Photo

Where Are The Weirdest Places You've Fallen Asleep?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 NightOwl

NightOwl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

Right before I was diagnosed, during an orthodontics treatment.

The dentist was right in the middle of making some tweaks to the tension of my brackets. His hand was literally in my mouth, and I was "out" for about five minutes. Posted Image He told me that he knew that I was one of the most "relaxed" patients he'd ever had in a chair.....but he couldn't believe I'd fallen alseep.

After he left the room, I was trading jokes about it with his assistant. I told her "At least I didn't wake up suddenly, dreaming that some alien was trying to steal my tonsils." That earned me a polite, but very confused looking smile. Then the session was over, and I had to get back to work. Pretty sure she'd never heard of hypnagogic hallucinations before. Posted Image

#22 BrooklynJrerry

BrooklynJrerry

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

I fell asleep by the dentist in middle being drilled a cavity

#23 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

In an MRI machine, despite all of the loud clanging noises. I usually never sleep on my back but I guess the fact that I was laying down at all was conducive for a quick nap. -_-

Yeah...I've slept both times that I've been in an MRI machine.... second time it didn't do much for helping me keep still, because I had a leg jerk and almost fell off the slide. Not sure, but I felt like the tech jabbed me 3 times before finally getting contrast into me because of it....

I did the sleep next to loudspeaker at a concert once.... that ear has been a problem ever since....

I wonder if I want to try to recreate an MRI sound in my bedroom....been playing around with sound masking, but hard to sleep when I have the sound loud enough to mask the sounds that interrupt my sleep....but I'm sure I used to be able to sleep through the noises....need more sleep debt?

The Dreamer

#24 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

I fell asleep by the dentist in middle being drilled a cavity

HA! I just came here to post that I did this today. I got a little weirded out when I saw how big the needle was for the shot of novacane, so I decided to close my eyes for the rest. Well, I guess I dozed off because next thing I knew, they were yanking the wedge thing they put in your mouth to keep it open and sending me on my way.

I've also dozed off while cooking dinner, with a knife in my hand. That one was a little scary.

#25 bluebird

bluebird

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Taking my SATs in high school.

#26 Naptime?

Naptime?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Taking my SATs in high school.

I have fallen alseep many of times while taking tests. Stres really makes me tired, so you can imagine how i tired i get before an exam. In 9th grade they have to give me a new Science profiency exam because i fell asleep and drooled over my test. Needless to say i was so imbarressed.

#27 georgiana

georgiana

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

A few months ago, I fell asleep for possibly 10-15 minutes while I was getting a massive tattoo on my leg.

A nightclub with music blaring and all. Was totally stone sober.

Back home in South Dakota, riding a horse working cattle.

standing up at Lowe's

but worst time was 3rd quarter of the Ohio State/Michigan game! UGH!!

#28 sleepyk

sleepyk

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

In the hallway in high school. I used to just lay down, and my friends knew to just watch me until I was done. Never realized how weird that really was until now...

#29 phreadriquebean

phreadriquebean

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Parrots of all shapes and sizes!

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

The shower. I don't even think I can count the number of times I've fallen asleep in the shower and lately I've been stressed so it's almost every day. I missed the first 30 minutes of a Christmas party this week because I had fallen asleep in the shower, using the body wash bottle as a pillow. I was dreaming about umbrellas and how you always still seem to get wet even with a good one. Oh, and how I hate when the weather changes so the rain gets cold and may as well be snow... Not surprisingly, the water had gone cold by the time my bf arrived and woke me up.

Band class. I played flute and was in the front row. The teacher was focusing on another section and I just fell asleep in my lap.

The floor at work (and at home). I have fallen out of enough chairs that if I really have to sleep, I'll just lay down on the floor wherever I am. The sleep quality is usually better and I have less sleep paralysis that way, too.

The worst ever, though, was study hall on my first day at a new school. Totally normal place to fall asleep but the teacher literally did a song and dance next to my desk to wake me up.

#30 jordan711

jordan711

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

At the Barber Shop - Ha!

The guy started laughing, "Kid....you gotta hold your head up" - which of course woke me up and I flung my head back hitting him in the chest. After that I decided to let my girlfriend cut my hair. Same thing though. Sitting in her garage nodding like crazy. She had way more patience and grace though.

This happened about 6 years ago. Ya forget about that stuff. It was before I was diagnosed, but it was around the time I started to notice I was way too tired ALL the time.

I'm glad I made this my first forum post. I'm going to be chuckling all day - AND I won't be falling down either! Bahaha!

#31 caleb

caleb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Thesis meetings. Mostly while talking, but I've also nodded of at the chalkboard for a second before I had to jerk my head back up.

#32 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Thesis meetings. Mostly while talking, but I've also nodded of at the chalkboard for a second before I had to jerk my head back up.

Don't people fall asleep during those whether or not they have narcolepsy? :lol:

#33 sleepingwillow00

sleepingwillow00

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Well, other than everyday in class, I would have to say when I was working at a nursing home waitingfor a try for a resident while standing. At times get tired of falling asleep in class in front of everyone so I will go to the girls bathroom lock the door and fall asleep on the floor. Haven't been questioned yet but I am waiting for it, lol.

#34 songbird

songbird

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Don't people fall asleep during those whether or not they have narcolepsy? :lol:

Lulz!

Add me to the list for falling asleep at the dentist. And on the band bus in high school, which involved sleeping for several hours on a yellow school bus crammed in with 60 other people in all sorts of weird positions. I've fallen asleep drinking- spilling cold water down my front woke me up. I also fell asleep at the piano, right in the middle of practice. I've fallen asleep during sex, which the other person was not too thrilled about. :blush:

#35 Fluffybunny5000

Fluffybunny5000

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Magic The Gathering, Fishing, Boating, Walking, Reading, Animals, Movies, Music and Painting

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

marching with my bass drum during band practice after school.....

Standing straight up in band class with the drum sticks in my hand....

Watching titanic when it first came out i slept through the entire movie....

Anytime i am riding in a car and not driving....

walking down the hallway at work...

driving my boat... FUN! lol

but all time wierdest place i fell asleep was on a roller coaster at wild aventures in valdosta... sooooo not cool lol

#36 Fluffybunny5000

Fluffybunny5000

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Magic The Gathering, Fishing, Boating, Walking, Reading, Animals, Movies, Music and Painting

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Don't people fall asleep during those whether or not they have narcolepsy? Posted Image

jello-neck-head-bob.. that's what my aunt called it.. she said was quite entertaining to watch. But if someone is giving a speech it is nearly impossible for me to maintain consciousness and luckily i had very undestanding professors and teachers at school.. i got in trouble a lot but eventually they just gave up? hahaha

#37 songbird

songbird

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hahaha that reminds me. When I was in college, we had departmental recitals every Monday afternoon. Over the course of the year, everyone in the music department would play for each other. That auditorium was freaking cold. Even in August, in central Alabama, no less, we would all bring sweaters and hats. One day, the cold and the mid-afternoon and a horrendously long piano piece got to me. My friends and I were sitting in the back row, right in front of the sound booth. Suddenly I hear a "WHAM!" and then my head is hurting. I jello-knecked backwards into the sound booth's hollow retaining wall, which echoed so loudly, every one turned around and looked at me. The only person who didn't was the pianist, to her credit! Every one of my teachers was glaring daggers at me. My friends thought it was funny- typical Eve.

I've fallen asleep numerous time while taking notes. I won't even realize I'm asleep even when an alien asks me how the Dodgers are doing, or it starts raining inside the classroom. I realize when I wake up suddenly, and the dream images are done. And if I dreamed something mundane, I won't realize it was a dream until later. My notebooks are always fun to look at. My writing will get a little sloppy, then suddenly, its just loops or chicken scratch.

:lol: Fluffy, I've never fallen asleep on a rollercoster, so I have to ask... How did you take the waking up part? LOL.

#38 Spot

Spot

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

On a ski lift in Winter Park Colorado.
In the MRI machine.
On a plane which isn't too strange, but they had to wake me up and tell me to get off.
While driving home from work, again not strange unless you consider the fact that it took 7.5 hours to get home when it would normally take 45 minutes. I'd get sleepy, then disoriented, and to this day I still have no idea where I was or how I got home. I remember telling my boyfriend on the cell phone the street names so he could guide me home. That was before he got a computer and I had a dumb phone so he never was able to find me on the (paper) map.
Long entrance ramp to the freeway, in a non-congested area, which was extra wide. I knew there was nothing for several miles in either direction so that was the safest place I could find. I did put my hazards on, it was at 5am on my way to work and I was out for for 8 minutes.
I was robbed while napping in a parking lot in a bad part of town. We don't always get to choose where to pull over. I'm better about locking the car doors when I get in now.
At work, I go hide in a toilet stall to nap. If anything is mentioned, I just say 'That <whatever I ate last > sure didn't agree with me.', and usually nothing more is said.
On the couch with a just made bowl of soup, which ended up in my lap of course. And 4 hrs. later at the other end of said couch I awoke with my hand in a bowl of (now cold) cream of wheat. I don't try eating anymore without a tv tray or other form of table in front of me.

#39 818sis

818sis

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh! I think I thought of mine!

I once fell asleep while kneeling at Mass. For those of you who may not be Catholic, during our church service, there is sometimes a period of light music after we receive Communion. In that brief moment I fell asleep, and woke up because one of the priests dropped a metal lid. It was one of those 'look around to see who saw you awaken with a start' moments.

Runners up:
-In a busy airport under some chairs
-While standing at a youth rally (and I don't have cataplexy!)
-During the Lord of the Rings movie in the theater
-On the train every day going all through Philly in rush hour
-On every one of my textbooks
-In a hammock on a crowded beach
-In my car in a parking lot
-During every Rosary I've ever prayed (only a slight exaggeration)
-On a sidewalk in freezing temps while waiting in line for concert tickets

#40 Enginerd

Enginerd

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Watching titanic when it first came out i slept through the entire movie....

For me, it was Avatar. I tried very hard to stay awake, but it was so looooooong and boring! I remember falling asleep three separate times, and doing the head-bob thing a bunch of other times. It was on Valentine's Day too, so my date wasn't happy about it.

At work, I go hide in a toilet stall to nap. If anything is mentioned, I just say 'That <whatever I ate last > sure didn't agree with me.', and usually nothing more is said.

I couldn't stop laughing after I read this--brilliant!!! I might have to steal your line for future use.

-During the Lord of the Rings movie in the theater
-On the train every day going all through Philly in rush hour

Fortunately, I was young enough not to fall asleep during the LotR movies! But I do often feel like dozing while on SEPTA.....be it the Market-Frankford Line, Broad Street Line, or Regional Rail.