Photo

Neurogenesis In Hypothalamus Shown In New Study

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Weight Struggles? Blame New Neurons in Your Hypothalamus

The idea that the brain is still forming new nerve cells, or neurons, into adulthood has become well-established over the past several decades, says study leader Seth Blackshaw, Ph.D., an associate professor in the Solomon H. Snyder Department of Neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. However, he adds, researchers had previously thought that this process, called neurogenesis, only occurs in two brain areas: the hippocampus, involved in memory, and the olfactory bulb, involved in smell.
More recent research suggests that a third area, the hypothalamus -- associated with a variety of bodily functions, including sleep, body temperature, hunger and thirst -- also produces new neurons.

#2 gina123

gina123

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Weight Struggles? Blame New Neurons in Your Hypothalamus

The idea that the brain is still forming new nerve cells, or neurons, into adulthood has become well-established over the past several decades, says study leader Seth Blackshaw, Ph.D., an associate professor in the Solomon H. Snyder Department of Neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. However, he adds, researchers had previously thought that this process, called neurogenesis, only occurs in two brain areas: the hippocampus, involved in memory, and the olfactory bulb, involved in smell.
More recent research suggests that a third area, the hypothalamus -- associated with a variety of bodily functions, including sleep, body temperature, hunger and thirst -- also produces new neurons.

I would like to learn more about your story and research....

#3 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

I would like to learn more about your story and research....

I have tons of research on my site- www.zombieinstitute.net
Basics of the orexin system, food allergies and infection and how they all may combine to produce narcolepsy.

Short version- I had narcolepsy all my life. I never stopped napping. Until I was 45 and went on a gluten free diet.
Although I still have other autoimmune problems- I have now been narcolepsy free for five years.
I also have received dozens of reports of similar remissions from other narcoleptics.