Narcolepsy Scholarships Or Grants?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AshleyShelton

AshleyShelton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I am a 22 year old narcoleptic who is trying to go back to school for nursing. I finally got my narcolepsy under control with the help of my Xyrem and Neuvigil. I figured now was the time to start college again (for the 3rd time).

My husband and I are in financial crisis (like most). My parents are unable to help me out because they are both narcoleptic and on disability.

I have been trying to find scholarships or grants for people with narcolepsy. I have had no luck at all!!!! Does anyone out there know of any or can you point me in the right direction?

I just am trying to better my career for my family but can't because we are broke! If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

#2 Bexterina

Bexterina

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ashley, I am beginning graduate school and I could not find any scholarships either.

#3 AshleyShelton

AshleyShelton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ashley, I am beginning graduate school and I could not find any scholarships either.

Yeah I think someone needs to start a narcolepsy scholarship!!!!

#4 Sisu

Sisu

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

I don't think there is anything. I go to school at night and it's crazy... At least I know I'm not the only one in school! (at 35)

#5 Bexterina

Bexterina

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't think there is anything. I go to school at night and it's crazy... At least I know I'm not the only one in school! (at 35)

Sisu, I am 27 and just started going at night. Do you have any advice for managing? So far I can barely make it in the door when I get home because I am so exhausted.

#6 Sisu

Sisu

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Planning!!!!

Seriously. Cook on the weekend and make your meals. You need dinners for the week, plus lunches if you're working days.

Do laundry and set out your clothes for the week. This is so you won't have to last thing at night. Set out your entire evening in the morning- you can even put the toothpaste on your toothbrush if you have one of those little toothbrush covers. I sometimes even have my xyrem mixed ahead!

Plan. Look at the material every morning, because there are no all night study sessions for you. Start papers as soon as they are assigned and when you're feeling well, read ahead in the textbook.

Ask to record classes, so that you can listen to them again when your head is clear.

If your school has a disability office, register with them. Let them know your accommodations may include recording classes, and that if you fall asleep in an exam it may need to be retaken. Bring a letter from your doctor.

Above all, it comes down to planning. Plan as if you will be at your worst, because it's easy to do more when you feel well, but you're going to have to get through this even at the worst of times.

I'm absolutely around to talk to about this. It gets really hard sometimes. But you're not alone. It's nice that I'm not either!!!

#7 Bexterina

Bexterina

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Planning!!!!

Seriously. Cook on the weekend and make your meals. You need dinners for the week, plus lunches if you're working days.

Do laundry and set out your clothes for the week. This is so you won't have to last thing at night. Set out your entire evening in the morning- you can even put the toothpaste on your toothbrush if you have one of those little toothbrush covers. I sometimes even have my xyrem mixed ahead!

Plan. Look at the material every morning, because there are no all night study sessions for you. Start papers as soon as they are assigned and when you're feeling well, read ahead in the textbook.

Ask to record classes, so that you can listen to them again when your head is clear.

If your school has a disability office, register with them. Let them know your accommodations may include recording classes, and that if you fall asleep in an exam it may need to be retaken. Bring a letter from your doctor.

Above all, it comes down to planning. Plan as if you will be at your worst, because it's easy to do more when you feel well, but you're going to have to get through this even at the worst of times.

I'm absolutely around to talk to about this. It gets really hard sometimes. But you're not alone. It's nice that I'm not either!!!

Great advice. Thank you! I did register with my university's disability office. So far I have not requested any accomodations other than the ability to stand in class when needed and the notification of my disability to professors. It's also nice to know I am not alone and have someone I can talk to.

#8 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Your advice is excellent--if only I knew I had narcolepsy during grad school and had read this two years ago. :(

I fell asleep during my PhD qualifier exam. At least looking back, I'm almost positive I did (as soon as I got out of the 4hr exam, I told my friend who picked me up that I had, but I thought that didn't make any sense at the time--it does now). The school made it nearly impossible for me to complete a semester without a problem. They were so disorganized, they would forget to pay for my tuition, they wouldn't give me a stipend, my advisor would forget to submit a grade for research credits I was taking..............

And so I technically completed all of my credits for the Masters without thesis option (52 credits vs. 40 credits) more than a year ago...even though I did research, anyway. But because my advisor forgot to submit a grade for 2 research credits, the school froze one of my registration periods for a semester even though I continued to take those courses on the advice of a professor (and did well!). I stupidly offered to write a paper summarizing all of the research that was done for my advisor so he could change the grade he never submitted, even though I knew my memory was terrible and I every time I try to concentrate on writing a paper I fall asleep. And now I've been delaying writing the paper for a year; ever since I found out I have narcolepsy, so I'm sure the school will make me repeat that whole semester I did great in.....and it just seems futile.

I've been wanting to tell them why I didn't pass the PhD qualifier, but I never wanted to get my PhD from the school in the first place...so I think I'll look at that as a bullet dodged, even though I could've passed that exam if I were awake for most of the 4hrs.

Grad school has been hell. But I've always been interested in surgery, so I'm entertaining the idea of medical school sometime in the future. I just don't know if it's even possible!

This post = my attempt at getting fellow narcoleptics to kick my butt so I write that paper and get that Masters I've been owed for awhile :blink:

#9 Fireyshamrock

Fireyshamrock

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Great advice on getting in touch with the schools disability office. I will do that so I can record the classes etc. So glad I saw this post.

@Enginerd - how on earth are you seriously a paper away from a masters and just whining about it on a forum. I know that its hard with bein a narco and all but seriously, thats a life changing document (degree). Go write your paper already! I know you can do it! Just do a section at a time, I know it seems tedious but just one little bit at a time, small chunks and you can get totally get it done~