Night Terrors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emilatte

emilatte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Lately I've been SCREAMING in my sleep. I dont realize it until my mom wakes me up and then I'm usually shaking and crying uncontrollably. My mom says its the most blood curdling scream she has ever heard. I never remember it until she reminds me. Even then I don't remember what I was dreaming or that I screamed. I just remember shaking and being woken up. I thought it was stress from 2 jobs and I thought it would stop when I had quit one. Even after quitting I'm still doing it. Anyone else have night terrors? Any tips???

#2 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

This is a problem to many of us with narcolepsy . I sorry to hear you are having it too. What has ultimately worked for me was to learn to be to tell when I am dreaming and then from that point be able to direct what is happening in the dream to a more positive outcome. If that doesn't work I try to wake myself up.
It takes a while to learn to control your dreams but its great when you get it. Imagine having good dreams that you enjoy or having the option to change the scene or leave it all together. The dreams that I hate are the ones where I am at work. It does not seem fair to me that I work all day and then have to work in my dreams too. I don't even get paid for the hours I put in during my dreams.
I know this is not much help to you now but maybe in the future. Tom

#3 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

I guess REM sleep disturbances are a part of narcolepsy? I don't have night terrors, but I've had my share of sleep-walking (I actually kept trying to walk into a coffee table and didn't wake up until the pain was so great), talking in my sleep, and waking up confused about where I was. I also have a lot of nightmares, but I had always attributed this to the beta-blocker I take.

I would ask your doctor how to treat this--possibly taking anti-depressants before you go to sleep, or maybe Xyrem, will help?

#4 thecatnapper

thecatnapper

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I am no longer active on this site but it did help me tremendously through the diagnostic process and I am so grateful for the experience. I learned a lot, not only about Narcolepsy, but about myself in general and I am a much stronger person for it. I wish everyone well.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I'm terrified of snakes and a few months back I had a dream that a cobra was slithering up the side of my leg. It was almost like I could physically feel it on me. Part of me knew that I was dreaming but I was still in absolute terror and couldn't wake myself up. I'm still not sure if it was sleep paralysis or not but finally I screamed out loud and sat straight up in the bed. Then I got up and looked all around for the snake for a few seconds before finally waking up and realizing that there was not a cobra in my room. My nightmares have gotten so bad that when I can sleep during the night (which is rare for me right now) I have to sleep with a lamp or nightlight on. It helps if the lights are on when I wake up because if I wake up in the dark it adds to my terror. I've also started having auditory hallucinations when sleeping lightly and I think that I hear the floors creaking and then think someone has broken into my house. Sometimes I almost dread going to sleep at all. All of my symptoms have increased to the point of being ridiculous in the past 9 months but I guess I needed it to get that bad so I could get sick enough of it to finally get a diagnosis. Hopefully once I get on Xyrem I can get some relief and hopefully you will as well.

#5 analyzzer3

analyzzer3

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm terrified of snakes and a few months back I had a dream that a cobra was slithering up the side of my leg. It was almost like I could physically feel it on me. Part of me knew that I was dreaming but I was still in absolute terror and couldn't wake myself up. I'm still not sure if it was sleep paralysis or not but finally I screamed out loud and sat straight up in the bed. Then I got up and looked all around for the snake for a few seconds before finally waking up and realizing that there was not a cobra in my room. My nightmares have gotten so bad that when I can sleep during the night (which is rare for me right now) I have to sleep with a lamp or nightlight on. It helps if the lights are on when I wake up because if I wake up in the dark it adds to my terror. I've also started having auditory hallucinations when sleeping lightly and I think that I hear the floors creaking and then think someone has broken into my house. Sometimes I almost dread going to sleep at all. All of my symptoms have increased to the point of being ridiculous in the past 9 months but I guess I needed it to get that bad so I could get sick enough of it to finally get a diagnosis. Hopefully once I get on Xyrem I can get some relief and hopefully you will as well.

#6 Livi

Livi

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

Very old thread but I just woke up from a nightmare and am afraid to go back to sleep. I've been having nightmares every night lately and wake up from them during or after the pivotal moment. Don't know how to tell myself I'm dreaming like what Asleeper said above, and am afraid to go to sleep. Wish I at least knew how to do that!