Photo

Mtv Filming Me For True Life Narcolespy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sam i am

sam i am

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping (duh!), art, design, music, and my cat.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hi,
I have yet to post on Narcolepsy Network, but I wanted to spread the word that I'm going to be filmed for a few weeks by a producer from MTV for True Life.

My name is Samantha, and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy a little over a year ago, in October of 2009. I started out taking Provigil, until it wore off, and then they tried me on Nuvigil, which I preferred. Since I started treatment I've lost about 20 pounds. Nuvigil also wore off (I went from 150mg to 250mg) and I started taking fast release dextroamphetamine in 5mg tabs up to 6 times a day. They make me break out and make my hair fall out, but they are helpful in that I can take them after I wake up from a nap and through out the day, instead of only once a day like Nuvigil. After a while, I started taking both, under my doctor's permission. So I was taking one Nuvigil, with a dextroamphetamine; at this time I quit drinking coffee. Nuvigil is obviously extremely expensive; I have a savings card thing that makes it only $30 I think, but I don't work right now (I quit my previous job when I changed my major in school. I realized there was no way I could do both. The previous semester I cut my schedule to only two classes so I could work and go to school, and get enough sleep). I didn't refill my last prescription for Nuvigil, hoping that if I don't take it for a while it will be effective alone in a few months. It's been about 3 months of solely taking dextroamphetamine, and I'm going to try to stop whlie the cameras are filming and start taking Nuvigil again. I've gained about 10 pounds back without Nuvigil.

I've been taking up to 4 pills a day, usually 3. Today I only took 2 in addition to a nap and I can already feel the withdrawal. I'm feeling more depressed and a whole hell of a lot more sleepy. I've also been taking Wellbutrin (150mg) and Lexapro (10mg) for who knows how long (like 5 years) for anxiety and depression.

I don't know how I'll cope through the filming and withdrawl, or ultimately what I'll do about working. I'm a Graphic Design major, so hopefully one day I can work from home, but I feel like I could never fully support myself and narcolepsy. I want to get disability from social security so I don't have to worry about money while I finish school, but I read on the forum that it's very unlikely I'll get it.

Anyway, I wanted to reach out to everyone on this website and let you know that I'll do the best I can to represent us and our disability.

This is my YouTube channel, how MTV found me: http://youtube.com/putonyourhat

Im going to try to keep up the vlogs about the show and what it's like while they film. Thanks for taking the time to read this and take care!!

Samantha

#2 Shooze

Shooze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:NIA - fusion fitness because I DEFY the notion that PWN are prone to being overweight.

LOVE Argentine Tango...learning more and more all the time!

In 2002 I got real with myself and started on a 3-year journey to fitness and health. I lost 45 pounds and have maintained weight, strength and flexibility for the past three years. I exercise three times a week, dance, eat reasonably, and drink LOTS of water.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Hi Sam
I have some thoughts about managing without you Nuvigil. You can contact me at shooze79@gmail.com

Hi,
I have yet to post on Narcolepsy Network, but I wanted to spread the word that I'm going to be filmed for a few weeks by a producer from MTV for True Life.

My name is Samantha, and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy a little over a year ago, in October of 2009. I started out taking Provigil, until it wore off, and then they tried me on Nuvigil, which I preferred. Since I started treatment I've lost about 20 pounds. Nuvigil also wore off (I went from 150mg to 250mg) and I started taking fast release dextroamphetamine in 5mg tabs up to 6 times a day. They make me break out and make my hair fall out, but they are helpful in that I can take them after I wake up from a nap and through out the day, instead of only once a day like Nuvigil. After a while, I started taking both, under my doctor's permission. So I was taking one Nuvigil, with a dextroamphetamine; at this time I quit drinking coffee. Nuvigil is obviously extremely expensive; I have a savings card thing that makes it only $30 I think, but I don't work right now (I quit my previous job when I changed my major in school. I realized there was no way I could do both. The previous semester I cut my schedule to only two classes so I could work and go to school, and get enough sleep). I didn't refill my last prescription for Nuvigil, hoping that if I don't take it for a while it will be effective alone in a few months. It's been about 3 months of solely taking dextroamphetamine, and I'm going to try to stop whlie the cameras are filming and start taking Nuvigil again. I've gained about 10 pounds back without Nuvigil.

I've been taking up to 4 pills a day, usually 3. Today I only took 2 in addition to a nap and I can already feel the withdrawal. I'm feeling more depressed and a whole hell of a lot more sleepy. I've also been taking Wellbutrin (150mg) and Lexapro (10mg) for who knows how long (like 5 years) for anxiety and depression.

I don't know how I'll cope through the filming and withdrawl, or ultimately what I'll do about working. I'm a Graphic Design major, so hopefully one day I can work from home, but I feel like I could never fully support myself and narcolepsy. I want to get disability from social security so I don't have to worry about money while I finish school, but I read on the forum that it's very unlikely I'll get it.

Anyway, I wanted to reach out to everyone on this website and let you know that I'll do the best I can to represent us and our disability.

Im going to try to keep up the vlogs about the show and what it's like while they film. Thanks for taking the time to read this and take care!!

Samantha

#3 sam i am

sam i am

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping (duh!), art, design, music, and my cat.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

This is an update of the MTV story: http://on.fb.me/jhbeAv

Hi,

Samantha

#4 ohiolor

ohiolor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the update. I hope they use you on the show. Please post here when you find out when it will air.

Lorrie