" of provigil then if it doesn't work they will pay for me to go back on nuvigil. My mom says it's the same medicine just with a different name. I hate changing medicines. Anyone here who has taken both?

Is there a reason why Tricare pulled that? I just switched to Nuvigil and I am in the Air Guard!

Anyways I have taken both. There are subtle differences between the two that you may not notice at first. Typically, you take nuvigil in lower dosages than provigil (For example I take 150mg of Nuvi). For me, I noticed Nuvigil to last just a bit longer in terms of providing awareness/wakefulness and the side effects have less intensity than on provigil. I also did not experience dehydration/ dry mouth as much. However, Nuvigil seems to have a bigger effect on my sleep in terms of sleep paralysis and hypnogenic hallucination (I don't take Xyrem).

It really comes down to preference. Provigil is on the generic market now and that is probably why the insurance company is trying to switch you to that. They are almost identical.. in fact I heard that Cephalon hardly changed anything when making Nuvigil... they did the bare minimum in order to secure a patent and reap the profits from it.

If you have any other questions I could let you know. Provigil did the trick for me but I switched to Nuvigil because A) I could and B) The side effects are not as harsh (but people report different things)

#3 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Is there a reason why Tricare pulled that? I just switched to Nuvigil and I am in the Air Guard!

Anyways I have taken both. There are subtle differences between the two that you may not notice at first. Typically, you take nuvigil in lower dosages than provigil (For example I take 150mg of Nuvi). For me, I noticed Nuvigil to last just a bit longer in terms of providing awareness/wakefulness and the side effects have less intensity than on provigil. I also did not experience dehydration/ dry mouth as much. However, Nuvigil seems to have a bigger effect on my sleep in terms of sleep paralysis and hypnogenic hallucination (I don't take Xyrem).

It really comes down to preference. Provigil is on the generic market now and that is probably why the insurance company is trying to switch you to that. They are almost identical.. in fact I heard that Cephalon hardly changed anything when making Nuvigil... they did the bare minimum in order to secure a patent and reap the profits from it.

If you have any other questions I could let you know. Provigil did the trick for me but I switched to Nuvigil because A) I could and B) The side effects are not as harsh (but people report different things)

I guess Nuvigil is more expensive so they are requiring you try Provigil first. Then if it works, they don't have to pay as much. I'm just ticked off because Nuvigil really, really helps me and I hate being forced to switch for insurance reasons. I hate that they can control what medicine I can or can't take.

Does provigil cause the headaches? I had awful migraine headaches every day for about 2 months when I started Nuvigil and I do NOT want to go through that again.

#4 TNW

TNW

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, dreaming, painting, cooking, counting stars, listening to Bjork, and sorting jellybeans... I hate that my husband has narcolepsy. Reading about it here goes a long way toward helping me help him.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi Tabster1,

My husband has taken both and we definitely prefer Nuvigil! The Provigil gave him terrible headaches and even the occasional stomache. It was also very expensive, even with insurance.

The Nuvigil also gives him (much less severe) headaches, but they are easily controlled by taking it with food and water. The Nuvigil is also very affordable for us now that it's covered by our insurance.

My husband says that he feels a lot more "normal" on Nuvigil. He still has to nap and eat at regular times, but with the Nuvigil, if he misses a nap or snack, it doesn't throw him into a tailspin.

#5 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hi Tabster1,

My husband has taken both and we definitely prefer Nuvigil! The Provigil gave him terrible headaches and even the occasional stomache. It was also very expensive, even with insurance.

The Nuvigil also gives him (much less severe) headaches, but they are easily controlled by taking it with food and water. The Nuvigil is also very affordable for us now that it's covered by our insurance.

My husband says that he feels a lot more "normal" on Nuvigil. He still has to nap and eat at regular times, but with the Nuvigil, if he misses a nap or snack, it doesn't throw him into a tailspin.

Did it cause him to lose his appetite? With the Nuvigil I have to eat breakfast before or right when I take it, and I can only have a snack for lunch. Then my appetite starts to pick up again around dinner time. So it is hard enough for me to eat with the Nuvigil I don't want to completely lose my appetite on the provigil.

#6 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

The obvious difference is Provigil is available as generic, while Nuvigil is not.

Also, in 3-tier plans...Provigil used to be the preferred brand, while Nuvigil was the non-preferred brand. Of course, now that its generic...they try to force you to only take the generic ones.

Technically speaking...Provigil is composed of two stereo isomers....the d-isomer is absorbed quickly and dissipates quickly...while the l-isomer is slower and stays in the bloodstream longer. They also attribute most of the side effects to the d-isomer. Though given that they don't know how Provigil/Nuvigil work the attribution of side effects to l- or d- is probably also just a guess. I didn't have much side effect when I started taking Provigil, but I've had much more when I started Nuvigil. (the main being headaches and stomach-aches)

They give the half-life of the d-isomer as 5 hours and the l-isomer as 15 hours.

So they isolated the l-isomer and created Nuvigil. And, I hear all the did was test to make sure it worked as expected....since they still don't know how the drug works. Or even its mechanism of absorption (so they don't fully know how other drugs might interact with it...)

So, I was on 200mg Provigil twice a day (8 & 2)...because half of the first 200mg would be gone mid day. But, now I'm on 250mg Nuvigil once a day.

OTOH....after I was on Provigil for a long time....not only did it fade in its effectiveness. It made me into a zombie (or as other's have described, awake but stupid.) Nuvigil doesn't seem to me be working as well as it did now, but at least its not making me into a zombie....

The Dreamer.

#7 newlifes

newlifes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:10 PM