Asthma Inhaler As A Temp Quick Fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AckDreams

AckDreams

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Has anyone here ever taken a few puffs of their asthma inhaler just to assure they stay awake behind the wheel? I never have been in an auto accident. I do get sleepy sometimes behind the wheel so I avoid long drives, I don't drive at night, I pull over to nap, etc. Occasionally in the past I have used my asthma inhaler as a quick fix to temporarily ward off sleepiness when I just HAD to push through it. I never admitted this to anyone and I have read a lot about asthma inhaler abuse and I never have taken huge doses and I ALWAYS took a Potassium vitamin and extra beta blocker pill later just to be safe. I always wore a watch with a heart rate monitor to be safe (I was diagnosed as having inappropriate sinus tachycardia for years because no one noticed my prescriptions for Ritalin and Provigil were making my heart rate too high). I never did it to get high nor did I ever get a high off it.

I feel really guilty and ashamed of my occasionally doing this, and very scared my doctor might find out. I only recently learned I have Narcolepsy and in a lot of ways I feel like I'm coming out of the closet about my years of secret various N symptoms. It's very freeing to finally be able to know what this all is and begin talking about it. Over the years I've always felt ashamed and secretive around disguising my N symptoms (which at the time I didn't know were N symptoms) But I suspect I probably shouldn't tell anyone about the asthma inhaler thing. What do you guys think?

#2 kiragrace

kiragrace

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:18 AM

No, I wouldn't and yes, i have, like once or twice, but i don't think it worked. lol. probably a good thing. i just carry a cup of strong black coffee everywhere i go. (and yes, strong black coffee is an acquired taste, but a necessity for me) I will also drink some water with some salt, not sure why that works and i hate salt.

we all have some strange ways that we've dealt with this.

#3 vidar

vidar

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:coffee (especially Italian), working out, travel,

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yes, use of an inhaler working in the short term makes a lot of sense. I get very tachy from it so I can't take it (long story on why I know that...). The most common short acting one is ventolin or generics of it and it is a beta agonist. Basically, it is a stimulant that you in inhale so it almost instantly starts to enter your blood stream after inhaling.

#4 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Brilliant!