iris

Headaches W Nuvigil

6 posts in this topic

i was just diagnosed with significant sleep apnea and narcolepsy 2 months ago....i am still off work, unable to drive...when i started the Nuvigil my Doctor told me to take 1/2 to one tab (225mg) daily...i took 1/2 tab two days and then did not sleep for 2 nights...not to mention the nausea, dizziness and headaches....so i cut it back to 1/4 tab once daily and was able to tolerate that but did not see much effect from it....after couple weeks i tried to increase ever so slightly-3/8 of a tab (or a 1/4 tab plus a half of another 1/4 tab)...headaches plagued me again...

saw my doctor last week and he asked me to try 1/4 tab twice daily...by 2nd day the headaches were back...ugh....after the 3rd day i decided to give myself a holiday and havent taken any Nuvgil today- will start again tomorrow...i am told the headaches will eventually pass- but how long doe sit take? i have already been on it 2 months ;-/

I'm sorry you're going through this. Were you prone to headaches before starting Nuvigil?

I started Nuvigil in September of this year after being diagnosed. I suppose it is the go-to drug for new patients. My doctor warned me that I may have headaches because I suffer from occasional migraines. Sure enough, I experienced the WORSE migraines I'd ever had. I started off with 1/4 tab in the mornings for a week before moving on to 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 in the afternoon. That was all I could ever tolerate as far as side-effects, but it wasn't enough to help with the EDS. My doctor ended up switching me when I went back in early November. If you feel you've given it a fair chance (2 months seems long enough to me!), ask your doctor for something else.

Good luck!

i was just diagnosed with significant sleep apnea and narcolepsy 2 months ago....i am still off work, unable to drive...when i started the Nuvigil my Doctor told me to take 1/2 to one tab (225mg) daily...i took 1/2 tab two days and then did not sleep for 2 nights...not to mention the nausea, dizziness and headaches....so i cut it back to 1/4 tab once daily and was able to tolerate that but did not see much effect from it....after couple weeks i tried to increase ever so slightly-3/8 of a tab (or a 1/4 tab plus a half of another 1/4 tab)...headaches plagued me again...

saw my doctor last week and he asked me to try 1/4 tab twice daily...by 2nd day the headaches were back...ugh....after the 3rd day i decided to give myself a holiday and havent taken any Nuvgil today- will start again tomorrow...i am told the headaches will eventually pass- but how long doe sit take? i have already been on it 2 months ;-/

I agree, 2 months is a long enough trial. I just stared Nuvigil, and had a slightly upset stomach, but that's all, but it's been less than a week. But again, after 2 months, I would think symptoms should lesson.

I too take nuvigil. I just started this week. It gives me the worst migraine, where I have to lay in bed and not move. I hope things get better for you!

I too have recently started Nuvigil, although at a lower dose (150mg, 1x/day.) My best advice would be to pick a dose, perhaps 1/2 tablet 1x/day, and stick with a constant dose for a week or so, to see how that effects you.

I started my first dose on a Friday, around 11 a.m., had a horrible headache the entire day, and could not fall asleep until 6:30 Saturday morning. The next day I took the dose around 9 a.m, same headache, same insomnia. I finally started putting a little structure to the dosage, and began setting an alarm for 5:00 a.m (no matter WHAT time I need to be up in the morning,) taking my pill, and going back to bed until I want or need to wake up. I have found that taking a consistent dose at a consistent time every day has made my headaches disappear, as well as let me fall asleep at a decent hour every night.

Best of luck to you, and keep us all posted on your progress!

thank you everyone for your kind thoughts....have been taking the Nuvigil nearly every day in one dose amount or another or dosing schedule or another for nearly 3 months (as much as 1/2 of 250mg tab which gave me headaches. nausea and no sleep)...up till today...i just dont think i can manage it any more...even 1/4 tab in the morning and 1/4 tab in the afternoon leaves me feeling manic and trouble sleeping...just a 1/4 tab in the morning gives me such an unpleasant adrenalin rush for hours then crash...ugh!