Nuvigil And Hormonal Birth Control

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 therodoggswife

therodoggswife

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hello everyone I was just diagnosed with narcolepsy last week Friday. I just started taking Nuvigil this week and I already feel 100% better. It is like I have been walking in a fog for years. My only issue is that everything I have read stresses that you cannot take Nuvigil and hormonal birth control together because the nuvigil will reduce the effectiveness of the birth control. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have already went to see my ob/gyn and I have asked her if she could give me info on and IUD. She was able to give me some literature on a Paragaurd IUD and I am trying to decide if this is going to be what I decide to use in lieu of hormonal birth control.

#2 sleepyk

sleepyk

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

I am in the exact same boat. I am thinking about the copper IUD, but I haven't seen my obgyn yet to discuss options. Kind of ironic, because now that I'm awake taking Nuvigil, my sex life with my husband can be better, but we're afraid of pregnancy:rolleyes:!

#3 therodoggswife

therodoggswife

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I am in the exact same boat. I am thinking about the copper IUD, but I haven't seen my obgyn yet to discuss options. Kind of ironic, because now that I'm awake taking Nuvigil, my sex life with my husband can be better, but we're afraid of pregnancy:rolleyes:!

I definitely understand that especially since you have to stop taking nuvigil if you are pregnant from what research I have done. But I am feeling so much better taking the nuvigil.

#4 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

I have the Mirena. I asked my OB/GYN about Nuvigil and the Mirena after my neurologist said DH and I would have to use a backup contraception in addition to the Mirena. My OB/GYN said the Mirena is not affected by Nuvigil.

#5 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Working, playing in the water, hanging out with the BF and playing Skyrim, traveling.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

I use Depo-provera since an IUD has that 3 year period going on. The Depo shot is only for 3 months, so if I want a kid, I don't have to waito a couple years to finally have one.

#6 Ermc26

Ermc26

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

I use Depo-provera since an IUD has that 3 year period going on. The Depo shot is only for 3 months, so if I want a kid, I don't have to waito a couple years to finally have one.

Depo is also compromised by nuvigil, so do be careful. My neuro neglected to inform me of this when she prescribed it and I did not know I had been having unprotected sex until I had gotten my period which had never happened in the year's time I had been taking it before. Luckily, I then looked at the website and discovered it by myself. I was under the impression that most birth control does not work with this medication, I would say you best bet is to try hormonal birth control and a good ol' barrier method. That's what I do and (knock on wood) no babies yet.

#7 jrose622

jrose622

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

I recently started Nuvigil and after reading all the inserts, I realized that there would be a problem with my birth control pills. Nobody had even mentioned this to me! Both my neurologist's office and the pharmacy knew that I am on both, but it seems like it wasn't a big enough deal to mention that it makes me at risk of getting pregnant.

The Drug Interactions list for Nuvigil has essentially all of the types of birth control that use the hormone progestin in them. Under the avoid/alternative use category are: Birth control pills (oral progestin and other combo contraceptives), Implanon (etogestrel subdermal implant), Mirena IUD (levonorgestrel), and the Depo Provera shot (medroxyprogesterone acetate). My gynecologist said that NuvaRing and the Patch are also ruled out because they are progestin based as well. She seemed to be the only person who actually took the time to find out what options would work for me instead of just saying, 'well, guess you'll have to use a barrier method' like the neuro's office.

The most reliable method for pregnancy protection (99%) that I have come across while taking Nuvigil is called ParaGard, which is a copper IUD, so no hormones. Initially it can be pretty expensive, but you can keep it in for up to 10 yrs so in the end it would probably be less expensive than the pill has been for me. It just seems so strange to have something up in your body for so long and it still to be safe. Has anybody here ever had one of these?

If I can't find a reliable method of birth control with Nuvigil, it makes me want to request a different med. Even though this nuvigil has been working really well for me (no constant need for napping, being alert and able to stay awake for my law school reading and classes, even fewer cataplexy episodes)

#8 SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi! This is my first time posting. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy a little over a month ago and my doctor prescribed Modafinil (Provigil) for me. I use NuvaRing and it's by far my favorite birth control, so I was disappointed to find out Modafinil can change its effectiveness. I talked to my doctor yesterday to talk about other options and he really didn't think I should switch. He said the other options he has for me are Riddalin or Adderall, which are addictive and don't work as well, and usually his patients using them only choose them because they don't have good insurance and can't pay the huge cost of Modafinil. He went on and on about it so I guess he likes Modafinil a lot more.

Anyway, I know this thread is a bit old but I just saw my gyn today and thought I should share what she told me. First of all, she told me Mirena's effectiveness shouldn't be reduced as much by Modafinil because it doesn't work entirely by hormones that Modafinil interferes with--it also thickens cervical mucus and thins the lining of your uterus. I'm guessing some of you already knew that because I read something similar in another post, but I'm getting to a point, which is that she told me about a new IUD called Skyla. I haven't seen any forum posts about it so here I am contributing!

I'm kinda excited about this because I had a bad experience with Mirena a couple years ago. The insertion was the worst pain I've EVER felt. I didn't take any pain pills beforehand but I really don't think it would've helped. I took ibuprofen afterward and that did nothing. I threw up from the pain. After a couple hours I was in tears and worried something was wrong, so I called my gyn and she prescribed vicodin for me, which finally did it. After about 6 months I managed to expel it somehow, but not before it being stuck where it shouldn't be for a couple weeks. It was horribly painful and I didn't know what was going on until my gyn did an ultrasound and couldn't find it.

So today my gyn tells me that Skyla is pretty much the same thing as Mirena (and made by the same people), only it's smaller and it's better for women who haven't been pregnant, like me! I don't know if that will make the insertion less painful, but my gyn seemed to think I'd be less likely to expel it (dunno why though). I read an interesting article about Skyla (Hello, Skyla! Getting to know the newest IUD) that says "The FDA approved Mirena based on studies that included only women who had a child" while Skyla "was tested and FDA-approved for women who have no children".

Anyway, I thought people might like to know if they haven't heard about it. And if anyone has tried Skyla I'm eager to know what you think! I'm not decided yet--I don't know if I'll have to relive the pain over again...  :unsure: 

#9 Ms. Sleepy Fish

Ms. Sleepy Fish

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

I know this is a relatively older forum, but I haven't seen any recent forums that discuss the topic. I have recently been diagnosed with N and am taking Nuvigil. My doc and pharmacist have both told me about the side effects, including decreasing the efficacy of the pill. However, I do not know how, if at all, it will affect my menstrual cycle. If it changes the way the pill works, will it change my cycle? Half of the reason I take the pill is to control the intensity of my period. What are your experiences, if any?

#10 SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

I know this is a relatively older forum, but I haven't seen any recent forums that discuss the topic. I have recently been diagnosed with N and am taking Nuvigil. My doc and pharmacist have both told me about the side effects, including decreasing the efficacy of the pill. However, I do not know how, if at all, it will affect my menstrual cycle. If it changes the way the pill works, will it change my cycle? Half of the reason I take the pill is to control the intensity of my period. What are your experiences, if any?

I've only been diagnosed/using Modafinil for a couple months, so I don't have much experience to go off of, but I did notice a slight difference in my period. I use NuvaRing and my period almost always starts on the fifth day after I take it out. Last month, it started on the fourth day. This month it started on the fifth day, but my cramps seemed a bit more painful and ibuprofen/Midol didn't seem to work as much as they usually do. My period is still stopping as quickly it always has once I put NuvaRing back in though. Hope that helps...

#11 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

The issue with contraceptives is that the Nuvigil affects certain enzymes in the liver.  Some medications are metabolized (broken down) in the liver into inactive forms.  Provigil and Nuvigil actually speed those enzymes up.  So any medications you take that are metabolized by those enzymes -- in this case, it's the enzymes that metabolize birth control pills -- will get metabolized faster, and you'll have less active medication in your bloodstream.  So it shouldn't change your menstrual cycle...I think.