Photo

Study Advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kayra

Kayra

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, video games, film stuff, random artsy junk that's fun to do, making costumes.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi, I've been recently diagnosed, August of 2011. I knew there was something up and was misdiagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago, so its taken a while to figure this all out. There's been jokes most of my life about having the condition but now I'm trying to figure out how to manage it with full time college and a job. I don't have the most desirable gpa but seem to be getting by. I was looking for advice on how to effectively study at night time which seems to be most difficult for me and that's when I have the most free time. Are there any kind of grants or scholarships for this? How do people manage working and going to school? I can't afford to ditch the job.

#2 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi, I've been recently diagnosed, August of 2011. I knew there was something up and was misdiagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago, so its taken a while to figure this all out. There's been jokes most of my life about having the condition but now I'm trying to figure out how to manage it with full time college and a job. I don't have the most desirable gpa but seem to be getting by. I was looking for advice on how to effectively study at night time which seems to be most difficult for me and that's when I have the most free time. Are there any kind of grants or scholarships for this? How do people manage working and going to school? I can't afford to ditch the job.

I am right there with you! I was going to school part time to earn my Associate's and finally finished it last month. The school I transferred to has five 8-week terms, so if I take two courses per term, I will be considered a full time student. I think I might be a little bit crazy to take this on, but I'm losing my patience and getting very tired of school. Therefore, I'm trying to push through as much as I can. What are you studying?

I have been taking courses in the evenings, which was only going ok because the content was stuff I already knew. If I fell asleep, it wasn't a big deal. But the drive home, especially after stimulants have worn off, was scary a few times. My husband and I thought it would be safer and more effective for me to try to take online classes as much as I could for the rest of my Bachelor's degree. I'm hoping this will allow me to do the homework when I'm feeling more alert, even if it means I have to somehow cram it in on weekends.

For one of my classes that wasn't offered online, I worked out a deal with my boss to take it during the day. It's during lunch, but it does mean I'll be taking about a 1.5 hour lunch two days out of the week. He's totally cool about it because I almost always put in over 40 hours anyway. My point is, if you have a boss that would be willing to let you adjust your schedule a bit, maybe you could take some time during the day for some of your courses and/or doing homework?

As far as grants or scholarships, there aren't any that are specifically for narcolepsy that I've seen. However, narcolepsy is considered to be a disability, and there are scholarships for those with disabilities. You could try to apply for those, but the chances of getting one are probably fairly low.

Good luck with your studies!

#3 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

I work and go to pharmacy school. Chewing gum helps me stay awake. Short 15 min naps help me. There is no use in studying if you are really tired. Pushing all night will not help retain anything. Managing stress is important. I'm not sure about grants but that's something your school could tell you about. Also, colleges accept Narclolespy as a disability even for graduate school. I get extra time on tests and I get to record lectures.

#4 Kayra

Kayra

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, video games, film stuff, random artsy junk that's fun to do, making costumes.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am right there with you! I was going to school part time to earn my Associate's and finally finished it last month. The school I transferred to has five 8-week terms, so if I take two courses per term, I will be considered a full time student. I think I might be a little bit crazy to take this on, but I'm losing my patience and getting very tired of school. Therefore, I'm trying to push through as much as I can. What are you studying?

I have been taking courses in the evenings, which was only going ok because the content was stuff I already knew. If I fell asleep, it wasn't a big deal. But the drive home, especially after stimulants have worn off, was scary a few times. My husband and I thought it would be safer and more effective for me to try to take online classes as much as I could for the rest of my Bachelor's degree. I'm hoping this will allow me to do the homework when I'm feeling more alert, even if it means I have to somehow cram it in on weekends.

For one of my classes that wasn't offered online, I worked out a deal with my boss to take it during the day. It's during lunch, but it does mean I'll be taking about a 1.5 hour lunch two days out of the week. He's totally cool about it because I almost always put in over 40 hours anyway. My point is, if you have a boss that would be willing to let you adjust your schedule a bit, maybe you could take some time during the day for some of your courses and/or doing homework?

As far as grants or scholarships, there aren't any that are specifically for narcolepsy that I've seen. However, narcolepsy is considered to be a disability, and there are scholarships for those with disabilities. You could try to apply for those, but the chances of getting one are probably fairly low.

Good luck with your studies!

Right now I seem to be okay in classes where the content I'm somewhat familiar with or it's easy enough to memorize like history. I'm studying communications and digital media. The classes that are usually most difficult are math and science because those are usually the longest classes and they're not my strong subjects to begin with. This semester I'll be class about 30 hours a week and I actually have to find another job since I was threatened of being fired at the part time job I was at. This is the first time I'll be regularly on medication while going to school.

#5 Kayra

Kayra

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

I work and go to pharmacy school. Chewing gum helps me stay awake. Short 15 min naps help me. There is no use in studying if you are really tired. Pushing all night will not help retain anything. Managing stress is important. I'm not sure about grants but that's something your school could tell you about. Also, colleges accept Narclolespy as a disability even for graduate school. I get extra time on tests and I get to record lectures.

Five of my classes are three hours long. I registered with the disability office a day or two before last semester ended, on the student accommodations would I ask if I could nap between the two three hour classes? Would that be something that they would grant?

#6 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Five of my classes are three hours long. I registered with the disability office a day or two before last semester ended, on the student accommodations would I ask if I could nap between the two three hour classes? Would that be something that they would grant?

Naps between classes would be something they would grant. In fact I would request a room to nap. I have heard of other people doing this I just haven't because I have full days with breaks where I do nap. It might give you the little rest you need to get through classes. I would record lectures if you can. I record them so if I do nod off I can go back and listen to that part and take notes. It is amazing you do so much and great you are pursuing your education even when it's hard.