What Works For You When Studying

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tdmom

tdmom

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

What works for you when studying? How do you get your reading done without falling asleep? My son age 16 years needs some ideas...

#2 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

What works for you when studying? How do you get your reading done without falling asleep? My son age 16 years needs some ideas...

I did four years of college and two for my Masters. Constant napping worked for me...

#3 SuperJames

SuperJames

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

I haven't found the answer, either, but am very interested in the replies you get!

Being in the IT industry, if I don't study constantly, I'll fall behind. All it would take would be maybe two years of not studying to stall my career, and probably four or five years to totally kill it. Not being able to read a book is a major, major, major hindrance to learning (duh!), and I'm doing good if I can read one entire page without nodding out. My career is slowing down, and I can't get the high-paying work like I used to. This "reading" problem is really starting to effect my whole family (we're a single-income household, you see...).

So, yeah - to all you veteran "functioning" narcoleptics:
How do you manage to read even part of a book? (Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:)

Thanks, and best of luck in finding an answer!

#4 drago

drago

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Peppermint. The scent, the breath mints - the tea. Something about it make my alertness go up.

Also, forcing myself to take breaks and walk for 5-10 minutes. This prevents me from getting into the 'zombie zone' where nothing ever seems to get done.

drago

#5 b0rd3rline

b0rd3rline

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

There are various studying techniques, which both help a pwn stay awake and focused, and help you retain the info you're studying. Instead of just trying to read the entire chapter, the trick is to break it down into sections, and take notes in outline form with the key points/words from each section. After each section is finished, get up and walk around while studying the outline you have just created. The movement involved with walking around (make sure and watch where you're going some) helps stimulate alertness, as well as stimulate the rods (movement receptors in the eyes) to relay info to the long-term memory centers of the brain, making studying more effective. Try it out, you may surprise yourself!