Photo

Handing Out Candy Canes To Educate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Working, playing in the water, hanging out with the BF and playing Skyrim, traveling.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

This past weekend there has been a slew of christmas events going on in my small town. The christmas parade on Saturday, and the Christmas Open House on Sunday. I'm not sure everyone knows what I mean by open house, so let me a explain it a bit. An open house, at least in Gloucester, VA, is when all the stores on main street lure customers in with treats and great sales. There's a always lots of food, carolers, socializing and Santa even wanders the streets. Now that I got that explanation out of the way, let me explain what 'Candy Canes to Educate' is. I bought a LOT of candy canes. Somewhere around 200 I think, like 20 boxes. Then I went to the library and made up near 200 little tags with "Help Raise Awareness of Narcolepsy; Please visit www.narcolepsynetwork.org to learn more" on the front and a fact about Narcolepsy on the back. I tied all of these to the candy canes with ribbon (I'm now an expert at curling ribbon!) and handed them all out at the open house, explaining that I wanted to raise awareness for Narcolepsy and make it more known. Some people were skeptical and some had lots of questions. And honestly, even if only a few people read the tags and learn more about Narcolepsy, I feel I'll have made a difference.
What do you think? There are going to be a lot more christmas events this month, should I keep going?
(Please note I don't ask for donation for the candy canes, I just simply hand them out and tell people what their for and answer any questions they might have.)

#2 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

This past weekend there has been a slew of christmas events going on in my small town. The christmas parade on Saturday, and the Christmas Open House on Sunday. I'm not sure everyone knows what I mean by open house, so let me a explain it a bit. An open house, at least in Gloucester, VA, is when all the stores on main street lure customers in with treats and great sales. There's a always lots of food, carolers, socializing and Santa even wanders the streets. Now that I got that explanation out of the way, let me explain what 'Candy Canes to Educate' is. I bought a LOT of candy canes. Somewhere around 200 I think, like 20 boxes. Then I went to the library and made up near 200 little tags with "Help Raise Awareness of Narcolepsy; Please visit www.narcolepsynetwork.org to learn more" on the front and a fact about Narcolepsy on the back. I tied all of these to the candy canes with ribbon (I'm now an expert at curling ribbon!) and handed them all out at the open house, explaining that I wanted to raise awareness for Narcolepsy and make it more known. Some people were skeptical and some had lots of questions. And honestly, even if only a few people read the tags and learn more about Narcolepsy, I feel I'll have made a difference.
What do you think? There are going to be a lot more christmas events this month, should I keep going?
(Please note I don't ask for donation for the candy canes, I just simply hand them out and tell people what their for and answer any questions they might have.)

I love, love, LOVE this. In fact, I love this so much my legs feel all noodle-y! :D At CVS this week, you can get candy canes for $1.27 and get back $1.27 in ExtraBucks, so there's a way to get a "free" box of candy canes. I say if you enjoyed getting out there and felt that it empowered you, go back out there and do it some more!! Oh, and did you use black ribbon? From what I've seen on the 'net, that seems to be the color chosen for narcolepsy awareness.

I just ordered a t shirt and was planning on wearing it out with some brochures or something, but the candy canes are even better! Would you mind if I borrowed your idea and posted about it in my blog? BTW, if you are interested in writing a guest post sharing your experience with doing this, send me a message.

#3 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Working, playing in the water, hanging out with the BF and playing Skyrim, traveling.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I love, love, LOVE this. In fact, I love this so much my legs feel all noodle-y! Posted Image At CVS this week, you can get candy canes for $1.27 and get back $1.27 in ExtraBucks, so there's a way to get a "free" box of candy canes. I say if you enjoyed getting out there and felt that it empowered you, go back out there and do it some more!! Oh, and did you use black ribbon? From what I've seen on the 'net, that seems to be the color chosen for narcolepsy awareness.

I just ordered a t shirt and was planning on wearing it out with some brochures or something, but the candy canes are even better! Would you mind if I borrowed your idea and posted about it in my blog? BTW, if you are interested in writing a guest post sharing your experience with doing this, send me a message.

I do love doing it. And not black ribbon (kind of hard to find this time of year cheap) just the normal christmas ribbon that you can curl with scissors. I don't mind if you borrow it. I'm planning on launching a website soon on it called "Candy Canes to Educate" (original... I know, but it gets the point across) and have already gotten a blog started on it. And I'd love to do a guest post. Anything to get the word out and people informed! And I get mine from walmart for .98 a box, there isn't a CVS near me.

#4 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

That is so awesome. I like the website idea, too! :)

I'll send you a message with my email address so we can chat about the blog post. Thank you so much!

#5 Rrrapture

Rrrapture

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

You're fabulous! I love the idea. Thinking about you doing that (and the various responses you might get) makes me chuckle and feel proud at the same time.

... I tied all of these to the candy canes with ribbon (I'm now an expert at curling ribbon!) and handed them all out at the open house, explaining that I wanted to raise awareness for Narcolepsy and make it more known. Some people were skeptical and some had lots of questions. And honestly, even if only a few people read the tags and learn more about Narcolepsy, I feel I'll have made a difference.

#6 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I made a website too! www.candiesforacause.webs.com that I hope to purchase as a domain, but at the moment I am low on funds, so it's the free version. Hopefully by the first of the year I will be able to have the whole thing up and running, because right now most of it is underconstruction. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

#7 AYCV

AYCV

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, hiking, yoga, healthy eating

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

I made a website too! www.candiesforacause.webs.com that I hope to purchase as a domain, but at the moment I am low on funds, so it's the free version. Hopefully by the first of the year I will be able to have the whole thing up and running, because right now most of it is underconstruction. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

I love this idea for awareness but in the month of march not in december..........I don't know just a thought.