• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AYCV

AYCV

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, hiking, yoga, healthy eating

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

How many of you find it difficult to explain it to your partners, coworkers, so called friends if you have any and even family...who think they know what it is and give you advice..........just sleep more, just exercise more, just try holistic stuff, just do this do that like they know what is going on..........like if they get to experience the mental fog, the memory lapse, feeling sleepy and unable to function?
IKve had it with everyone but thankfully to this forum I get to write out my frustrations here.
Ok I feel much better thank you!!!

#2 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

My boyfriend, who is very understanding and supportive, keeps telling me that I'll feel better if I get some fresh air and get out of the house. I appreciate him very much, and I'm sorry, but that does nothing to help and only makes me feel worse! Take a person who is sleepy already and then make them get up and out of their comfort zone and do things! I'm better when I have my couch, bulldog and electric blanket!!!

#3 Fluffybunny5000

Fluffybunny5000

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Magic The Gathering, Fishing, Boating, Walking, Reading, Animals, Movies, Music and Painting

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

i understand your frustation.. i get crap from everyone and just lost the love of my life because of this. She just wont listen she doesnt believe its from the narcolepsy she thinks im lying to her (ommition is lying) and i cant make her understand i've tried and tried.. she thinks i'm just making it up to make her believe me. It makes me so sad :(

#4 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that, Fluffybunny. She should trust you and support you. If not, then I wonder if she's really worth it anyway? I think that it can't be easy to be with a narcoleptic, but it definitely is not impossible for PWON to deal with.

#5 AYCV

AYCV

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, hiking, yoga, healthy eating

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that, Fluffybunny. She should trust you and support you. If not, then I wonder if she's really worth it anyway? I think that it can't be easy to be with a narcoleptic, but it definitely is not impossible for PWON to deal with.

I have given up on trying to explain what is wrong with me. I'm just being myself from now on. If they don't understand me now I don't think that they ever will. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.
I have you guys.......my new friends!
AYCV

#6 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

AYCV,

I feel the same exact way... and it is a little uncomfortable when I have to tell someone that I have N, I was just complaining to a coworker how I didnt take my stimulants in the morning and therefor didnt sleep well at all last night... I didnt realize she didnt know my sleeping disorder, and when i told her she laughed. Its not funny... I try to explain... but your right, they just do not understand.

#7 shakysleppy

shakysleppy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

I agree, it is definitely not easy to explain to anyone, especially in a relationship or work aspect. Everyone dismisses Narco as a BS disease and that we are all just lazy. The guy I share a office with has gotten use to me falling asleep, he usually will holler at me to wake up or walk by and kick my chair and chuckle about it. I find it embarrasing myself, I have always been a extremely hard worker and a go getter and now i dont even want to go to work or feel like doing anothing. Its extremely depressing for me and I hate it when people make their comments. I have one guy at work who constantly making fun of me, nicknamed me sleepy and will ask me a question and then say oh nevermind you were probaly asleep. I know exactly how you all feel and it sucks.

#8 Lorz

Lorz

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I used to be more ambitious as well. I feel like I still am, but lack the energy to follow through. I want to go back to school and get my degree, but I can't imagine it right now, even though I'm slowly feeling better. I still live in this slow, sleepy world as if I'm walking under water.

#9 shakysleppy

shakysleppy

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Motivation is the key, but I just never seem to have it either.. Lol
I personally a awaiting to see what the military is going to do with me now that I am diagnosed.