• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rgeorgie22

Rgeorgie22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Networking, learning, sports, photography, traveling

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi! My name is Rachel and I am a student at Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX. I am 26 and was diagnosed with narcolepsy with mild cataplexy in fall of 2007 and have been on the roller coaster myself since 2004. I am doing a project and research paper for my Survey of Exceptionalities course over narcolepsy in the education system and the current laws and information around this. This includes accommodations offered by the school, the amount of knowledge of educators on this disability and what needs to change. I am looking for information related to the legal aspects of this and the process it took to get this for yourself or your child, the accommodations received and if it is helpful or not, information if you are an educator in EC-12th grade and your experience with school's policies, what narcolepsy is listed under or classified as if anything in the education arena etc. HELP! I am having a hard time finding information regarding this because it isn't even listed in my book which is problematic enough to me. Also, I would like to know how other people function and their experiences in school and fighting through this. Thank you soooo much! Cheers!

#2 Delta

Delta

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Teaching, Family

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi Rachel. I have begun to try to find answers to the same questions recently, but I haven't found much yet. I'm a high school teacher in Houston ISD, and I can tell you that the educational system is clueless about narcolepsy and cataplexy. The admin. at the school where I teach is understanding and supportive, and allows me small "accommodations" such as cutting me slack for arriving late, and occasionally leaving early for doctor's appointments. I haven't asked for any other accommodations, and the admin. hasn't required documentation from my doctor. On the other hand, I've missed a number of days of work this semester due to various aspects of N and C, and because of that, I received a "needs improvement" score on the "Complies with teacher attendance policies" portion of the End of Year Summative Appraisal Rating. Not a big deal, maybe, since my overall rating is still "Effective," but I do find it annoying since my appraiser knows my absences are due to my disability. Additionally, my department receives an EVAAS bonus every year of about $2,000, but now I will not be getting the bonus since I missed more than eight work days.

I'm going to keep trying to find out more about Houston ISD policies, and I will pass on to you anything I do find, if you still need the information. (I just noticed that you posted this nearly a month ago. Have you found any info? Did you have to change your topic due to lack of info?)

#3 AshleyShelton

AshleyShelton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

When i was in high school, i had a dr. note that said i could take a 30-1hr nap every day during school. At first the school was like yeah right but after they called my dr and asked her they had no choice but to grant this! I did better in school my senior year than any other year!

That 1hr nap was the best thing that ever happened to me in school!

~ashley shelton