Never Disability For Narcolepsy?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SleepyInOhio

SleepyInOhio

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Most Disability Lawyers only get paid if they win your case. Then the get a percentage of you back pay. In Ohio the max. amount they can charge is $6,000.

#22 SleepyInOhio

SleepyInOhio

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I went to law Judge too. But was denied... Am happy you got it.

#23 Zzzombrie

Zzzombrie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I applied for SSDI in Nov 2008. I just received notice that I have been approved. I had to go all the way to the hearing before the judge but I am proof that narcolepsy can qualify.

Congrats! I just got my first rejection letter. I was told that unless you are obviously bed ridden and dying disability never gets approved on the first go. Friggin' ridiculous IMO. SS told me that I'm not disabled since I've worked in the past. That was 5 years ago and I was barely pulling part-time. I was diagnosed last year but have suffered for a long time with this disorder. Onto a lawyer I go! Did you use a lawyer or just appeal yourself? How'd you make your case?

#24 Midoriliem

Midoriliem

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

A lot of disability services/rights organizations have disability lawyers and advocates.  If you google "disability rights your city/state," those organizations should point you in the right direction. In my time as a social worker, I have never met anyone approved the first time.  I do know two people personally who were approved right away.  One had narcolepsy, cataplexy, and psychosis (among other things); the other had Parkinson's, diabetes, an amputated foot, chronic pain, spinal problems, a couple heart attacks, a few strokes, depression, and probably a few I'm missing.  I really think it's about documentation, getting your doctor on board, and persistence. 

#25 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

the disease itself won't qualify, but you can still apply for disability.  many pwn get it.

#26 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

i created a website that has info on how to get it.  please go to facebook and join the group N. R. G.  and i 'll give u the link.  n. r. g. stands for narcolepsy resource group.