Help! My Son Wont Stop Eating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gina123

gina123

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

My 11 year old son has narcolepsy. We are currently on Effexor 75 mg, and he cant stop eating. He is currently 50 lbs over weight, and gaining rapidly. I am very concerned! Xyrem did not work for us, made him much worse. I need suggestions. We are seeing nutritionist. I think he needs to be off effexor, and on a stimulant. Perhaps that will help his narcolepsy and his weight... Any thoughts.

#2 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Orexin is a neurotransmitter that controls metabolism. If you do not produce enough, your insulin production is increased.

Hyperinsulinemia leads to Obesity.
If you are Hyperinsulinemic and eat low fat food, you will become hypoglycemic- the excess insulin converts most of the food to fat and starves your body and brain of glucose. Not surprisingly- low blood sugar also causes a desperate craving for food. If you continue to eat a high carbohydrate diet, you just compound the process. The more carbs you eat, the fatter you get and the lower your blood sugar goes.
Insulin also inhibits use of fat as an energy source. So even if you lower your caloric intake, you won't lose weight.

Much much more information on dietary control of narcolepsy at my site.

#3 gina123

gina123

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

You are right! I will read your website. I know this is the answer, before I even read your website. I would like to email you.... Paulsurinder1@yahoo.com