Photo

Wired Magazine - Frontal Cortex Blog Post On Orexin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Why Sugar Makes Us Sleepy (And Protein Wakes Us Up)

"The reason the orexin system is so important is that it links the needs of the body to the desires of the mind. Several studies have demonstrated that the intake of sugar can decrease the activity of orexin cells, which is probably why we want to nap after a carb heavy lunch. This phenomenon also begins to explain the downward spiral of obesity triggered by our warped modern diet. Because we eat lots of refined sugars, washing down Twinkies with cans of Coke, we continually reduce levels of orexin in the brain, which then reduces levels of physical activity. In other words, we get fat and sleepy simultaneously..."

#2 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Lotta stuff. And not a lotta other stuff

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

See how lucky we are? We narcoleptics don't have any orexin cells anyway and so we are immune.

But you can see how sugar has affected various industries. In restaurants, they no longer provide big, glass sugar dispensers, you have to use those paper packets that contain a few grains of the offending substance. This way they avoid table loads of people zonked out on sugar, taking up space and causing a loss of profit.

An up and coming industry is developing a new sleep aid to be introduced as soon as they can think of a scientific sounding name for sugar. Probably it will be called Oxicretinozonkout. It will feature TV commercials delivered with a soothing female voice gently warning of possible side effects such as suicide and other causes of sugar induced death... "Call your doctor to see if Oxicretinozonkout is right for you!"

Ain't science wunnerful!

nite nite
Emo

#3 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Working, playing in the water, hanging out with the BF and playing Skyrim, traveling.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

I just find it fascinating that in the comments Heidi posts how she/he is symptom free! Gosh, I wish all us narcoleptics were so darn lucky! I like this article though. It explains really well the effects of having little to no oxcretin.

#4 AckDreams

AckDreams

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I have found changing my diet has helped a great deal. No carbs or snacking on sugar during the day, no gluten, high carb dinner and 3 hours wait before I take my night medication and no midnight snacks; all this in conjunction with my meds has made me much more alert during the day and far less C