Job Seeking After Diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 magpie

magpie

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

I’m applying for jobs for the first time since having my sleep disorder diagnosed and could use some advice. I’ve asked this to the JAN site, but am hoping to hear from some peoples’ personal experiences. How do you find out if a job schedule is flexible? A lot of jobs I’m looking at have 8 AM start times, and I am just not capable of getting up and to an office at that time. How can you find out if a later start and end time is possible without putting yourself at a disadvantage? I know some positions could be flexible with the schedule, but there may be one or two where part of the job necessitates that the employee be at the location at 8 AM. Anyone have any good advice to pass along- it will be very appreciated.

#2 SubtleGrace

SubtleGrace

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

I’m applying for jobs for the first time since having my sleep disorder diagnosed and could use some advice. I’ve asked this to the JAN site, but am hoping to hear from some peoples’ personal experiences. How do you find out if a job schedule is flexible? A lot of jobs I’m looking at have 8 AM start times, and I am just not capable of getting up and to an office at that time. How can you find out if a later start and end time is possible without putting yourself at a disadvantage? I know some positions could be flexible with the schedule, but there may be one or two where part of the job necessitates that the employee be at the location at 8 AM. Anyone have any good advice to pass along- it will be very appreciated.

I would simply ask the interviewer if "flex time" is available. No need to explain, although you might be asked why. I would simply blame it on having kids, with different school starting times, etc., but you could come up with other reasons or again, you do not need to answer, just say you wanted to know. Ask it along with several other questions so it doesn't stand out. Like, do you have health benefits, vacation, flex time, etc.

Good luck!

#3 tdmom

tdmom

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

What is the JAN site?

#4 ImSleepin

ImSleepin

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

What is the JAN site?

The Job Accommodation Network: http://askjan.org/