Provigil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

I was dx with N 7 years ago. Before I was DX I could never hold down a job bc I could never get up with the alarm clock consistently. I have been on Provigl since my DX. I am supposed to take 200mg 2 times a day.
However, I have to take both pills in the morning just to get up. I take them at 6:00 am and get up around 6:30 when they kick in.
I make it through the day okay. I also take armor thyroid for Hypothyroidism. I take one in the morn and 1 at noon when I start feeling tired.
I make it through the work day but lately when I get home from work I get straight into bed sleep until 9:00 at nite and only awaken to get into my PJ's , brush my teeth and tell my two understanding teens goodnight.
I sleep through the night and around it goes again.....This is a poor quality of life
I am divorced from their dad. I feel terribly guilty....I want to spend time with them...even if Its just watching a movie together.
What can I do
I f I only take 1 pill in the morn I will not wake up and I will lose my job. The Provigil is working for the am. It is the only wake up that has ever worked for me.
I also take codeine to help me stay awake and recently my Rhumatologist put me on cymbalta due to sever arthritis of the neck, spine, and knees.
What else can I do to stay awake for just 4 or 5 more hours so I can spend time with my boys????????
\
I am desperate and sad......need help.....
What else is there to take?

Linda

#2 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

I was dx with N 7 years ago. Before I was DX I could never hold down a job bc I could never get up with the alarm clock consistently. I have been on Provigl since my DX. I am supposed to take 200mg 2 times a day.
However, I have to take both pills in the morning just to get up. I take them at 6:00 am and get up around 6:30 when they kick in.
I make it through the day okay. I also take armor thyroid for Hypothyroidism. I take one in the morn and 1 at noon when I start feeling tired.
I make it through the work day but lately when I get home from work I get straight into bed sleep until 9:00 at nite and only awaken to get into my PJ's , brush my teeth and tell my two understanding teens goodnight.
I sleep through the night and around it goes again.....This is a poor quality of life
I am divorced from their dad. I feel terribly guilty....I want to spend time with them...even if Its just watching a movie together.
What can I do
I f I only take 1 pill in the morn I will not wake up and I will lose my job. The Provigil is working for the am. It is the only wake up that has ever worked for me.
I also take codeine to help me stay awake and recently my Rhumatologist put me on cymbalta due to sever arthritis of the neck, spine, and knees.
What else can I do to stay awake for just 4 or 5 more hours so I can spend time with my boys????????
\

Linda

Ask if your dosage can be increase to 600mg Provigil/day. As far as I know, this is the highest dose prescribed for this medication. Additionally, you should ask your doctor about Nuvigil, which is made from one of the two active molecules in Provigil--the more active molecule. Nuvigil is more pure than Provigil, and is tolerated a lot better in patients due to less side-effects, it being faster acting (works in about 15 minutes), and it's potential to last up to 10 - 12 hours per dose. Because of this, Nuvigil is prescribed in smaller doses with the maximum dose being 250mg/day, to be taken as a single dose. You wouldn't really want to take a second tablet in the afternoon as this would likely interfere with your sleep schedule, but I have read about people taking both Nuvigil and Provigil.

If you do find that you're developing a tolerance to either of these drugs, it's recommended that you stop taking the drug for two consecutive days every two weeks to ensure that it maintains effectiveness. I hope this helps! If Provigil/Nuvigil still aren't helping you, then one of the final resort for stimulants are amphetamines like Adderall and Ritalin. These are associated with a milieu of side-effects, dependency issues, and may even effect your sleep.

#3 magpie

magpie

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hi Linna,

I am so sorry that things are so rough for you right now. It sounds like you have a lot of things to juggle right now, which must make things even more stressful.

You wrote that you take codeine to stay awake and cymbalta for arthritis, but did you mix those up when you were writing? I thought that codeine was a narcotic for pain, which would not keep a person awake.

Does your sleep doctor know about all the other meds that you are on, and all the other medical issues you have? Does the sleep doc know how much difficulty you are still having waking up and staying away throughout the day? The doctor might think it’s a good idea to increase your Provigil, or add Ritalin or try another drug to improve your quality of life.

Also, is it possible to speak with HR at your work to see about getting a later start time for your job? I know its not always possible depending on the workplace and job, but you should be entitled to certain protections and accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. A later start could even make you a more productive, better and certainly happier worker.

I don’t know what your personal situation is, but is it possible for your kids’ father to take them for a while you get your medical issues under control? I can’t imagine, working and being a single parent (I have no kids), and it must take a lot of energy, and the guilt you feel is obviously weighing heavily on you.

Are you, or have you looked into seeing a therapist to talk to about how you feel sad, desperate and guilty? Depression can also cause or increase fatigue/hypersomnia, which might be making it harder than usual for you to wake up and stay up. Most (I think all) health insurance plans cover mental health, so you can call for a referral, or find one online that takes your insurance.

I hope you talk to your doctor and are able to feel some improvement soon. Good luck.

What can I do
\

Linda

#4 Linna

Linna

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for your reply.....I have been to sleepy to get on the internet lately.
Codine wakes me up.....wierd....
I was told that 400mg of Provigil was the highest.
Is it really 600?
That sounds like an option.
I tried Nuvigil it was okay but did not seem as strong as Provigil.
I tried adderal it made my mind race like crazy and my body could not do everything I was thinking about.
I will ask to get my dosage upped.
Thank you for your help.