My First Full Body Attack (I Think)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

Ok I was diagnosed with narcolepsy w/ cataplexy in the spring. My biggest problem is EDS the cataplexy started off extremely mild where my head would become really heavy and I had a hard time holding it up and keeping my eyes open, my arms would also feel weak. However I always kind of thought maybe it wasn't cataplexy, maybe I was just falling asleep? It's hard to tell because my eyelids feel so HEAVY but thats how you feel when you are sleepy right? Anyway today it happened in class and everything felt really heavy, but I just figured I was tired and falling asleep and I would be ok once I got up and started walking. ALTHOUGH I was also nervous because it kind of felt different too and my heart was beating really fast. Anyways so I get up, make it out of the class room and see my friend. I'm still feeling really strange so I walk up to her and slur "I'm having a problem." I don't know if I started to fall, I think my eyes rolled back and my knees buckled but next thing I know she is grabbing me by the arms yelling "ARE YOU OKAY?! SIT DOWN!" I kind of slide to the floor and am just splayed out against the wall and my head keeps dropping but I'm trying to keep it up and my eyes are closing too no matter how hard I try keep them open then my head falls forward and my eyes close and my friend starts clapping her hand in front of my face really loud yelling WAKE UP! WAKE UP! I was able to kind of slur that I was okay then about 30 seconds to a minute later I was able to get up.

This has never happened to me! My mom says she thought cataplexy was sudden and happens all at once you know, like she thinks if it was cataplexy I would just drop and not have any warning. So now she is all worried and thinks it's a seizure. Does it happen to anyone else like this or is it all at once? It wasn't like I couldn't move the whole time just like in bits and pieces and the rest of the time just felt really heavy like I was swimming in molasses or something. I just really don't know! Please reply with your thoughts

#2 keean

keean

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:28 AM

Hi, for me cataplexy is definitely not a sudden drop with no warning. Usually my knees buckle first and/or my arm muscles will go weak. I can still walk after it happens, but my legs will feel heavy and wobbly. Then I'll collapse, usually in stages. I too can move in bits and pieces after a collapse. Bottom line is there is always some warning first for me, I don't just drop suddenly. It can't hurt to get checked out for seizures, though. It's certainly possible to have both narcolepsy and a seizure disorder.

This has never happened to me! My mom says she thought cataplexy was sudden and happens all at once you know, like she thinks if it was cataplexy I would just drop and not have any warning. So now she is all worried and thinks it's a seizure. Does it happen to anyone else like this or is it all at once? It wasn't like I couldn't move the whole time just like in bits and pieces and the rest of the time just felt really heavy like I was swimming in molasses or something. I just really don't know! Please reply with your thoughts

#3 Adzb

Adzb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Something stimulating enough to keep me awake.
    Art, Screen printing, Airbrush.
    Moto Gp,
    Battlefield 3

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Ok I was diagnosed with narcolepsy w/ cataplexy in the spring. My biggest problem is EDS the cataplexy started off extremely mild where my head would become really heavy and I had a hard time holding it up and keeping my eyes open, my arms would also feel weak. However I always kind of thought maybe it wasn't cataplexy, maybe I was just falling asleep? It's hard to tell because my eyelids feel so HEAVY but thats how you feel when you are sleepy right? Anyway today it happened in class and everything felt really heavy, but I just figured I was tired and falling asleep and I would be ok once I got up and started walking. ALTHOUGH I was also nervous because it kind of felt different too and my heart was beating really fast. Anyways so I get up, make it out of the class room and see my friend. I'm still feeling really strange so I walk up to her and slur "I'm having a problem." I don't know if I started to fall, I think my eyes rolled back and my knees buckled but next thing I know she is grabbing me by the arms yelling "ARE YOU OKAY?! SIT DOWN!" I kind of slide to the floor and am just splayed out against the wall and my head keeps dropping but I'm trying to keep it up and my eyes are closing too no matter how hard I try keep them open then my head falls forward and my eyes close and my friend starts clapping her hand in front of my face really loud yelling WAKE UP! WAKE UP! I was able to kind of slur that I was okay then about 30 seconds to a minute later I was able to get up.

I do not suddenly drop either, the first time i noticed it i just had a slight jolt in my knees. Like when someone kicks the back of your knees and they suddenly shoot forward. then your legs become weak. Your not sure if you can control them or not.

Now i do fall over, but it never just happens. I have to feel an emotion, anything really. Laughing is the worst, prob bcus i'm always laughing. Just feeling happy will do it.

It's not really a fall either, it's a slow droop i suppose. So bloody slow it's crazy. Thats how it feels for me anyway.
After a cat attack, i feel worn out and i can feel weak for hours and up to a day later.

It sounds more like a sleep attack. Heavy eye lids that you are fighting and fighting. I slur during a sleep attack. and i will fall asleep standing up.
A shock will bring me out of it, but i have to fall asleep first if only for a spilt second.

Hope this helps.