Photo

Houston Area Support Group

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SleepZombie

SleepZombie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, reading, dancing, friends, movies, music, helping people.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

My name is Amanda and I live in the greater Houston area and I would really be interested in getting together with other narcolepsy/IH/Sleep disorder patients in the area just for coffee or tea. None of my family understands what I go through every day and it's hard to bring it up with friends who think I'm over exaggerating my symptoms. If anybody is interested reply back and we can maybe exchange emails!

#2 Delta

Delta

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Teaching, Family

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi Amanda, I am Cindy. I live in northwest Houston, around the Cypress area. Other than going to work, I don't get out much right now, but I would be happy to chat with you now and then. I'll have more time over the summer (I hope) since I'm a teacher and don't work in the summer. During the school year it's all I can do to keep up with all the demands of teaching. I just go to work, come home and rest, eat, grade papers, go to bed. Everything else falls on my poor and wonderfully patient and understanding husband.

I know what you mean about family not understanding. My husband and kids do, but my parents do not. I just don't talk to them about it. When I was a teenager they wondered why I slept so much, and my mom speculated that I might not be sleeping well at night. She bought me a new pillow. Years later when I was diagnosed with N & C, she and my dad said, "That's ridiculous!" I don't really talk about it to anyone, though my two sisters know and a couple of friends know. They cannot really relate, so I just leave it with "now's not a good time." I talk to my husband about it of course, and often he has to pass things on to my doctor for me. I feel lucky that the Principal and AP where I teach are supportive even though they don't really get it.

Hang in there :)

#3 Spot

Spot

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

I live in NE Houston and know just what you mean. I've lost most friends and the few left cannot really grasp it. Depressing and frustrating at the same time. Which for me just makes the narcolepsy worse. I work near the Galleria, shoot me a message or email if you like. Would be nice to talk to someone who can relate without patronizing.
Spot.