• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 utmost

utmost

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, gardening, reading

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have been diagnosed with narcolepsy/cataplexy for three years. For many years I knew I had some sort of problem, but would never have guessed my many symptoms were probably based in this. I was embarassed to talk with anyone at my long-term job, and quit to take a job I hoped would be less stressful- maybe I could get better. Of course, that didn't happen. Over the last five years I have gone from a respected, well-paying job to being lucky to get part-time hourly work. It is very hard for me to go to even that job due to sleepiness, falls, and the panic and anxiety that have evolved over the years. However, I can't imagine making it without some income. Now, I have filed the papers for social security disability. My doctors think I have a good case. However, I hear stories of being denied several times before being approved. My question is: do I have to quit all work to await a decision on my case? If I am approved can I try to work, at least sometimes? My self-esteem is so low and I think I could easily become "house-bound" if I don't keep pushing myself. This is a horrible disease, few understand, and I remain embarrassed to talk about it. I am new to this web-site. Thankful to find it!

#2 kiragrace

kiragrace

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Most people are denied the first time, but not all. So don't get discouraged if you do, just follow the procedures for continuing to try.

Yes, you can work even if you are approved, there are incentives for you to do so (like better medical coverage),or allowing you to try working for a certain amount of time, etc. but not sure how that works. I