• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ildrungo23

ildrungo23

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

I'm in a serious jam, Im a 22 year old US Navy veteran involuntarily separated back in December 2010, after just a year and a half of service. I developed narcolepsy w/ cataplexy (so severe that two neurologist have recommended the use of xyreme after running through 4 different medications) after the winter of 2009. My wife "ran out of patience" with me and we decided to break it off, which left me alone and my attempt to live on my own without her much needed assistance put me in a mountain of debt. I was awarded a disability rating of 20% by Veteran Affairs (which i have appealed but nothing has budged on that frontier), for awhile I was doing fine living in NC off of unemployment insurance benefits while struggling to find a job, then i got a job as a furniture delivery driver (bad decision to most people but i was able to drive with few problems up until i separated from my wife in June) which is when i started having problems getting up on time and staying up at work, then i was fired in August. Since then I have already filed for every veteran affairs benefit known to mankind. I recently decided to move back home to Virginia with family for support.

I don't have a strong enough case to file charges against my most recent employer for discrimination of a disability, and getting fired also prevented me from receiving and more unemployment insurance from the state, I am trying to appeal that but they are giving me a run around. I am having such a hard time finding a job i both qualify for and can actually do, i have been turned down by two employers in the past 3 weeks. I am just now applying for Social Security too....idk what else to do....my credit union is on my behind...my bills are piling up....and my credit is spiraling down at a fast rate.

i feel like im being screwed around every corner and every door i try to open is locked. I'm stuck and i find myself depressed and hopeless, i have even contemplated suicide. The only thing promising is starting online classes this October at Florida Tech University Online. other than that i keep asking myself why me? why at age 22 am i having to file for disability? this shouldn't be happening.

So is there a door i haven't tried opening? or is file for disability my last option? I hate just sitting here and waiting for someone else to decide my fate.

P.S. i am on just Methylphenidate, Gabapentin, and Melatonin. what other medications are there?

#2 keean

keean

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

So sorry this is happening to you, I definitely empathize :( Have you tried the Xyrem? Maybe it will help if you can get it, it's so hard to get. I also heard that pain pills (codeine maybe?) helps some people. Other meds are different stimulants and anti depressants. I hope you find something soon, getting SSDI can be a long and difficult process, sadly, and then once on it it sucks because it's not enough to live on without other help.

#3 Lis

Lis

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hi,

I'm in a serious jam, Im a 22 year old US Navy veteran involuntarily separated back in December 2010, after just a year and a half of service. I developed narcolepsy w/ cataplexy (so severe that two neurologist have recommended the use of xyreme after running through 4 different medications) after the winter of 2009. My wife "ran out of patience" with me and we decided to break it off, which left me alone and my attempt to live on my own without her much needed assistance put me in a mountain of debt. I was awarded a disability rating of 20% by Veteran Affairs (which i have appealed but nothing has budged on that frontier), for awhile I was doing fine living in NC off of unemployment insurance benefits while struggling to find a job, then i got a job as a furniture delivery driver (bad decision to most people but i was able to drive with few problems up until i separated from my wife in June) which is when i started having problems getting up on time and staying up at work, then i was fired in August. Since then I have already filed for every veteran affairs benefit known to mankind. I recently decided to move back home to Virginia with family for support.

I don't have a strong enough case to file charges against my most recent employer for discrimination of a disability, and getting fired also prevented me from receiving and more unemployment insurance from the state, I am trying to appeal that but they are giving me a run around. I am having such a hard time finding a job i both qualify for and can actually do, i have been turned down by two employers in the past 3 weeks. I am just now applying for Social Security too....idk what else to do....my credit union is on my behind...my bills are piling up....and my credit is spiraling down at a fast rate.

i feel like im being screwed around every corner and every door i try to open is locked. I'm stuck and i find myself depressed and hopeless, i have even contemplated suicide. The only thing promising is starting online classes this October at Florida Tech University Online. other than that i keep asking myself why me? why at age 22 am i having to file for disability? this shouldn't be happening.

So is there a door i haven't tried opening? or is file for disability my last option? I hate just sitting here and waiting for someone else to decide my fate.

P.S. i am on just Methylphenidate, Gabapentin, and Melatonin. what other medications are there?

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I went through a very similar situation. If you're still having problems despite the medication treatment your on, push your doctor to try the xyrem. Tell him your depression is directly related to failed treatment for your symptoms that is affecting everything in your life. Beg him, do what you got to do. Tell doc you just want symptom relief...even if he's hesitant, ask him to please just try it and see how it goes. It takes time for xyrem, because it has to be titrated up in dose increments by your doctor until symptom control is achieved. Also, be careful with methylphenidate. That drug alone can make you depressed. Doc might say "well xyrem can cause suicidal depression, so you really don't want to risk that if you're already feeling depressed.". Here's what I would answer" doc, please, just let me try it. If I start to feel like that, I will contact you right away and stop taking it." Let him know that you believe it's worth a shot and you don't want to give up now, so please don't give up on you. (doc). Sometimes, you have to be pushy, lol. I know docs are very nervous about prescribing xryem because of the type of drug it is and it's reputation on the streets. That's really sad, because some don't really understand what a lifesaver that med can be. After being prescribed every type of stimulant in existance and too many SSRI drugs for cataplexy, treatment was still an overall failure. The side effects were not worth it. For me, the stimulants ruined my life more than anything. Horrible! Xyrem has been a godsend....not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than everything else. Tell him that if you do see some improvent on xyrem, you want him to monitor and increase it as needed. I know it sounds crazy, but some docs just need that serious push. I'd love to know how this all works out for you. :)

#4 Kelly62u

Kelly62u

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ha, I am in the same boat almost. I got mine to be service connected 20% too, my wife is still with me, and I use Xyrem and provigil. I'll tell you the VA sucks at making sure I get my refills. Different story. Here is what you need to do. Get your medical record and service record, and try to get this disability service related. I know, easier said than done.Then get into VA's Voc Rehab. I got all my IT skills paid for that way. Also, there is something about computer monitors that keep me going. ;) They'll find you the right job. Don't get depressed about this shtuff. Hey, you're medicated, and you know about your condition. You still have a bright future, and so now manage it!