Photo

Lawyer Right Away Vs. After You Have Tried Yourself

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dreamagain007

dreamagain007

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Singing, arts, handwriting analysis, helping others, and "trying" my damnedest to make others happy;-/.....

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Posted ImageHello All!

I was just wondering the opinions of if I should contact a lawyer right away or try myself first? There is a lawyer in my area thats free up front, and if u win he draws out of that. I should have done this a long time ago, but my husband is in denial...."with me slepping half the day and night and taking 6 medications, acting out my dreams, confusing reality with a dream I had, etc." He just doesn't want a "sick" wife. Which I cant blame him. But at this point he has lost his job, and we are selling our belongings and his truck to make it till our house sells. At that point, if still no job, we move into my moms unfinished basement. Sorry for all the info....just had to vent somehow.;)

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

Dreamagain007
Posted Image

#2 steviewonderzzz

steviewonderzzz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Retired steamship chief engineer. Used 4 naps/day to troubleshoot the machinery. Have 1930s cars and trucks, lathes and bridgeport mill, welders, like to fix things and create mechanical devices. I have been studying "wu wu" stuff, I can read tarot cards, analyze dreams, use devining rods, past life regressions, etc. Studying various religions (dead and current), philosophies, psychology, physics, metaphysics, and of course consciousness. I ask the "why" questions that everyone wants to ignore. My life has been colored with energy conservation, from how much fuel does a steam plant consume to how many minutes I can stay conscious at a social function. Energy is precious! If everyone had narcolepsy then there would be no energy left for wars.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hi, A lawyer that is focused only on disability claims will know the exact steps, all of the paperwork and doctor reports that are required, and you don't have to guess and trip around government forms and government agencies. Ask your prospective lawyer if he/she has done narcolepsy cases and the percentage that he/she has won. I used a lawyer right away, was denied on the first application, but was accepted on the second time around. I had a sleep doctor as well as an ADD doctor fill out the forms, and I had to educate both of them about the other disorder. Also I had to educate both doctors about the career that I was giving up and why it was not wise for me to take naps all of the time while being a chief engineer of a steam plant, the companies ten page job description of a chief engineer and the US Coast Guard book on medical disqualifications helped, as well as copies of pages from the CFRs (code of federal regulations) covering my industry, especially pertaining to drug testing and medication use. Also I read everything I could about this disorder so I could effectively write about my symptoms using the proper terminology and of coping stratigies (napping even in the bathroom, "remembering" incorrect facts while sleepworking and halucinating, being dizzy about 2/3 of the time that I am awake, sleeping through three alarm clocks and a telephone wakeup call, mowing the front yard one day and mowing the back yard the next day, having friends come over to help me clean up my house and pay bills, driving techniques such as drive 30 min then sleep 30 min, etc). Also, you are suppose to have a couple of friends fill out a form describing your typical day and the symptoms observed. I put myself in their heads and wrote the descriptions about me for them using their typical vocabulary and had them read it, edit it and sign it. You must be proactive when applying, using the lawyer as an expediter and guide. Thats how I did it and it was worth the money the lawyer received. I saw a lawyer about a month after I decided not to return to work and it took 13 months to become accepted. That was in 2001/2002. Social Security has not been replacing retiring claims people for about 5 years now, so with less processors it may take longer. As a note, I was in denial after a psychologist suggested narcolopsy, (I just took lots of naps) so I started a log book covering every activity, nap, mistake, dream, misperception, frustration, social events I did every day for a month. THAT was an awakening; no normal person lives like I do! The log book convinced me to take a sleep study, and even now if I start to question myself if I am really that bad, I just review that book. Good Luck.

#3 chipfan924

chipfan924

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:33 AM

So I am in the same boat with this *BEEP*. Pardon my french I am so annoyed! I applied on my own and was denied and am now going through appeals. I finally found an attorney, however I haven't heard from this attorney in about a month. I barely had 60 days after my denial to file an appeal so I am kind of worried we just made the deadline. Now I am hearing that it could be up to a year for the court case to happen. Which is good and bad all at once.

#4 narcats

narcats

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

ssi..we filed for the 3 time ..once in 2004 and 2006 denied twice let it go..filed in 2009 with a advocate denied twice..son went before the judge today 2011..his records are incomplete with many Dr and shrinks no one gave him a Dx..the DR in LA says cats but will not put it on paper..now the wait...who ever you get you pay nothing up front .no more than 25% of the first check....they will make sure the paper work is filled our right .. they will get your medical records, put your case together,keep you informed,when the day comes and you win great but if you have to go before the judge they will be there for you..during the meeting will speak for you defend you ..we made it.. our advocate was wonderful...Go for it......

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

just about everyone that goes through the process recommends a lawyer from the start.

#6 dreamagain007

dreamagain007

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Singing, arts, handwriting analysis, helping others, and "trying" my damnedest to make others happy;-/.....

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Its me again who posted this;:wacko: I went to the lawyer with all my medical junk, etc, and my husband. This man specializes in DD claims, mind you. He was about as helpful as a dancing pig in a tutu!!!:rolleyes: He said to just file it, and if its denied (80%) he says come back then, like I was wasting his time!!!! Anyways I dont have an actual diagnosis, but seems i just keep getting worse. My hands are so shakey i can hardly write this, and my handwriting has changed drastically!! I asked my neurologist if it looked like Park....but he said no? Any suggestions?

Thanks a Million,

Dreamagain007

#7 narcats

narcats

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Its me again who posted this;:wacko: I went to the lawyer with all my medical junk, etc, and my husband. This man specializes in DD claims, mind you. He was about as helpful as a dancing pig in a tutu!!!:rolleyes: He said to just file it, and if its denied (80%) he says come back then, like I was wasting his time!!!! Anyways I dont have an actual diagnosis, but seems i just keep getting worse. My hands are so shakey i can hardly write this, and my handwriting has changed drastically!! I asked my neurologist if it looked like Park....but he said no? Any suggestions?

Thanks a Million,

Dreamagain007

#8 narcats

narcats

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Like anything or anyone when dealing with someone for help and all you get is the run ( when you get that feeling)(the way they look at you )around its time to look else where..There are a few quacks and its a pain looking for someone too really help..example when the dad and I took son to see a new shrink.we had to hear almost 2 hours of her bs talk the only thing we got useful out of her that was helpful was his adovate..The bender and bender ad on tv I'v only heard complains about them..Do Not give any money up front or at the End.. They only get 25% and a few expenses( Not much( sons was 10.00 for some expenses).. If you win your case.. SS takes it out before you get your money and pays them .. If they lose They Get Nothing Big 0..If you read your medical records you may find they read like once apound a time they lived happily ever after..BUT wheres the middle of the story..Son got his ssi with a lack of paper work..Take a moment and vent, sy(MS) you hit another brick well ..Now get the phone book out ,ask people who might lead you..I live in kern county California probably doesn't help you ... believe it or not I do understand..Do I have your permission to pm you with more information that may or may not help...WE never met his advocate until the day of the hearing..Met an hour early to discuses what ever...We phoned each other by phone with questions ..When SS sent us papers we called her (she gets copies too but we always got them first)when ss called for son we say he cant(true he cat with worries) come to the phone right now he'll call back and I call his advocate she call them back and see why they called then call us with inform what they wanted then me/son using 2 phones(he Cataplexys during stress)and answer their questions ..We were worried about this but to worked out well...

#9 Rrrapture

Rrrapture

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

Narcats, thank you for posting your/your son's story. Also congratulations on winning SSI!

Can you please, please PM me or email me with the advocate information, etc? (I'll send my email to you in a PM)

I live in LA. Narcolepsy w/ mild cataplexy since I was 13, diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I'm almost 37. No support from anyone really, including family. I worked full time the last 4 months but my health, home, energy reserves are almost depleted. I wanted to try and hoped w/ steady income I'd somehow find a way to take better care of myself, but it hasn't gone that way. I'm deteriorating rapidly. Trying to get In Home Social Services...I don't want to go on disability but my health insurance (cal-cobra) doesn't cover non medical assistance with Daily Life Activities. My income the last 4 months is too high for Medi-Cal but they said I might get coverage I can pay for...special circumstances?

Anyway I'm rambling now. I just don't know how to survive without some help, and I don't have savings and my finances are a mess, so I don't know how I'll eat and pay rent if I can't continue on this freelance job, and apply for SSD. (I was on unemployment before this).

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and advice and venting...all of it makes me feel less alone.

R

Like anything or anyone when dealing with someone for help and all you get is the run ( when you get that feeling)(the way they look at you )around its time to look else where ... We were worried about this but to worked out well...