Prejudice From Coworkers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sometimes

sometimes

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Many of my coworkers view me as a druggie due to the medication I take. The problem is, they are very non-confrontational. I can't defend myself, because they never accuse me. Not only that, they're incompetent when it comes to the issue of proper treatment of sleep disorders, and, thus, the task of fairly defending myself becomes exponentially more difficult. I would gladly take a drug test, but this does nothing to address their general lack of knowledge in the area of sleep medicine. I'm not sure what to do. I either have to speak with ever person individually, or call a conference, both of which seem inappropriate for a private medical matter.

#2 AYCV

AYCV

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, hiking, yoga, healthy eating

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Many of my coworkers view me as a druggie due to the medication I take. The problem is, they are very non-confrontational. I can't defend myself, because they never accuse me. Not only that, they're incompetent when it comes to the issue of proper treatment of sleep disorders, and, thus, the task of fairly defending myself becomes exponentially more difficult. I would gladly take a drug test, but this does nothing to address their general lack of knowledge in the area of sleep medicine. I'm not sure what to do. I either have to speak with ever person individually, or call a conference, both of which seem inappropriate for a private medical matter.

Really our condition is no ones business and shouldn't be if you don't want it to be. Yeah let them think, imagine whatever they want. As long as it doesn't affect your job. The main person that really needs to know if its affecting work is really your boss. And tell your boss to keep it confidential or if you don't want to say tghat u have n then just say that your under medical care that requires you take certain meds-don't say which ones if you don't want to.
Remember its what makes u confortable. The world doesn't need to know.

#3 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

I've had this same problem. I've been accused, people have even gone to my manager. The manager and the department manager say they don't care as long as I'm doing my work. There is nothing they can do. So I simply stopped caring about this, although it's tough. If someone asks me now about my medicine, I would be open and explain to them that I have Narcolepsy and I am trying out different treatment avenues. If they choose to be rude or act strange to me, fine, I will still be nice and courteous to them all the time. I have to be here 40 hours a week and I'm just going to make the best of it.