Photo

What Is An Eeg?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adzb

Adzb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Something stimulating enough to keep me awake.
    Art, Screen printing, Airbrush.
    Moto Gp,
    Battlefield 3

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Just had a Letter from the hospital asking me to come in for an EEG? I gather it's some measuring device plugged to my head? Can anyone tell me the process. Cheers.

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

Electroencephalography.
Wikipedia it for a much more detailed description.

Below is my understanding of them.
They help show doctors what is happening within your brain (perhaps, the neurons locations or paths, and the synapses firing) in realtime.
EEG's show everything in graphs, similar to a polygraph; so the person or technician interpreting the EEG needs to have specific expertise to recognize and properly read such data.

I think of an MRI as a virtual image, that can be used (like an EEG reading such requires specific expertise, MRI's require a radialogist rather than a technician) to see any malformations, injuries or damage, and other occurrences, such that have left or developed a viewable mark within the body.

I believe that an EEG can be used to say decipher, to whatever extent is actually known, between an epileptic seizure and/or a cataplexy episode; that is, if either occurs while attached to an EEG.
It is what is used to monitor a persons sleep stages during a sleep study or MLST test for Narcolepsy.

Hope that helps you.

#3 keean

keean

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

Just had a Letter from the hospital asking me to come in for an EEG? I gather it's some measuring device plugged to my head? Can anyone tell me the process. Cheers.

I've had EEGs done. They hook a bunch of things up to your head, similar to the sleep study. Then they have you lie down and they put some flashing lights in front of your eyes, then ask you to breath real fast and maybe something else I don't remember. The point is to try and make you have a seizure so they can see it on their machines and determine what sort of seizures you're having.

#4 tdmom

tdmom

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

An EEG reads the electrical activity of the brain, similar to how an ECG reads the electrical activity of the heart. They will glue all kinds of electrodes to your head and then you will have to lie down as they do the reading which takes about an hour.

An MRI will show structure, changes in these structures and vessel blood flow.

#5 Corundum_Catapult

Corundum_Catapult

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:math, science, medicine, music, reading

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

I've had about four EEGs. The first one was in a nice, big room and there were heated blankets and stuff, and it was very relaxing. The last one was in a regular doctors office where techs applied the electrodes while I sat in a chair (some of them kept coming off, and she placed one of them in the wrong place, but the other one corrected her before I got to), then actually had it done when I lay donw on the examination bed and it took forever for them to get a blanket even though I was so cold I was shivering through the whole thing. I didn't fall asleep until it was over.

They flash a bunch of lights at you, and have you follow instructions breathing. At the end it's best to sleep, to get the best results. My first one lasted an hour or more, while the last one was probably about 20-30 minutes. If you have an episode, they can use the EEG readings to figure out if it's an epileptic seizure or not.

#6 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I my second EEG recently....I think I was out the moment they put the heated blanket on me. I don't remember any lights this time, or any of the other things they said they would tell me to do (like hyperventilate.)

They were both an hour according to the clock....but it didn't feel that long.

Though I know in the second one, I experienced hypnic jerks a few times....something that seems to have gotten worse in the last year or two.

I got this second EEG, to rule out anything neurological (and the week before I wore a Holter to rule out anything cardiac)....after being told that it was probably a cataplexy attack that had landed me in the hospital.

The Dreamer.