• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Lotta stuff. And not a lotta other stuff

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

Here's a little bit of stuff that comes to me. Well, some has come and went and may return butcha can't count on it.

You board members and staff artists, watch out for the Blond Kid (Shawn). He'll sneak things past you without you even knowing about it. He does it a lot to me because, unlike you all, I'm often just a bit dopey or sleepy and stuff gets away from me.

But here is one that I just barely caught: We were wondering aloud where Eveline Honig lives. The overall conversational impression was New York. Shawn seemed to tie it down, saying with an authoritative voice, "She lives in New York. You can tell by her accent." He does this sort of thing with a straight face and an innocent expression and it will go right over your head if you aren't careful.

About the list of conference attendees. This started out as a parting handout at each conference. It had detailed information including full names, addresses both physical and email for everybody that was willing to have it shared with others. It is a valuable convenience and a means of communication between newfound friends, and a good memory aid for people like me that can't remember names worth a dillypoop. But each year has become one of increasing paranoia. Yep, all that attendance stuff is PRIVATE! What if somebody outside the PWN group got hold of it? Gulp! Seems I remember it got so bad, they only printed out people's first names (!) and what states they (might) live in. And do I remember correctly that now you must email a request to NarNet to get one at all?

This year I requested one but I think they have to do a background check on me first.

Nite nite,
(author's name will be revealed only after written request)

#22 narcats

narcats

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Had a great time learn a lot.. The support group Anger for cataplexy made a big difference for my son..Love Emos day by day views ..I'll cut and paste to son he'll really enjoy them..Any one have a head count on how many attended so when the Dr says it rare I can tell him or her how many rare people I met .. kelly - son aaron

#23 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

These conventions sound really cool. When and where is the next one for 2012?

#24 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Narcats...attendance was around 265-270 (but not all registered attendees were PWN's)

Corey...at the conference it was announced that the next one would be in Cleveland Ohio...but no date was announced...traditionally they are held in October. When I hear something definite, I'll be sure to post it.

Lorrie

#25 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Lotta stuff. And not a lotta other stuff

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

Today I had a few li'l thoughts to think. Like, sometimes I get a little kick out of having attended nine or so of these conferences. For example, when I see a TV shot of beautiful downtown Las Vegas (well beautiful at night when seen on the tube) I can pick out that hotel we were at and I can say, "Hey, we've been there!." This is a neat trick for a guy with narkleupsy that finds it a challenge to get off the couch. I have a feeling of having become a real world traveler. Of course my couch, the Merlin Six Thousand, takes me on many an adventure and it is riddled with bullet holes and dragon-breath scorches just like Snoopy's doghouse. But that's a different horse, so to speak.

Another thought is that I seem to claim, even to myself, that the reason I don't attend many of the sessions during the conference is that I've been there, done that. But I was just recently thinking about the time Kate Pearson created about a dozen C attacks, all at the same time, and I remembered why I was sitting way up front during the session and could only hear everybody hitting the floor. I was up front because, in addition to our beloved Narkleupsy, there is something gone astray in my neurology. There is always somebody that wants to have a whispered conversation with their neighbor during these sessions and somehow these whispers try to burrow into my head and become understood, no matter what the cost in brain power, such that I find it immensely difficult to focus on the speaker. Quite a strain. I just can't filter them out. I had moved away several times from these people, finally ending up in the front. There is something about the human voice, even in the background, that requires all of my little pea brain's attention.

So, I suppose the avoidance of this irritation is a major reason that I avoid so many of the serious sessions, and it is not because of their content or the fact that I have heard it all. ...... Howsomeever, those fluffy sessions are still too silly, no matter what!

What did Kate Pearson do? I tell the story again for the umpteenth time: 'twas a Seattle session where a psychologist was discussing the relation between narcolepsy and stress. She was observing that the death of a spouse is especially difficult for narkleuptics. Katy stood up, reaching her full four foot of height, at eighty some years old, peering over her glasses at the end of her nose and pointed out that the death of her dearly beloved husband eased her life considerably because he was always after her to "hurry up with this and go get that done" and such things.

Well, of course the people thought this was somewhat amusing and then the speaker said she did not recommend this sort of thing as treatment for narcolepsy. This amused the crowd even more, but then Kate got all puffed up and she said, " Well! I didn't bump him off!"

Behind me, I heard a series of aborted horselaughs and a series of crashes and I knew what was happening back there. Didn't hafta look. Katy was always doing that to people.

nite nite,
ol' Emo

#26 Joyce

Joyce

• Root Admin
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Well I have enjoyed reading about the conference now I feel like I was there at those sessions! And as always I enjoy Emo's take on me always behind the desk! It does seem that way to me but I do have Amy and Kathleen as my back ups! Someday i will get it right and attned a session with Emo! Oh and about getting compliments - I'll take any I can get even the "sideway" ones.

Well we are busy with this year's conference in Ohio - and will get the dates ASAP! We know that there are many who need to know the dates so they can plan - if you dont see it on the messge bords you will see info on our website!!

Emo keep up the good work and if you need me you know where to find me! LOL