Non-Cataplexy Emotional Connection To Sleepiness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 818sis

818sis

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with IH. My doctor suspects it could potentially be narcolepsy, but all tests were negative.

I am pretty sure I do not have Cataplexy. But my knees do get a tiny bit weak when I laugh hard, or if I'm startled or stunned, but my doctor said that could just be normal.

But I have noticed a connection between my emotions and being tired/sleepy. I was just curious if this is normal too. Please chime in if you have any thoughts.

When my emotions are intense and persist throughout a day, I become extremely tired, having no energy at all. Sometimes my emotions are running so high that I can't sleep, then the next day is worse in both exhaustion and emotion.

Sometimes, though, the opposite happens. If I get very little sleep one night, my emotions will be a mess the next day.

I guess I was just wondering if everyone experiences this, or if it may be specifically related to the IH.

#2 drago

drago

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with IH. My doctor suspects it could potentially be narcolepsy, but all tests were negative.

I am pretty sure I do not have Cataplexy. But my knees do get a tiny bit weak when I laugh hard, or if I'm startled or stunned, but my doctor said that could just be normal.

But I have noticed a connection between my emotions and being tired/sleepy. I was just curious if this is normal too. Please chime in if you have any thoughts.

When my emotions are intense and persist throughout a day, I become extremely tired, having no energy at all. Sometimes my emotions are running so high that I can't sleep, then the next day is worse in both exhaustion and emotion.

Sometimes, though, the opposite happens. If I get very little sleep one night, my emotions will be a mess the next day.

I guess I was just wondering if everyone experiences this, or if it may be specifically related to the IH.

"Weak in the knees" exists as an expression because the general population does experience it. Sometimes with laughter, shock, terror, or extreme joy. But the extremity of the emotion, and the level of weakness, is not the same as in narcolepsy.

I also get weak/sleepy when my emotions run high, especially "person to person" emotions, like anger / frustration. I don't have cataplexy (my DX is narcolepsy W/O cataplexy).

drago

#3 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

I have narcolepsy w/ cataplexy. I always thought the "weak with laughter" thing was normal. My mom explained it as, yeah you feel weak but you know you can still support yourself and hold yourself up. My cataplexy ranges from my eyes feeling really heavy, to my knees giving out, to a total body collapse.

I also get extremely sleepy when I am too emotional. If I get in a fight with anyone I have to take a nap or I'll fall asleep wherever I am. The more emotional I am the stronger the sleepiness gets. As for the opposite happening, the feeling emotional when you don't get enough sleep, I think that happens to everyone. That's why little kids get so cranky when they miss their naptime.