Free Support Group Meeting Sat July 23Rd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Come attend the Washington DC Area Narcolepsy & Hypersomnia Support Group Meeting on Saturday July 23, 2011. Details below:

When: Saturday July 23, 2011 12:30-3pm

Where: Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library Rm 221
901 G St. N.W.
Washington, DC 20001

Who should come: People with Narcolepsy, Hypersomnia, and related disorders; and their friends and family members

Topic: In general, we have a fairly free-form meeting style, and talk about whatever issues participants want input about when they come to the meeting.

Saraiah Naps
240-305-3616
saraiahnaps@gmail.com

Cost: Absolutely free

Please see the attached flier for further details, directions to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library using the Metro trains, and information on parking should you wish to come by car.

Attached Files

#2 catnapper

catnapper

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

I wish I had not missed this....How often do you plan these meetings? Are they fairly well-attended? I'm in Richmond, but my husband could drive me to DC for the next meeting. I really need a support group. There isn't one here, but another woman & I are going to try to get one started soon. As we try to get one off the ground, it would be nice to attend a few meetings (at least) that have already been established. Thanks so much!

#3 Saraiah

Saraiah

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

I wish I had not missed this....How often do you plan these meetings? Are they fairly well-attended? I'm in Richmond, but my husband could drive me to DC for the next meeting. I really need a support group. There isn't one here, but another woman & I are going to try to get one started soon. As we try to get one off the ground, it would be nice to attend a few meetings (at least) that have already been established. Thanks so much!

We'd love to meet you! We meet once a month, so you've got lots more opportunities. The next meeting will be Sunday August 21st from 3-5pm, followed by a casual dinner out for folks with the time and energy. We tend to have 8-15 people attend any one meeting - unless it's the week before Christmas, or 102 degrees F out. But even last Saturday with all that miserable heat, we still had 6 people come.

I'm always wishing that I could help support groups get started in other cities. We've got a simple formula for running our meetings that would be very easy to emulate if you find that it suits - and there are other support group leaders out there to chat with for other ideas. My experience was that it was not hard to get a group started. Set up regular meetings, post invitations on several narcolepsy/hypersomnia internet forums, and then show up with a compassionate and welcoming attitude - people will come find you, and then come back again. There is hardly a month that goes by in which we don't have at least one new person come.

I'm attaching our 2011 meeting schedule - hope that one or more of the dates work for you.

Attached Files