Photo

Imminent Danger Please Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fluffybunny5000

Fluffybunny5000

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Magic The Gathering, Fishing, Boating, Walking, Reading, Animals, Movies, Music and Painting

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I am going to loose my job that I've been at for 5 years if I am late again. I am constantly struggling with arriving to work on time. I am really struggling with oversleeping I am to the point I am goin to have to hire a babysitter to come to my house and get me every day. I am freaking out I am an officer with the state of Florida and I am good at my job. I work a lot of overtime and they are well aware of the situation but I don't know what to do. Here lately I've had several sp attacks and unable to wake myself and sometimes the imaginary jerk in me that turns off my alarms for me and I have no memory of it.. And my ex who I still live with tries to help but it depends on her mood if I can depend on her or not. I have to hear you are grown its not my job. But she will wake me though and I don't remember because I fall. Ack asleep. I am literally a zombie When I wake up. I already got Xfered from 1st to 2nd shift and I don't want to work midnights but that may be my saving grace.

Do I have any protection under the law?

Should I even use that if I do? Cant I be targeted?

Disability is not an option I'm not that bad I can't work I just need some slack on this I'm trying everything I can but I don't think they get it. I just look lazy to them.

#2 HeatherP

HeatherP

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I just recently asked for accomodations at my job... I think you don't have to go "disability", but you basically have a partial disability in that you need accomodations to do your job (like a later start time, scheduled nap during the day). For this you need a doctor's note recommending such, revealing your N diagnosis, and take it to your HR person. There is a difference between having a disability (N), and applying for disability insurance (like thru the government or your employer).
PS I've also planned my schedule so I get larger blocks of sleep at night, (was getting 7-8 hours which I THOUGHT should be sufficient... body wants 10-12 hours per night) and take Provigil once I am up - this is helping

#3 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Funny, you said the magic word- Zombie.

You need to change your diet. Narcoleptics are sensitive to sugar and you are clearly eating too much.
Orexin cells run your intestines and many foods can affect them. Gluten allergy seems to affect a lot of us.
I have done tons of research and have been in remission for almost five years.

I used to be a zombie, but now I'm not.

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:When not at work I enjoy hanging out with friends, going to the flea market,or staying home creating art and being crafty.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Wow I'm def at the same point at my job. I work for a hotel as a banquet server which consists of crazy hours(3am) and long shifts (14hrs), sometimes I'll get off from working a function at 12 and will be scheduled at 5am. I'm not even sure if that's legal.With out my Med's theirs no way I'd still be employed which is Adderal 30mg. But upon being hired I filled out paper work saying I had no disability that would prevent me from doing what was required of me. I never disclose this information to employers I don't want a label, special treatment, or to be joked about. But I am getting to a breaking point. I've been employed at this hotel for a little over 3 months if I tell HR now could they automatically terminate me for lieing to them in the first place? They know I'm a hard worker and am dedicated to what I do but being late and oversleeping shows the opposite. If anyone has any answers on what to do they'd definitely be appreciated.