Exercise!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think I read somewhere that exercise is good for controlling narcolepsy - helping you sleep better at night. But when is the best time to do it? If you can barely drag yourself out of bed in the morning, how are you going to exercise before school/work? And if you are exhausted at the end of the day, you aren't going to want to go then either. If you can force yourself for a few weeks does it get better and easier to go?

#2 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Start out with something easy and fun. Take a 20 minute walk on your lunch break, or get on your bike after work. I am lucky enough to have a fitness center to use at work on my lunch break, but you can go anywhere and do anything to just get a little more exercise. Don't start out doing too much - slowly build intensity and time into it.

Also, just so you know, there are so many exercise myths out there. I was always told not to use high weight, and just use low weight/high reps or else I would get bulky. Boy was that wrong, and a major waste of time. I now do the highest weight I can safely do 4-6 reps with. Everyone is different, and it's just a matter of exploring your options.

It helps to *eventually* find a routine once you know what works for you; strength training two or three times a week and maybe some cardio twice a week, and allow time to recover in between. It gets easier and much more fun the more you stick with it.

#3 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Start out with something easy and fun. Take a 20 minute walk on your lunch break, or get on your bike after work. I am lucky enough to have a fitness center to use at work on my lunch break, but you can go anywhere and do anything to just get a little more exercise. Don't start out doing too much - slowly build intensity and time into it.

Also, just so you know, there are so many exercise myths out there. I was always told not to use high weight, and just use low weight/high reps or else I would get bulky. Boy was that wrong, and a major waste of time. I now do the highest weight I can safely do 4-6 reps with. Everyone is different, and it's just a matter of exploring your options.

It helps to *eventually* find a routine once you know what works for you; strength training two or three times a week and maybe some cardio twice a week, and allow time to recover in between. It gets easier and much more fun the more you stick with it.

Thanks for the response! Yeah i'm still pretty confused about the weight training/cardio stuff. Seems like there are so many different theories out there about the best way to do it. Question: do you have exercise induced cataplexy? How do you know if it is cataplexy, or if your body is just weak from being out of shape?

#4 Archer

Archer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think that you can exercising with narcolepsy with no problem. As long as you choose an workout schedule that is secure for you. Diving or racing cars is probably not a wise decision, however things like health and health and fitness, golf or identical where you won't be able to harm yourself even if you are hit by a narcolepsy strike while training.