Use Of Provigil With Little Ones

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kanders

kanders

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

My son, Aidan, was just diagnosed with Narcolepsy at age 5 this past Dec. . We started him on provigil. About three weeks ago we increased his dose and he began to have intense mood swings and outbursts. He would be laughing and having fun, suddenly get upset, and then burst into tears all within 5 minutes. Has anyone else had kids on provigil with this reaction. Or are outbursts just part of dealing with Narcolepsy with children? Thanks, k.

#2 Taylenne

Taylenne

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

K,

My daughter was diagnosed with Narcolepsy 10 months ago at 5 yrs old as well. We haven't tried Provigil, but we did put her on Prozac for the cataplexy. We've seen similar mood issues with her too - from vacant moments to outright disobedience to snarky disrespectful attitudes all the way to sweetness, happiness, playfulness and easy-going-ness (is that even a word?). We thought it was the medication, but maybe it's the fatigue associated with being narcoleptic? Being tired all the time can really make a person miserable... Just thought I'd share that we too, are having mood issues over here. Good luck!

Taylenne

#3 gina123

gina123

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Mood Swings... Yes!!! The medication that my son was on caused alot of mood issues, and we did not realize this untill he had surgery and was not able to take his medication. He is like a different child now. Much better. I am so thank ful for that surgery. The medication that he was on actually made his narcolepsy worse. No one would have known, or guessed, because it was suppose to help. The problem is our little ones can not express themselves, and tell us about side effects. Yes my son gets moody when he is tired, but nothing like when he was on the meds. Hope this helps..

#4 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hey, all of you with young children who have been diagnosed with narcolepsy...how did your kids act when they were babies? Did they tend to be "quieter" and sleep more? Or were they fairly average in that they still cried plenty, woke you up at night, and were active?

I'm wondering because my sister seems like she could have narcolepsy, like me. She doesn't have sudden nap attacks where she passes out, but she's tired ALL the time, and if you let her sleep, she'll sleep for 12 hours at a time. She also has very vivid dreams, talks in her sleep, and she never seems like she's well-rested, no matter what. That's kind of how I felt before I was diagnosed, except I started having random muscle weakness (mild cataplexy) that I blamed on sitting or standing for too long, occasional sleep paralysis when I was really tired, and then some odd stuff like sleep-walking (hadn't done that since I was a kid).

My Mom has mentioned many times how my sister was a very docile and well-behaved baby. She apparently used to "sleep a lot" as a newborn, and even well into her toddler years. In fact, during her first few weeks home from the hospital, my Mom says she slept so well that she had to wake her up just to feed her! There are also a lot of photos of her napping as a youngster. I know she had one really bad stomach flu when she a few months old, so I'm wondering if maybe she's just always been narcoleptic, and it started young. I've been tired for a long time (since 10 or 12, at least?), but I always pushed myself to be active, at least when it came to using my brain.

With the way my Dad acts (dozing off in front of the TV, shutting his eyes at random times during the day for 30 seconds, insisting on taking a nap before roadtrips, drinking 5 - 6 cups of coffee every day his whole life, etc.), I'm pretty sure I inherited the narcolepsy from him, but he refuses to go to any doctors for anything. My sister is the same way. She knows that she should get a sleep study, but she's...sorta scared...to go alone. So she said she would go if my Mom does, but my Mom doesn't want to waste her time because she's not excessively tired or anything (she does snore, however haha). So I don't know how to get my sister to have a sleep study done, but I'm curious about whether or not her habits as a baby might've indicated a sleep disorder early-on.

#5 Taylenne

Taylenne

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

'Enginerd' asked:
Hey, all of you with young children who have been diagnosed with narcolepsy...how did your kids act when they were babies? Did they tend to be "quieter" and sleep more? Or were they fairly average in that they still cried plenty, woke you up at night, and were active?

My daughter was a great sleeper as a baby. She slept through the night at 8 weeks old. As a toddler, she often put herself to bed for naps without prompting - she'd just be gone and I'd frantically search for her and find her in her bed. She gave up napping during the day the month she turned 3 so clearly, she wasn't narcoleptic at that point, but she certainly enjoyed sleeping and slept very well at night, getting a solid 12-13 hrs of sleep every night.

She ended up getting diagnosed with narcolepsy and cataplexy 10 weeks after having a severe bout of pneumonia, which we all believe was the trigger for the narc. She was 5 1/2 years old at diagnosis. The first symptom of narc was that she started napping for 2-3 hrs each afternoon again, after not napping for 18 months. 8 weeks after the napping started, she developed cataplexy and was diagnosed 2 weeks later.

I doubt she had narcolepsy as a baby or toddler. I truly believe it started after being triggered from the pneumonia she had.

Tay

#6 sometimes

sometimes

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

My son, Aidan, was just diagnosed with Narcolepsy at age 5 this past Dec. . We started him on provigil. About three weeks ago we increased his dose and he began to have intense mood swings and outbursts. He would be laughing and having fun, suddenly get upset, and then burst into tears all within 5 minutes. Has anyone else had kids on provigil with this reaction. Or are outbursts just part of dealing with Narcolepsy with children? Thanks, k.

Provigil is often incorrectly portrayed in the media as being a benign substance. It can definitely have strange adverse effects, and mood swings don't sound strange. That being said, being deprived of sleep when I want to sleep, is comparable to being in physical pain.

#7 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Provigil is often incorrectly portrayed in the media as being a benign substance. It can definitely have strange adverse effects, and mood swings don't sound strange. That being said, being deprived of sleep when I want to sleep, is comparable to being in physical pain.

Provigil and Nuvigil have not been shown to cause any mental disease (based upon what we know about their mechanisms of action); however, a severe adverse reaction to taking either drug can include the triggering of mental illness IF the person is predisposed to mental illness, or the exacerbation of an existing one--i.e. going from mildly depressed to clinically depressed, or suddenly exhibiting symptoms of bipolar disorder. In this case, you should stop taking the drug until you have a chance to discuss these serious side-effects with your doctor.

What's good about Provigil and Nuvigil is that they do not directly affect dopamine pathways in the brain, like Ritalin and Adderall, leading to their lower Schedule classification and addictive potential.