Does Heat Affect You Differently Now?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shakysleppy

shakysleppy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have noticed since I developed Narco and Cataplexy that i sweat alot more than before and that I can only take the heat in small incriments without getting headaches. Also when I come in from being out in the heat I usually fall right to sleep. Can anyone help me out with some answers if you have the same issues? Or is it just the medications that i may be on?

#2 lilbrez51

lilbrez51

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I have noticed since I developed Narco and Cataplexy that i sweat alot more than before and that I can only take the heat in small incriments without getting headaches. Also when I come in from being out in the heat I usually fall right to sleep. Can anyone help me out with some answers if you have the same issues? Or is it just the medications that i may be on?

Hi, I also have noticed this. I used to be able to be out in the heat with no problem but now it is a different story. If I am in the heat I also "crash" when I come into the house. I don't have any answers but would also like to know why.

#3 shakysleppy

shakysleppy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hopefully we can get an answer on here.

#4 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Just a thought. How's your blood pressure? When I went on retalin it raised my blood pressure too high although I was unaware of it at the time. When I got hot I felt like my skin was pounding with my pulse . Now that I've got my blood pressure under control, I still don't like the heat, but I feel better with it. So just a thought , get your blood pressure checked.

#5 shakysleppy

shakysleppy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

My blood pressure is always excellent when I go to the doctor.

#6 dailee

dailee

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Last year I had a horrible time during the summer with EDS and feelings of head pressure. It was an extremely hot summer where I was at over 100 + for 60 days plus. I work in home health and spend alot of time driving to patients homes. It was so hot in my car even with an a/c. I ended up having to take 3 weeks off work because I got so sick during this time. I couldn't keep my eyes open during the day w/max meds and had to take naps in my car which were not helpful to me at all. This year it was still hot but not as much and my a/c is better in my new car. I haven't had to take 1 nap in my car this summer and I haven't had to take any time off work.

#7 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

I got this idea from Hank, and it works! Hot Feet= Sleepy, Cold feet= more awake. When I start falling asleep behind the wheel I turn on my heated seat and the ac on my flip flop feet!

#8 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I've always run hot. Or, rather, my body temperature is usually lower than "normal"-- 97.2-97.4--but I've never tolerated heat well. I do much better in the cold. My brothers are the same way. Both of their wives have huge sweater/sweatshirt collections, because to keep the house cool enough for my brothers to survive, my poor sisters-in-law get too chilly. Unusual, considering we're from Southern California! I will say, since my dx, my temperature regulation seems even more off than usual--I've been in church meetings where so many people were so terribly cold that they raided the supply of shawls and quilts the sewing groups had been working on, and I've been perfectly comfortable. On the other hand, I've also had the unusual (for me) experience of being at home with the thermostat set at the normal level, and suddenly finding myself hunting down a sweatshirt because I was so chilly. That one's new! Not sure if it's the N or the meds--but it does seem to be worse if I'm especially sleepy and/or sleep-deprived.

I don't know if there's anything medical to do for this. I keep the A/C at a comfortable temperature in the hot inland California summers, and deal with the high electricity bill. I have a fan on my desk at work and stash cardigans in my desk drawers, my car, my backpack. It's a nuisance, but not much more.

#9 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

There is a topic about this in Free Writing

"Narcolepsy And Skin Temperature Study of skin temperature and disturbed sleep patterns - Narcolepsy."

#10 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

I haven't looked at my body temperature recently...or ever since my Cataplexy got worse. Though I always ran a little on the hot side.

This past year, I've found that I'm worse at tolerating heat. And, sweat tons more.... and I want it cooler in bed more now....to the point where I got a Chilipad.

I'm worried to find out what its done for my cold tolerance....

The Dreamer.