Catelpexy Attacks And Hullucinations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Katshart

Katshart

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

My son is 16 and a sophmore in high school. His symptoms started a year ago when he complained about seeing dead people walking around everywhere he went. He started cutting his wrists to keep them away and make himself feel better. He considered suicide last October because he thought his was crazy. After being hospitalized and therapy for a year we have finally figured out he has Narcolepsy. He is under the care of a neurologist. We are currently taking Imipramine 75mg, Adderall XR 20mg and Celexa 40mg.

He has severe cataplexy attacks where an emotion such as "anger" or "fear" will trigger him to pass out and fall and be unaware of what's going on. His eyes are open and rolled back in his head, his hands will be fisted and his legs will be stiff. His heart rate is in the 100's and his blood pressure will be around 150/95. After 15 mins, he will come out of it and be unaware of what happened. He is able to hear what is going on around him though. He also says he will have a hullucination during where he will see something or someone scarry. This is happening at school and last week the school called 911 and the paramedics were called to assist. The trigger was a couple of boys in class were calling him names. He was completely embarrased and his friends were all laughing at him. He will also be in the lunch room and turn around and see dead people all over and he has another attack. We have filed all the paperwork for a 504 at school.

Another problem we have is at night he will go to bed about 10pm and I will hear a lot of banging in his room. I will go in to check on him and he will have the same attack in bed. Almost looks like a seizure. He will be jerking really bad in his bed and his body will be stiff, head will be stretched up looking at his headboard and his eyes will be open and rolled back in his head. He can not be moved or awaken. He is super stiff and un-responsive. After 15 mins, he will come out (somewhat wake up) of it but he will be consumed with complete terror. He is scared to death of someone in his room. He will sleep with the sheets over his head and scared to death. In the morning, he is unaware of the event.

1. How do we cope with these cataplexy attacks at school?

2. Does anyone else have the same symptoms as we do? I have read alot of the stories on the forum but nothing about the severity of hullucinations and the cataplexy attacks.

#2 Praefulgidus

Praefulgidus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:cats :)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

My son is 16 and a sophmore in high school. His symptoms started a year ago when he complained about seeing dead people walking around everywhere he went. He started cutting his wrists to keep them away and make himself feel better. He considered suicide last October because he thought his was crazy. After being hospitalized and therapy for a year we have finally figured out he has Narcolepsy. He is under the care of a neurologist. We are currently taking Imipramine 75mg, Adderall XR 20mg and Celexa 40mg.

He has severe cataplexy attacks where an emotion such as "anger" or "fear" will trigger him to pass out and fall and be unaware of what's going on. His eyes are open and rolled back in his head, his hands will be fisted and his legs will be stiff. His heart rate is in the 100's and his blood pressure will be around 150/95. After 15 mins, he will come out of it and be unaware of what happened. He is able to hear what is going on around him though. He also says he will have a hullucination during where he will see something or someone scarry. This is happening at school and last week the school called 911 and the paramedics were called to assist. The trigger was a couple of boys in class were calling him names. He was completely embarrased and his friends were all laughing at him. He will also be in the lunch room and turn around and see dead people all over and he has another attack. We have filed all the paperwork for a 504 at school.

Another problem we have is at night he will go to bed about 10pm and I will hear a lot of banging in his room. I will go in to check on him and he will have the same attack in bed. Almost looks like a seizure. He will be jerking really bad in his bed and his body will be stiff, head will be stretched up looking at his headboard and his eyes will be open and rolled back in his head. He can not be moved or awaken. He is super stiff and un-responsive. After 15 mins, he will come out (somewhat wake up) of it but he will be consumed with complete terror. He is scared to death of someone in his room. He will sleep with the sheets over his head and scared to death. In the morning, he is unaware of the event.

1. How do we cope with these cataplexy attacks at school?

2. Does anyone else have the same symptoms as we do? I have read alot of the stories on the forum but nothing about the severity of hullucinations and the cataplexy attacks.

I'm 15 years old. I see hallucinations since my chilhood. It affected my personality in my childhood. I saw monsters and snakes eveywhere. I always screamed when i see this hallucinations. Then i had enuresis and stuttering. I always afraid of sleeping in my childhood and my mother thought i have insomnia.But, no, i just afraid of sleeping because of hallucinations. Also sometimes i hear voices. When i sleep, i completely cover my body with quilt, and i always controlled that my quilt's covering my body completely. I also cover my face with 2 pillows. I can't understand now, how i breathed while i was sleeping.

I'm living with this about 10 years. I know, monsters doesn't real and voices that i hear, unreal. Snakes doesn't exist in our home.

But your son has problems. It's normal because when i first met with hallucinations my mother thought i have schzophrenia. It's very hard. Please be helpful to your son.

Maybe, this article will help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystonia