Narcoleptic Girlfriend, Says Hurtful Things When Half Asleep

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustThinking

JustThinking

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I've been with my girlfriend for almost two years. (I'm 26, she's 21) She has narcolepsy as well as a learning disability. I educated myself on Narcolepsy so I understand it more now. I just want to know if anyone carries on conversations while half asleep. Because, I can tell when my girlfriend is fully asleep and she sleep talks. But, sometimes its like she's awake and talking to me, watching tv and then she says something out of character. Like something that's hurtful or hostile. When awake she doesn't remember saying it and apologizes. Or she'll freak out and tell a friend to leave and then fall asleep. Has anyone else done that?

#2 Fluffybunny5000

Fluffybunny5000

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Magic The Gathering, Fishing, Boating, Walking, Reading, Animals, Movies, Music and Painting

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've been with my girlfriend for almost two years. (I'm 26, she's 21) She has narcolepsy as well as a learning disability. I educated myself on Narcolepsy so I understand it more now. I just want to know if anyone carries on conversations while half asleep. Because, I can tell when my girlfriend is fully asleep and she sleep talks. But, sometimes its like she's awake and talking to me, watching tv and then she says something out of character. Like something that's hurtful or hostile. When awake she doesn't remember saying it and apologizes. Or she'll freak out and tell a friend to leave and then fall asleep. Has anyone else done that?

Yup. and she is lucky to have someone like you that would take the time to study narcolepsy and ask questions as well. I have entire conversations i have no recolection of and when they are mentioned it usually upsets me as well. My memory used to me something that i could depend on 100%. I am in law enforcement and now i have to be more careful and take notes. Because when I am questioned about what i saw or heard, sometimes i draw a complete blank! It has effected my career, my friendships, my relationships, my life.

Has she been sleep walking yet? I like to empty the spices onto the countertops and stack the chairs and open the oven. I also get up running and screaming (usually running away from inmates or somethign at work) I fall asleep and its like im somewhere else like a time portal or whatever.. I have no idea that i fell asleep and it makes it difficult to distinguish reality from dream sometimes. But usually is WORSE when i've not been getting rest. And my conversations when i'm falling asleep.. i love it.. I'll be talking normally and then i say something really off the wall. Sometimes i remember saying it and the person asks me why i said it and i can never answer that question it really aggrivates me because you get a little confused.. i like to just say like i read on these forums.. "idk i guess i narc'ed out on ya!"

#3 swiggles

swiggles

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have done this!

Happy to hear that you are trying to understand :) I sometimes recall saying things and sometimes not. When I do remember saying things I also remember the horribly intense anger/confusion emotion that paired with the hostility in the first place and it does Not feel like myself at all. It is very embarassing.

Right after I usually fall asleep, or return to sleep or leave the room angrily to go sleep alone and am pretty sure that it is now recognizeable enough to my boyfriend to not take personally. It especially sucks when other people are present/overhear and things are misunderstood. I have no issue with and would prefer the boyfriend to bring up these comments/occurences afterward to clarify that it was Indeed a sleep induced comment and to not harbour any ill feelings. I wouldnt want him to rub it in saying "look what I have to deal with, you're so mean" etc (becuse it isn't voluntary) buuut it IS something that he has to deal with and I would hate to have to hear lil spiteful comments if the roles were reversed! This is definitely not the biggest issue but glad you posted about it because I assume that it is both common and overlooked.

#4 Bexterina

Bexterina

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

First of all, I commend you for researching N and trying to understand what your girlfriend is facing.

I talk in my sleep very often, especially if I fall asleep in the living room in the evening. If my sister is on the telephone and I am sleeping and can hear it, I will respond to her conversation. Apparently sometimes I ramble random things that don't make sense, and other times I am totally with it and occasionally insulting. One time I even responded in perfect German as I know a little bit of it. Please don't take her sleeping words personally.

#5 drago

drago

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

"Half asleep" isn't the right term. I believe it's technically called Automatic Behavior - which is something acted out in a microsleep (meaning, the person is not conscious). According to parents and old roommates, I carry on full conversations. Sometimes it's obvious (I'll say something like, "What about those logical think tanks?" out of context) that I am not awake, but most of the time I seemed lucid. My dad use to throw advance math at me to "check" if was awake. Apparently I can do math in my sleep. I say apparently because I don't remember doing any of this.

Also, should anyone try to wake me up, if I do hit automatic behavior, I tend to be fairly nasty. Once, the word 'hysterical' was used. Again, no memory of this. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with possible similarities to sleep paralysis (which tends to be frightening) - automatic behavior could be a similar experience (I don't know b/c I don't remember it) which would trigger very very VERY negative, even panicked, behavior.

I won't write down what I said, but according to an old friend, I said something particularly vindictive once, something that he insisted was "targeted" to upset him. I was confused because what he repeated back to me wasn't something I ever really think, let alone something I'd say out loud. I said something like, "You know how a woman giving birth my say things that are terrible? It's not just the pain; it's also the hormones and sleeplessness and all the stress on the body." I think I convinced him with that. I'm not sure he really believed I was asleep when I said it, though.

I know that people like to make assumptions about psychological elements. (i.e. some people assume that a drunk person is more likely to tell the truth, when in actuality a drunk person only has lowered inhibitions - it's far from a truth serum, esp. if the individual has high inhibition against lying) Do everyone a favor, including yourself: DO NOT TAKE THE COMMENTS AS PART OF THE CONSCIOUSNESS. Modern psychology has promoted the idea that subconscious/unconscious ideas and elements in the brain could "accidentally fall out" in certain situations, even when conscious choices would stop the person from expressing them. This is unfortunately a widely accepted (and assumed) idea. I say unfortunately because people with rare disorders (and people who have disorders that are misunderstood) are often subjected to these assumptions when they don't apply. Me shouting something very unpleasant to a close friend is closer to a manifestation of one of my worst nightmares unfolding than some unconscious opinion I don't express because I am too "nice."

I only write the above paragraph because I have had more than one person insist that things I (apparently) expressed in automatic behavior "must be true" (and worse, somehow "more true" than my conscious statements the next day). When a close friend decides they have new insight on your inner landscape because of an event from a neurochemical disorder and you can't even get them to consider they might be wrong --- let's just say it's extremely frustrating!

I'm glad you are dedicated to learning more about narcolepsy. I wish more of my family & friends would do the same.

drago

#6 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

This post has me thinking... My ex would always say I said this or that... and I would say no that never happened, an example:

I met these comedians at a bar, me along with 5 or so friends got to go to their show for free and hang out with them after. The hotel had a pool and the 8 of us jumped in fully clothed... (pictures of us fully clothed on facebook) the ex tells me recently that I told him we were skinny dipping and I had a thing for the married one and was all over him??... neither of the guys were married... I did however go on a couple of dates with the other guy (not the "married" one)

I get mad at him saying no your story is way off... why are you making these things up, why would I tell you I wanted a married guy... and go skinny dipping with 8+ people in an outside hotel pool... nooooooo I DO NOT THINK SO!!!

Maybe I was asleep and told the story all wrong? No, I am pretty sure he was just a jealous ass and changed the story to upset me!

Who knows!

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

This post has me thinking... My ex would always say I said this or that... and I would say no that never happened, an example:

I met these comedians at a bar, me along with 5 or so friends got to go to their show for free and hang out with them after. The hotel had a pool and the 8 of us jumped in fully clothed... (pictures of us fully clothed on facebook) the ex tells me recently that I told him we were skinny dipping and I had a thing for the married one and was all over him??... neither of the guys were married... I did however go on a couple of dates with the other guy (not the "married" one)

I get mad at him saying no your story is way off... why are you making these things up, why would I tell you I wanted a married guy... and go skinny dipping with 8+ people in an outside hotel pool... nooooooo I DO NOT THINK SO!!!

Maybe I was asleep and told the story all wrong? No, I am pretty sure he was just a jealous ass and changed the story to upset me!

Who knows!

Some people are just like that (Your Ex). They try to create a reality distortion field around them that always swings things in their favor. I had a "friend" that would say one thing and mean another. But when I called them on what they were opaquely implying or mentioned it to someone else, they would be all "I didn't say that! You're putting words in my mouth." Basically, it was their way of being an antagonistic asshole, then being able to go back later and deny all knowledge, therefore making me look like the dick. We all have selective memory that conveniences us in ways, but some jerks deliberately strive to rewrite history.

#8 Pkay

Pkay

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Designer/Electronics Tech.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Very common with N. She's young and hasn't been on her meds long im guessing? My first few years while I was learning to function as an adult with my N and my meds I was a terror to my girlfriend at the time. Just know that she doesn't mean it, and that once shes awake and functional she'll be back to vocalizing her emotions a bit clearer lol.