• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sleepycheese

Sleepycheese

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Music, Fish,

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'm a 28 heterosexual male and single. Having a hard time finding a date? Are there any Narcolepsy dating websites? This disease is troublesome with relationships. It pretty much ended my last relationship. Anyone also have any funny/sad stories they would like to share about relationship situations? Just thought I would put this out there.

#2 kelli

kelli

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

im 20 and in my first relationship with a man who has grown to accept that narcolepsy is a part of who am i and who i will become. Being tired all the time inevitably affects the things i do, or better yet, try to do but fall asleep in the process. if my boyfriend were narcoleptic, however, very little would get accomplished. he helps give me so much drive. this may not be an adequate reply, but i just felt like posting something biggrin.gif

#3 mpollock

mpollock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:48 AM

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read this.

Is it hard to find a date because you have narcolepsy? Unless you're wearing a scarlet N on your shoulder it shouldn't be the first thing people identify you with. (Unless you're introducing yourself at the bars as "I'm a 28 year old heterosexual. I have narcolepsy." - and even then- few people really know what it is to be immediately turned away.)

The second post here is right - two people with narcolepsy would be a strange couple!!

I'm a 25 y/o het. female - and my life has still progressed just fine even though I'm always sleepy and falling asleep, and I even go on dates. If you see narcolepsy as a problem in your life - so will everyone else. To me? I just look at it as balance - we can't be perfect & everyone's got their issue!! LOL

In summary, I'd suggest working on your game. That should help you get those dates regardless of whether you have narcolepsy or not. -JMO-

#4 Sleepycheese

Sleepycheese

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Music, Fish,

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Thanks pollack for the kick in the head. You told me what I needed to hear. My game is pretty good, I just haven't had the confidence to use it for awhile.

#5 David L

David L

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

Funny stories? If getting really tired right before your about to have sex is a funny story than the answer is yes, I a few tongue.gif

#6 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

If a date even FLINCHS at the idea of you being narcoleptic, they aren't good enough for you...

If both people in a relationship suffer from cataplexy, avoid that special first date at the comedy club! smile.gif

I know I could take some opposing views for this, but I am a firm believer in online dating match-up services for us. It gives us a chance to feel out the person's personality before going out with them. The technology in matching personalities is getting remarkably good.

My wife and I met online over a decade ago, and were online friends for a very long time before we ever met in person. It's very helpful to know each other well before ever meeting face to face. Of course, this was my experience, and yours may differ, but I do believe it is worth trying...

BE PICKY....

Don't waste your time hoping a person might "come to accept" your narcolepsy! It's just as if the person had to "grow to like" your skin color if it's not the same as yours. Think of it this way: If you were an amputie, would you have to put up with a mate who "might" be able to come to terms with it? No way! What is up with us narcoleptics is no different!

I love the Scarlet Letter "N" comments! SOOOO true!!!!!!

Best of luck! You'll find the right one....You'll make it happen!

-Stu

#7 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

(David L)
Funny stories? If getting really tired right before your about to have sex is a funny story than the answer is yes, I a few tongue.gif

Some day you will have to share that story with me. I'm sure we all have at least one of those laugh.gif

Sleepycheese, you don't need game to get a date you need to meet people. When I met my husband he couldn't stand me and vice versa laugh.gif laugh.gif . But I was lucky enough that we shared some of the same friends at the time. After 18 years together I'm glad I got to know him since I would never want to be without him. But I am asuming you are looking for love. If its lust well then thats different then you need to be at the top of your game 8)

#8 luv2sleep

luv2sleep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Sleepycheese @ Oct 18 2007, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a 28 heterosexual male and single. Having a hard time finding a date? Are there any Narcolepsy dating websites? This disease is troublesome with relationships. It pretty much ended my last relationship. Anyone also have any funny/sad stories they would like to share about relationship situations? Just thought I would put this out there.

do you have cataplexy?

#9 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Sleepycheese @ Oct 18 2007, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG -- I absolutely hate it when my wife turns to me in the morning and says "that was really good last night". All I can do is shrug and quip "hmm, sorry I missed it -- so, uh, was it as good for you as it wasn't for me? blink.gif )

Way back in the day -- I was going with someone who always called me on sunday mornings to talk. We were about 2 and a half years into it and things were starting to get serious (trust, confiding, darkest secrets, etc, etc). Well, this one morning, all I remember was waking up in bed with the phone in my hand. She was yappin' away on the other end and the first words I could understand were something to the effect "it's kinda complicated, what would you do?". mind you this is before I had any inkling of having any kind of sleep disorder, so I was just wigged out by it and had no way to recover. All I could do was be honest and said "Uh, Tina, I'm sorry, but how long have we've been talking?", she hesitated and said "an hour or so, what? why? you know that!?!", I said, "uh, honestly, somehow I just 'woke up' and I'm sorry, I have no [^(*&] idea what we're talking about. can you tell me again?". OMG, she absolutely flipped! declaring I didn't care, she had spent all that time spilling her guts and I was just ignoring everything she said, on and on and on for about a minute. she then slammed down the phone and I essentially crashed and woke up again a couple hours later. I tried to call back and even stop by but she never returned my calls or answered the door. 2 and half years wasted? who knows. I do laugh at it now, but I often wish that I would run into her again to explain, now that I know what actually happened.

Funny? Tragic? you be the judge! cool.gif

#10 rantboy

rantboy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Sleepycheese @ Oct 19 2007, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cataplexy as an advantage

I do not read women well. I can't tell for sure if they enjoy being with me. People lie. You know - little white lies - to please, to be accepted, to not upset someone especially relative to sex. I saw a woman a few times who had cataplexy. One time while performing falletio she had an attack. I KNEW she was enjoying herself.

#11 SureSleepsalot

SureSleepsalot

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Good Thread. Thanks for the topic... I'm 28, male, and can't find a chick either... but thats b/c I have no sex drive, and thats b/c I have a fleshlight,(.com) and thats b/c...Posted Image ? ...IDK? Its just easier. Less "work". Cost Less. I don't have to get all emotional with it. Its ready when I am... (that kinda thing)

My advice.= Give up. Set yourself free from the "rat race" of trying to find a warm place just to toss a load in... SLeeves of fleshy material ARE AVAILIABLE.

(Sorry Ladies) but that little thing b/w your legs has no control over me, is highly over-rated, and is the cause of a lot more misery than pleasure...(IMHO)

So, look at the bright side, at least you have a chance at getting a woman... Me? ...nope... Never... Why? b/c I let them know right off the bat, I will not be manipulated by sex... nothing will make a woman not intrested faster than telling her that...(IME)

(Again, sorry ladies, but I tell it like it is) (and we all know you can't get a girl like that)

So? What to do...? LIE, ...your ASS OFF! Tell em whatever they want to hear, and never, ever, ever, ever ever ever, let them know about your N.
Lie to em, make it sound Fly to em... If you collapse, play it off, if she asks you about it, change the subject, the only time it is "Safe to tell her" ...is post climax cuddling pillow talk... Women don't want the truth... (Always remember that) (they say they do)(but they don't)

...I've already said too much...

(hope that helps)

#12 Shady Lady

Shady Lady

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Good Thread. Thanks for the topic... I'm 28, male, and can't find a chick either... but thats b/c I have no sex drive, and thats b/c I have a fleshlight,(.com) and thats b/c...Posted Image ? ...IDK? Its just easier. Less "work". Cost Less. I don't have to get all emotional with it. Its ready when I am... (that kinda thing)

My advice.= Give up. Set yourself free from the "rat race" of trying to find a warm place just to toss a load in... SLeeves of fleshy material ARE AVAILIABLE.

(Sorry Ladies) but that little thing b/w your legs has no control over me, is highly over-rated, and is the cause of a lot more misery than pleasure...(IMHO)

So, look at the bright side, at least you have a chance at getting a woman... Me? ...nope... Never... Why? b/c I let them know right off the bat, I will not be manipulated by sex... nothing will make a woman not intrested faster than telling her that...(IME)

(Again, sorry ladies, but I tell it like it is) (and we all know you can't get a girl like that)

So? What to do...? LIE, ...your ASS OFF! Tell em whatever they want to hear, and never, ever, ever, ever ever ever, let them know about your N.
Lie to em, make it sound Fly to em... If you collapse, play it off, if she asks you about it, change the subject, the only time it is "Safe to tell her" ...is post climax cuddling pillow talk... Women don't want the truth... (Always remember that) (they say they do)(but they don't)

...I've already said too much...

(hope that helps)

Wow. I'm sorry but your post truly shows to me that you have no respect for women at all. You do not understand us at all. I hope you change this pattern of thinking, unless you honestly do want to be single for the rest of your life. There is nothing wrong with "telling it like it is", but if that is how it really "is" according to you, don't be surprised if NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MIND, will ever appreciate this disgusting, insulting, and completely disrespectful point of view of yours. What woman wants to be told by a man upon first meeting, that this man will "not be manipulated by what is between her legs". We are not all like that, we do not all look to manipulate a guy by using sex;However, we do hope that men that we meet, that we care about, will value us as women and cherish us and want to put the effort to treat us well to not only get into our pants but to get into our hearts as well. We want to be appreciated, and no we will NOT have sex with you if you treat us like dirt and make comments like the comments you made in your post here. This post really upset me, it is disturbing that there are men out there who truly feel this way, I hope most men are not like this - frankly, no wonder you are single.

#13 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

Heh, I've fallen asleep on dates...

#14 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

Heh, I've fallen asleep on dates...

So, have I....at least now I know I have a condition....

But, not only does my mom not believe that these conditions are real....she's given up on me ever not being single or grandchildren....

Though still sorting out just what all I have....wish I didn't have to do this all alone....

The Dreamer.

#15 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

I love your post because it is so true. Narcolepsy is not who we are. It can be so easy to let it consume us, and that is the only thing we think and talk about. Im not going to lie it is hard not to let it consume you but it sounds like you have a lot going for you, and the right mindset.

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read this.

Is it hard to find a date because you have narcolepsy? Unless you're wearing a scarlet N on your shoulder it shouldn't be the first thing people identify you with. (Unless you're introducing yourself at the bars as "I'm a 28 year old heterosexual. I have narcolepsy." - and even then- few people really know what it is to be immediately turned away.)

The second post here is right - two people with narcolepsy would be a strange couple!!

I'm a 25 y/o het. female - and my life has still progressed just fine even though I'm always sleepy and falling asleep, and I even go on dates. If you see narcolepsy as a problem in your life - so will everyone else. To me? I just look at it as balance - we can't be perfect & everyone's got their issue!! LOL

In summary, I'd suggest working on your game. That should help you get those dates regardless of whether you have narcolepsy or not. -JMO-

#16 sleepycakes

sleepycakes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

i have severe cataplexy - triggered by exertion as well as the traditional emotional issues, & although needless to say, plus all the narcolepsy issues too. so i too find the idea of dating something that is just not an option. great i meet a guy i don't bring up N then i laugh too hard & my head hits the table or my body twitches or i try to stand up & my legs give out. ok so date 1 goes off w/o a hitch & things go smoothly until we see a movie & i have an episode. what if we actually get a steamy momemt & i have an episode during?! all this plus being unable to work & not driving & not drinking?! yeah i don't think of dating as an easy or very viable option. none of the stories here seem to support the idea either - i know i don't want to ever be ok with sleep sex. so. . .any real dating advice out there?