• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 AYCV

AYCV

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, hiking, yoga, healthy eating

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Just wondering how your story or book is going? Anything published?

#22 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:When not at work I enjoy hanging out with friends, going to the flea market,or staying home creating art and being crafty.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi Alice,
I'm sorry you haven't received much positive feed back on your questions which seem genuine in regards to "PWN". I for one appreciate the idea, as well as the fact you'd come straight to the source (us) to find answers for your questions. How ever if I could make a few suggestions they'd be;
1. I would make her main power the ability to see future tragic events in her dreams,(making her strongest weakness her greatest asset).I've had N for 9 years and with help to my sleep journal I've realized many scenarios I've dreamt about have actually played out within a short period of time.
2. Sleep paralysis should be described as something she is faced with upon falling asleep or upon waking up, a condition in which she is conscious and feels awake but can't move her body.(In my case this is when I would hallucinate and truly believe someone or thing was holding me down.
3. Automatic behavior in no way could really be described as a super power, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it.I describe this condition to my friends as being in a delusional state, kinda like if you were to stay up 4 nights in row w no sleep and then try to hold an accurate conversation.
That's all I can think of now but will let you know of any new ideas that come to mind.Good Luck!!

#23 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

Just saw this topic, so if you still need input--let me know, Alice!

As for the PWN vs. narcoleptic debate...what's the big deal? I don't have a problem with being called narcoleptic; it's the truth. I don't find it offensive at all! Just like if someone were to say I'm "enthusiastic". I wouldn't expect them to say "you're a person with enthusiasm". Using the word "narcoleptic" actually sounds more descriptive and technical to me, whereas PWN somehow comes across as more cushioned and protective. This is just my personal opinion, and I don't mind being referred to as either, but the scientist in me feels more comfortable with "narcoleptic", that's all.

#24 Jennapoo

Jennapoo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I went to school for writing and Alice has gone about it in the right way. People should appreciate that she wants to create a character based on what real people living with narcolepsy describe the disorder to be and not what television tells us. Also, a good writer is writing for her audience. So if most people in America don't know what PWN is, Alice would be an arrogant jerk to not say that the character is narcoleptic. If you want to advocate for narcolepsy by creating a comic book, than do it. Alice is an artist is an artist and its awesome that she is using a narcoleptic character for a piece of fiction when it would be easier to use a sleepy teenager instead. By way, I've never heard or seen PWN used reference to a narcoleptic person. I don't know what it stands for or the appropriate context to use it in a sentence. I do know that if the narcoleptic community doesn't want to be called narcoleptic, maybe they should try harder to share the PWN experience and explain why narcoleptic is an offensive word.