Photo

Self Inflicted Pain Effective To Drive Safe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

when i feel sleep coming on behind the wheel i slap my own face about 5-10 times;hard and fast as im capable to.

IT WORKS! but only for a couple of minutes. then i do it again.

-doinmdarndest

#2 mgl

mgl

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

when i feel sleep coming on behind the wheel i slap my own face about 5-10 times;hard and fast as im capable to.

IT WORKS! but only for a couple of minutes. then i do it again.

-doinmdarndest

I find that works if I'm not too far gone.
I sometimes hold ice on my eyelids. One side at a time, obviously.

(Not a diagnosed PWN though.)

#3 cancoffeeman

cancoffeeman

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Taxonomy, Physical Sciences, History, Civilization/Race/Culture, Brain Activity, Swimming, Running, Diving, Playing Football, watching Basketball/ Soccer, and my Girls of course!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I too have found that slapping myself is the only good way of putting it off (without leaving permanent damage). I have to count between slaps to make sure though usually one to ten works great. It helps alot if you hit the nose and area over the eyes, not just the side of the face.

#4 Tired while teaching

Tired while teaching

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:camping, reading, illustration, teach first grade

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I too have found that slapping myself is the only good way of putting it off (without leaving permanent damage). I have to count between slaps to make sure though usually one to ten works great. It helps alot if you hit the nose and area over the eyes, not just the side of the face.

Why don't you pull off the road and take a nap? Why put yourself and everyone else jeopardy?

#5 LaurenM

LaurenM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking/playing with my dogs, playing piano, shopping, yoga

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

Why don't you pull off the road and take a nap? Why put yourself and everyone else jeopardy?

Even if I have pulled off the road to take a nap, I could get out of my car and feel fine, start driving again, and experience the same symptoms within minutes. I don't know if someone knows how to restart your body to get rid of the cataplexy, but it drives me nuts! I have a max of 20 minutes before I start nodding off. I'm wondering if an increase in Provigil would help. I've been on amphetamine medications prior to being diagnosed with narcolepsy, and those worked well for driving (I just felt like I was on speed and it was horrible). Unfortunately my doctor says that amphetamines (adderall, dexedrine) are not meant to be used with Provigil and I am NOT stopping Provigil - my life would stop.

Slapping in the face is really countering the cataplexy - I also try changing my environment by putting down the windows and feeling the wind, putting the heat or air conditioning on, singing along to music.

Is there a guide anywhere to prevent cataplexy while driving - it sucks it sucks i hate it.

#6 steviewonderzzz

steviewonderzzz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Retired steamship chief engineer. Used 4 naps/day to troubleshoot the machinery. Have 1930s cars and trucks, lathes and bridgeport mill, welders, like to fix things and create mechanical devices. I have been studying "wu wu" stuff, I can read tarot cards, analyze dreams, use devining rods, past life regressions, etc. Studying various religions (dead and current), philosophies, psychology, physics, metaphysics, and of course consciousness. I ask the "why" questions that everyone wants to ignore. My life has been colored with energy conservation, from how much fuel does a steam plant consume to how many minutes I can stay conscious at a social function. Energy is precious! If everyone had narcolepsy then there would be no energy left for wars.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Even if I have pulled off the road to take a nap, I could get out of my car and feel fine, start driving again, and experience the same symptoms within minutes. I don't know if someone knows how to restart your body to get rid of the cataplexy, but it drives me nuts! I have a max of 20 minutes before I start nodding off. I'm wondering if an increase in Provigil would help. I've been on amphetamine medications prior to being diagnosed with narcolepsy, and those worked well for driving (I just felt like I was on speed and it was horrible). Unfortunately my doctor says that amphetamines (adderall, dexedrine) are not meant to be used with Provigil and I am NOT stopping Provigil - my life would stop.

Slapping in the face is really countering the cataplexy - I also try changing my environment by putting down the windows and feeling the wind, putting the heat or air conditioning on, singing along to music.

Is there a guide anywhere to prevent cataplexy while driving - it sucks it sucks i hate it.

I have been driving with excessive daytime sleepiness for forty years now. I have always considered that it takes me TWICE as long to drive anywhere over 60 miles, one hour of driving to one hour of napping. If it is under 60 miles, just add 45 minutes to the "normal" drive time, sometimes a 12 min trip into town takes and hour. When I was commuting to work I would arrive an hour early and sleep in my car with TWO alarm clocks. Yes, having narcolepsy is very time and money consuming, but SAFELY driving is better than carrying the guilt of killing someone and spending a month in the hospital. Twenty five years ago I lived in SF CA, and at night could receive AM radio signals from a Utah station that played old radio drama shows from the 30s and 40s. Listening to those shows kept me engaged and awake. Maybe those shows are available on CDs. Also, I was diagnosed with ADD first, and three years later with narcolepsy. I use provigil, and occasionally I will just take a lick of an adderal tablet to keep me focused on one thing for about 30 min. Neither of my doctors have a problem with me doing this.

#7 keean

keean

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Agreed, not only that just stop driving. This is the craziest thread I've read on this forum. Stop driving if you have sleep attacks and cataplexy! Slapping yourself or any other silly thing like that is not going to improve your performance. It is better for you and everyone else driving, biking, walking etc out there if you stopped driving at all. It sucks big time to not be able to drive, but that's reality of this disorder.