New Diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ssanders

ssanders

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi, I've never posted on any forum ever. But I'm really getting frustrated. I was recently diagnosed with N/C. I first had (what I now know was Cataplexy)when I was 14. I am now 34.
I felt really empowered right after the diagnosis, and I am determined to make the best of this, but now I'm feeling scared, embarrassed, and frustrated!
I am on xyrem, and it is really helping! I take it twice nightly I sleep up to 5 hours! And I wake up early in the morning! I have never done that in my life!
The Cataplexy is really getting to me. And I'm afraid it is going to affect my work.

Long story short, someone broke into my house in December (even though the police now think I was hallucinating)I called 911, they came. They were nice.
shortly there after, what used to be sleep cooking became sleep dialing 911 and hiding in various places around my house and outside my house. The police understandably thought I was nuts, when they weren't thinking I was nuts they were threatening (again, understandably)false reporting.
Over the last few months I have been (by fire dept, paramedics, and police) hand cuffed, restrained onto a gurney, drugged against my will, they tried to put me on a psych hold (thank God they didn't succeed!)So after all of that I now fear the police, the fire department, and paramedics(not so much anymore because they are extremely nice and respectful now)and fear is one of my my C triggers. I was eating dinner with my husband on Friday, and the fire alarm went of in the restaurant, fire dept came, down I go. And I leave the restaurant, with a full glass of wine on the table ugh!

Has anyone else had this experience? What can be done?

#2 thecatnapper

thecatnapper

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I am no longer active on this site but it did help me tremendously through the diagnostic process and I am so grateful for the experience. I learned a lot, not only about Narcolepsy, but about myself in general and I am a much stronger person for it. I wish everyone well.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Welcome ssanders! I'm currently in the process of getting diagnosed and I know what you mean about feeling empowed for a while and then going through some negative emotions. I think it's a natural process of acceptance and then healing, sort of like grief. You are very fortunate to have gotten the Narcolepsy diagnosis before you got lost in the mental health system. I shudder to think how many people that are suffering with this have been misdiagnosed with psychotic disorders. I know a man who's ex-wife had symptoms very similar to yours as far as repeatedly calling the police at night thinking someone had broken into the house. She was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and he divorced her and sent her across the country to live with her parents so she hardly ever sees their 3 children. Now that I've learned of stories like yours I am very suspicious that this lady may have Narcolepsy and her hallucinations are hypnagogic and not of a psychotic nature. It makes me sad to think a family may have been broken up because of misunderstanding. I can understand your embarassment and "triggers" with the police and FD because I've been through something similar although it only happened once but was very complicated! I can't even watch any true crime type TV shows or things like CSI anymore because of similar reactions where I just want to crawl in a hole and never come out. I'm glad the Xyrem is helping you get some restful sleep and hopefully you will get relief from the HH as well. Best of luck to you.

#3 ssanders

ssanders

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thank you so much for your response! I am sorry, I wasn't clear, the first 911 call was because someone really HAD broken into my house...
all the OTHER 911 calls were while I was sleep walking, I don't have any memory of doing it.

#4 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Welcome to the network. I heard about another woman who had trouble with thinking someone was breaking in and would call 911. She eventually moved the telephone out of the bed room and problem solved. She found that by the time she got out of bed and to the phone she was awake enough to realize that it was another hallucination. As for myself I've had a few break in scares but now I realize it's just an illusion and go back to sleep.

#5 ssanders

ssanders

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

Welcome to the network. I heard about another woman who had trouble with thinking someone was breaking in and would call 911. She eventually moved the telephone out of the bed room and problem solved. She found that by the time she got out of bed and to the phone she was awake enough to realize that it was another hallucination. As for myself I've had a few break in scares but now I realize it's just an illusion and go back to sleep.

Thank you! I have REM behavior disorder in addition to the Narcolepsy with Cataplexy. I call 911 during acting out my dreams. (my mind is in REM sleep, but my body is not. (so basically the oposit of cataplexy) But with all of the trauma around the police I am now afraid of them, even though they are much nicer now.
So when I am in a restaurant or the grocery store or on the street, and I see a poilice officer, paramedic, or fire fighter, I have cataplexy.I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Someone actually DID break into my house, and that's what started the dreaming about the break in and the calling 911 while I was asleep.