Photo

Work,schedules And Lifestyle

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tammie

Tammie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Staying awake... My grandchildren, Photography, Facebook, History, Family.... all the important stuff! ;)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I have found that the older I get, the harder it is to maintain balance in my life and keep my narcolepsy symptoms minimized. I not only have narcolepsy but also sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, high blood pressure and osteo arthritis. I had both knees replaced in a two year period (total knee replacements) and one is failing. So I take a lot of pills in the morning. The problem is, I have to take this one 2 hours before a meal, another 1 hour before, another WITH a meal and yet another 2 hours AFTER a meal. Plus if I take them too fast I get ill and start vomiting.

As far as my narcolepsy goes, the older I get the harder it seems to be for me to wake in the morning. Two of the drugs I am taking are provigil 250 mg and Cymbalta 120 mg. The Cymbalta helps with not only the narcolepsy but also fibro and osteo. And depression too, of course. At any rate... right now my work schedule is M-F 40 hrs/week. Monday thru Wednesday I start at 10:00 A.M. and Thurs-Friday I start at 8:30 A.M. This is killing me lately and my supervisor refuses to change my schedule so I can start at the same time every day! I just can't tolerate flexible schedules anymore, it seems. Seriously, I feel it isn't an unreasonble request. I Just want to be able to come in at 10:00 every day! That's only 1 1/2 hours difference twice a week! And originally I Picked my own hours! My job is not one where other people can not do their job if I am not there at a certain time.

I'm getting tired of always explaining myself. And I've had it with people who don't understand. Actually I'm just tired of feeling like I'm always fighting a battle I cannot win! In regards to my narcolepsy AND my work schedule. This all causes me so much stress because I'm always worried about being late and it even effects my sleep because it is always on my mind. I am going to apply for reasonable accomodation and hope that will take care of it. But has anyone else had experience with reasonable accomodation? I've always just tried to work things out myself and not use fmla or reasonable accomodation but it is to the point I have to to protect myself and my job. Why does life have to be so friggin complicated?

#2 Big Dog

Big Dog

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Range Target Shooting, Blues,

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

If I'm not mistaken, your employer is obligated to make some accomidations. I didn't disclose my narcolepsy to a previous employer and they still made time available for me to nap when I needed too. The ADA is pretty overwhelming even to the well versed HR bean counter so in many cases they will find a way to make things easier for you. That doesn't mean they have to change your hours, but they do need to recognize the rights you are entiled to. Just remember, they don't understand narcolepsy, but they do understand employment liability!

BD