Photo

What Computer/smart Device And Apps Are Most Helpful?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tdmom

tdmom

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

With Christmas coming I am looking at all the electronics out there. Wondering which of the smartphones or ipads or computer tablets would help my son (age 16, a junior in high school) best. Any apps you found particularly helpful?

#2 nerkie

nerkie

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Working, playing Xbox, napping in the sun

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've found that my iPod touch has been a god send. Yes, I got it at first, mainly for the music and fun games (I received it in 2009, befor emy diagnoses) now I use it in ways to help me cope with my Narcolepsy. The one thing that has helped me the most with my iPod is the built in clock app. You can set multiple alarms and easily label them, set different tunes for them, and switch them on and off. I use them every day for meal and snack times. The first couple of weeks I was on Provigil I kept forgetting to eat because I was no longer hungry. So having these alarms made it easier. Plus, the motivational music I put on it helps me to stay awake at work. Another application that I love is my Scatterbrain app. It's a very simple application for lists for people like me, who due to the blips in memory, can't remember a darn thing. I just type a quick reminder in my app and that thing that I was supposed to do when I got home, but normally forgot about 2 seconds after I thought of it, is now getting done.
Hope this helps!

#3 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

With Christmas coming I am looking at all the electronics out there. Wondering which of the smartphones or ipads or computer tablets would help my son (age 16, a junior in high school) best. Any apps you found particularly helpful?

I love my iPhone. Almost everything I do is tracked on my phone. I use an app to track my runs/exercise, one to track what I eat, one to track to-do's and other notes (I use Scatterbrain like nerkie!), and the clock app to set various alarms (also like nerkie mentioned). I can also keep up with email at work and school in one place, look up common side effects of medications I'm taking, and keep up with my schedule with the calendar. Oh, and I can call people, too. :D

#4 Narco-Nurse

Narco-Nurse

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Regular alarm clocks don't work very well for me. They don't wake me up enough and are so easy to turn off that I can do it with my eyes closed (and often do...resulting in oversleeping). But I recently found a Smartphone app called Alarm Clock Xtreme that actually forces me to open my eyes and think making oversleeping virtually impossible. To turn off the alarm this app requires users to correctly solve simple math p roblems. The number of math problems to solve is customizeable as is their difficulty level. There's a snooze option of variable duration that can be set to increase the number of problems to be solved will increase each time it's selected acting as a disincentive for snoozing. There's also an option to override silent mode so can you leave your phone ringer off when sleeping and the alarm will still be heard loud and clear.