Meaningful Awareness?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jujufish

jujufish

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

hi, after meeting with my doctor today i was told that in order for me to get my drivers permit in the spring, i would have to take a 'meaningful awareness test' that would test my ability to stay awake. several attempts to find information on this test later and i sill have no idea what it is. my doctor briefly described what the test was, but i dont really remember what he said. has anyone taken/going to take it? any useful information or expirence?

#2 mdTO

mdTO

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

He may mean the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), which is used to evaluate a person’s ability to remain awake and alert during the day. Some info on the test:

During the MWT trial a patient is asked to sit comfortably and quietly in a chair in a quiet, dimly lit, room. The patient is then instructed to stay awake as long as possible while remaining quiet and still. These trials are conducted at two-hour intervals, usually beginning approximately two hours after awakening from a typical night of sleep. During the trials, the patient’s brain waves are recorded to determine how long the individual is able to stay awake, and if they fall asleep, how long it took them to fall asleep. The results of the MWT can be used to support the adequacy of treatment for daytime sleepiness disorder, or to document the absence of sleepiness.

I drive for my job so I have this test every two years to show that I'm alert enough to drive.