Correlation Between Giftedness And Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 jege15

jege15

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

jajajajajajja....i too did something similar to seem as if i was paying attention in class. I used to put the big txtbook in my lap and therefore my body could never go all the way forward because the big book kept me upright...i think we all find ways to sleep hu?...

yeah, i scored 135 on the intelligence scale. in 7th grade i used the heels of my hands unnder my chin to prop my head up while sleeping-a most exacting technique was refined-so that

unless the teacher looked directly at my upright head, she may not notice i was sleeping. only from closed eyes behind glasses was this then apparent. i slept in class a lot this way.

i do not find it unfortunate that my n. was yet not diagnosed then.

rather, im grateful that it is now. from here only my treatment is of importance in the matter.

my higher intelligences usually are as a retiree's tools of trade gathering dust in the attic.

i like being a simple, hard working man in construction. pride myself in this alone (do have prowess w/shovel), and in commitment to family.

only in pursuit of my treatment need i use highest faculties. hope i can hack it.

advise and prayers i can only be grateful for, should any pwn have for me same.

ive no idea how this comes across. did i remember to include well wishes to other PWN in their life pursuits?

i do so with this if not, wish all Godspeed to all here as well, to each fellow narcoleptic now struggling for wellness.

Hope my many postings have not been a nuiscance...apologies if so.

-doinmdarndest

#22 jege15

jege15

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

jajajajajajja....i too did something similar to seem as if i was paying attention in class. I used to put the big txtbook in my lap and therefore my body could never go all the way forward because the big book kept me upright...i think we all find ways to sleep hu?...

yeah, i scored 135 on the intelligence scale. in 7th grade i used the heels of my hands unnder my chin to prop my head up while sleeping-a most exacting technique was refined-so that

unless the teacher looked directly at my upright head, she may not notice i was sleeping. only from closed eyes behind glasses was this then apparent. i slept in class a lot this way.

i do not find it unfortunate that my n. was yet not diagnosed then.

rather, im grateful that it is now. from here only my treatment is of importance in the matter.

my higher intelligences usually are as a retiree's tools of trade gathering dust in the attic.

i like being a simple, hard working man in construction. pride myself in this alone (do have prowess w/shovel), and in commitment to family.

only in pursuit of my treatment need i use highest faculties. hope i can hack it.

advise and prayers i can only be grateful for, should any pwn have for me same.

ive no idea how this comes across. did i remember to include well wishes to other PWN in their life pursuits?

i do so with this if not, wish all Godspeed to all here as well, to each fellow narcoleptic now struggling for wellness.

Hope my many postings have not been a nuiscance...apologies if so.

-doinmdarndest

#23 Since1967

Since1967

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Let's say a person IS gifted and has N. It is probably very important for that person to follow their interests in life in order to avoid boredom. But the same is true if one is not quite gifted. But the so-called gifted person may be a little more prone to getting bored which is an invitation for a sleep attack.

#24 salomeforever

salomeforever

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary art, film and video, crafts, psychology

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I was also a 'gifted' kid; I learned to read at a very early age, and school was insanely easy for me up until college. I tested into a special pull out program for the gifted and talented, and I'd go to a special day of classes once a week focusing on more exciting and creative learning. I would sleep through all my classes starting in I guess middle school, I always assumed everyone was that tired and just better at dealing with it than I was. The work was so easy for me though it was never a problem. I'm an art student now (graduating in a month!) but I attend a public university and have to take all the core classes as well. Diagnosed between my third and fourth year, I'm still struggling with the guilt and shame and frustration I feel with myself for no longer being the best at everything. It's nice to know that others can relate to that as well.

As far as creativity goes, I think I definitely have an edge from my intense dreams and I guess tendency to a kind of lucid-ness. It's been very stressful to me thinking of getting a job, however, because I have such a hard time getting anywhere on time, and staying awake. The art/media world is extremely demanding, you're really expected even in school to stay up as long as needed to get the job done, and for times when that is either not an option or severely poses a threat to my safety, I'm still not really sure how to handle it. I worry about being able to physically get a job, even though I know I am beyond valuable as an employee for my creative thinking and problem solving. I also struggle with being known as a disabled artist; I feel the need to explain my disorder to excuse what is often perceived as a lack of productivity, lack of drive. However, I also think my work stands very well against anyone else's, I don't want to be put into a box of being "good for a disabled person", my work is good for any person! Does anyone else feel like this? I know a lot of it is my perfectionist, gifted, type A overachiever self.

#25 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I was also a 'gifted' kid; I learned to read at a very early age, and school was insanely easy for me up until college. I tested into a special pull out program for the gifted and talented, and I'd go to a special day of classes once a week focusing on more exciting and creative learning. I would sleep through all my classes starting in I guess middle school, I always assumed everyone was that tired and just better at dealing with it than I was. The work was so easy for me though it was never a problem. I'm an art student now (graduating in a month!) but I attend a public university and have to take all the core classes as well. Diagnosed between my third and fourth year, I'm still struggling with the guilt and shame and frustration I feel with myself for no longer being the best at everything. It's nice to know that others can relate to that as well.

As far as creativity goes, I think I definitely have an edge from my intense dreams and I guess tendency to a kind of lucid-ness. It's been very stressful to me thinking of getting a job, however, because I have such a hard time getting anywhere on time, and staying awake. The art/media world is extremely demanding, you're really expected even in school to stay up as long as needed to get the job done, and for times when that is either not an option or severely poses a threat to my safety, I'm still not really sure how to handle it. I worry about being able to physically get a job, even though I know I am beyond valuable as an employee for my creative thinking and problem solving. I also struggle with being known as a disabled artist; I feel the need to explain my disorder to excuse what is often perceived as a lack of productivity, lack of drive. However, I also think my work stands very well against anyone else's, I don't want to be put into a box of being "good for a disabled person", my work is good for any person! Does anyone else feel like this? I know a lot of it is my perfectionist, gifted, type A overachiever self.

I used to be gifted. Routinely pegged the 160s in IQ. Now, most days I feel more "special" than gifted.

#26 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

This thread amounts to some good conversation. Thought I might update everyone on my little struggle, what it's objective was and what conclusions it has brought me to.

My circumstances w/my treatment are likely unique. It began well prior to my dx/MSLT+ and legal amphetamine Rx. I found meth 30 yrs ago, w/this for me came a way to correct the abnormality my narcolepsy symptoms amount to. An abnormality of which I was unaware even as I had awareness that for some reason I truly needed my meth. and others using same did so on an elective basis.

I find the inclusion of this needed to tell my tale....a tale of tolerance to stimulants so very, very high that i will never be fully treated by an MD's Rx, ever. Obvioulsly, my high tolerance is because of the decades spent self-medicating daily w/illegal meth. Today, the 60mg/d of mixed amphetamine salts that is the manufacturer's recommended maximum dose will have -0- effect upon me. I can actually consume this amt. and it does NOTHING. This would hold true after a washout of weeks duration, even months. I swear by all i love this is only the simple truth.

I currently am rx'ed 300 mg/d mixed amphetamine salts. This is a miracle i am truly grateful to my rx'er. Unfortunately about 500mg/d is indicated. I am forced to consume my Rx @ this rate and return to illegal meth when the monthly supply runs out prematurely.

I have done all I can to get the amt. i need rx'ed and have found it quite impossible.

Some of you may suspect i would benefit from an extensive washout and that perhaps i should reconsider my beleif that i truly benefit from massive doses of stimulants.

I submit that I do, and that I am of sound mind. There may be people adversely affected by stimulants deluding them into the beleif that they are the anti-christ.

W/rueful laughter I realized recently who I must be.

The Anti-Tigger.

Anyone remember Tigger? The most wonderful thing about Milne's tigger was that he was the only one!

As i write i struggle w/the brutal cash drain the so-called 'poor man's cocaine' (meth) and my finances ever remain on the precipice of ruin and perdition to follow.

There will never be legal, medically supervised treatment of my symptoms on a consistent, day to day basis. Remember how bouncy Tigger was?

Well the Anti-Tigger is somnolescent w/untreated n. symptoms to an equal degree.

And the most terrible thing about Anti-Tiggers...........is being the only one. Yes, 500mg/d mixed amphetamine salts is indicated. Never to be Rx'ed

Sally forth, all. Remember me in your prayers. Keep the focus on things positive; regrets that not so much in the way of this is possible for me to express here, save the following axiom: any day spent on this side of the grass is a good one!

Hope i can spend all mine asymtomatic w/my eds fully treated, one way or the other. Just wish it could be just the one. Intrepid hero MD, where could you be??

#27 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have always considered myself a bit smarter than the average. I'm not trying to sound cocky but it's true. I've always had the ability and potential to be a high achiever however my N holds me back. Even with my abilities its hard to complete homework assignments on lessons I completely slept through. Most of the time it's easy enough to skim the textbook chapters and piece together the information, but there are some things that are nice to have a teacher for. I progress the best in reading comprehension and writing and still do good in mathematics and science. My hope is to get a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science but I still have another year of high school ahead of me before I can begin.

#28 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have always considered myself a bit smarter than the average. I'm not trying to sound cocky but it's true. I've always had the ability and potential to be a high achiever however my N holds me back. Even with my abilities its hard to complete homework assignments on lessons I completely slept through. Most of the time it's easy enough to skim the textbook chapters and piece together the information, but there are some things that are nice to have a teacher for. I progress the best in reading comprehension and writing and still do good in mathematics and science. My hope is to get a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science but I still have another year of high school ahead of me before I can begin.

Good luck. I'm a CPE myself, though not Master level. I will say to be sure to get plenty of IRL experience through work study/co-op if you can, because the market is over-saturated with new grads in our field, due to the poor economy and the tech resurgence that happened right before it tanked. Many people jumped into CPE being virtually guaranteed a job with a 90k starting salary, only to graduate and end up busing tables or taking low paying IT/tech positions. If you can, I encourage you to find a good pigeonhole, because it seems like most of the ones that are excelling are doing so because they picked one ultra-specific specialization and got really really good at it. I personally recommend parallel programming, because it's woefully underexplored in most curriculae, and seeing as it importance is still relatively new, many experienced developers can't multithread even embarrassingly parallel algorithms, due to inexperience with that mode of thinking.

#29 Ciraeyna

Ciraeyna

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:married, Mom of 3, research scientist, WoW addict, newly diagnosed with N+C after >20 years

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm a scientist, though it's antibiotics I study and not neurobiology (which would have been pretty cool considering I could be my own test subject). B)

I've always been pretty smart, but I've always worked hard at it too. I tried to make 100% on everything I did, all the time. Studying was a b*tch because I'd read the same page over and over and over again, never able to focus on the whole thing long enough to learn it. Falling asleep trying to study all the time, etc.

I couldn't wait to finish my undergrad and get out of school. It took so much effort. Now, 20 years later, I know why. I was always fighting to stay awake and force myself to concentrate. It's a shame really. You can't go that far in a scientific career without having a PhD. I am 100% positive I'm smart enough to do it. I just couldn't stay awake long enough. :blink:

Fortunately, I love what I do and it's easy to be interested in it. I CAN stay awake when I'm interested, though I do dump a lot of my daily energy into forcing that wakefulness. The few people I've told about the narcolepsy are shocked - they apparently never noticed my daily struggle. I guess that's good and bad. Good that I've managed to be productive and have a successful career despite narcolepsy. Bad because I wonder if they really believe me; and if they do, they probably think the disease is no big deal because of how much I've been able to accomplish in my life. But...I'm tired. Really tired. I've pushed myself to succeed through the dark cloud of this disease for over 20 years, and I've hit the wall. I've had enough.

There was a post a few back about focusing on stuff. Apologies to the writer, as I forget who you are. I wanted to comment that I'm an uber-focuser. When I get in the "zone" I keep going and going and going. Energizer bunny style. I don't eat, I don't sleep, I don't go to the bathroom...I am PART of what I'm doing and it consumes me until I finish. Woe to anyone who interrupts me during one of those zonings!!! LOL

#30 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm a scientist, though it's antibiotics I study and not neurobiology (which would have been pretty cool considering I could be my own test subject). B)

I've always been pretty smart, but I've always worked hard at it too. I tried to make 100% on everything I did, all the time. Studying was a b*tch because I'd read the same page over and over and over again, never able to focus on the whole thing long enough to learn it. Falling asleep trying to study all the time, etc.

I couldn't wait to finish my undergrad and get out of school. It took so much effort. Now, 20 years later, I know why. I was always fighting to stay awake and force myself to concentrate. It's a shame really. You can't go that far in a scientific career without having a PhD. I am 100% positive I'm smart enough to do it. I just couldn't stay awake long enough. :blink:

Fortunately, I love what I do and it's easy to be interested in it. I CAN stay awake when I'm interested, though I do dump a lot of my daily energy into forcing that wakefulness. The few people I've told about the narcolepsy are shocked - they apparently never noticed my daily struggle. I guess that's good and bad. Good that I've managed to be productive and have a successful career despite narcolepsy. Bad because I wonder if they really believe me; and if they do, they probably think the disease is no big deal because of how much I've been able to accomplish in my life. But...I'm tired. Really tired. I've pushed myself to succeed through the dark cloud of this disease for over 20 years, and I've hit the wall. I've had enough.

There was a post a few back about focusing on stuff. Apologies to the writer, as I forget who you are. I wanted to comment that I'm an uber-focuser. When I get in the "zone" I keep going and going and going. Energizer bunny style. I don't eat, I don't sleep, I don't go to the bathroom...I am PART of what I'm doing and it consumes me until I finish. Woe to anyone who interrupts me during one of those zonings!!! LOL

I was concerned last year that I might have ADHD and went through testing. It turned out I am really smart and do not have ADHD. 11 months later, the Narcolepsy diagnosis finally explained my difficulty concentrating for extended periods of time- I would just start falling asleep. I also wish my mystery had been solved sooner. I have pushed myself relentlessly hard over time to accomplish what I have. I can be incredibly focused and determined. I had become so accustomed to pushing myself beyond my limits that I seemed like the energizer bunny to others. And people believe what they see. I never felt like what they saw. I felt like that movie "Speed"- if I slowed down I was done for. I have lived in the zone for so long, I actually screwed up my body temporarily. My "Pregnenolone" level and Vitamin D were both super low. Somehow my FP knew to check this- the relentless stress of pushing myself so hard wiped me out. Since I have been addressing this deficit I feel sooo much better.

So, right now I am learning how to relax. Xyrem has reduced my EDS so much that I no longer need a stimulant. I can relax without falling asleep- what a novelty.

#31 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Heard a country song on the radio while flipping channels the other day, and the chorus really caught my attention:

"The Only Way I Know", Jason Aldean

Chorus:
That’s the only way I know
Don’t stop till everything’s gone
Straight ahead never turn round
Don’t back up, don’t back down
Full throttle wide open
You get tired, you don’t show it
Dig a little deeper when you think you can’t dig no more
That’s the only way I know

I never got tested for the "gifted" programs in school, because school bored me to tears and I coasted by doing as little as possible. When you don't do homework or reports or projects or whatever, you don't get better than a C, even if you ace all the tests, except possibly in elementary school. And I gave up on school in 1st grade--but that's a story for another time.

I did have a lot of IQ tests when I was fairly young. My mother worked at a university, and the education department needed guinea pigs for the students to practice on. Those were so much fun! I remember once, I didn't like the lady doing the test, so I deliberately answered every possible thing wrong. She was just so flabbergasted, because I'd also been used as a demo in several classes. The professor seemed to think it was amazing that, while I was reading something aloud, if I came to a word I didn't know, I'd sound it out in my head instead of aloud. Never understood why that was surprising. Though I suppose it probably was surprising that, when he had me reading sections of their textbooks aloud, I understood what I was reading. Whatever.

All I really know is, I'm neither a dummy, nor am I what would be considered "average" today. I'm pretty smart. And everything I've done, including finally going back to school, I've done exactly the way that song says it. It may have to be my new theme song.

#32 Sincitychick

Sincitychick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Very intersting. I too have a 137 IQ and was diagnosed ADD when I was in 5th grade... only later to find out I have N... they now state that they feel the ADD diagnosis was wrong, and what I really had was struggling with symptoms of undiagnosed N....

#33 h.wynn

h.wynn

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I was dignosed with Dyslexia in 1st grade. I can remember that is when I started getting tired. I was told that i had an IQ of 149. My mom would not let me be in the gifted program. She said that it would be to hard for me. Insted I got Specal ed. That was way to easy.my last IQ test for school was my senior year I got 147. I have never been any good at school. At 23 I did a bunch of testing to try to find out what was wrong with me. They did a IQ test is was 118. That seemed like a large drop. They said I had ADD.  Thet put me on ritalin. It worked for a few months, then the anxiety got to be too much. I think they were wrong about the ADD. The Dyslexia I think they were right or I just got a piss pore education. From a school rated number 303 top school in the nation. So when i was 31 I got the N dignoses I think they are right. What has always botherd me is the drop in my IQ. Till last year when I had my daughter tested. The Dr. said that there is a 20 Point margen of error. Well that explanes it one of them was wrong  eather the school or the ADD guys. I guess I will never know.

#34 Sisu

Sisu

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was placed in gifted classes which I then failed out of- combination of terrible home life and narcolepsy. Never got diagnosed. College didn't happen. Now I'm in night school. I have a lot of greative skills and intellectual resources which I wish I'd had treatment earlier so I could have developed more; since I didn't, i'm doing the best I can at this late juncture.

I think that it would be interesting to see research in this. Certainly there have been a great many gifted people over the course of history with well-documented erratic or unusual sleeping habits, so there may be a correlation.

#35 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

An Update: I was pegged as "gifted and talented" growing up. I didn't really have a problem until the middle of High school and ALL of college. Got diagnosed at the age of 25. So, I had 7-9 years where Narcolepsy started to sink in and got progressivly worse. Lifestyle changes helped me through those years.

#36 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

This will perhaps all sound sort of, or quite, wacky.!

It is said people learn more, or perhaps better tune what the person regularly does (activity skill and/or thought habit) through the days, during sleep dreaming

So, the fact that persons with Narcolepsy have vivid dreams and more so frequent dreaming, as well as intermixed dreaming during the wake and the sleep states; maybe such directly relates to the topic at hand. 

I don't like to think of myself as neither gifted nor talented, but it is clear to me that there are things that I naturally (such has at least felt naturally) have excelled at and/or within, as there are also things I have no ability to function with and/or participate within.  As to what I've excelled at and/or within, they would be things related directly to activities and/or thoughts which I am passionate about and/or stimulated by (therefore often or at frequent times have, dreamt about). 

Also, I very much don't like to think there is anyone (who begins, or that from when I meet is) unequal or not within the same, as all others; that is to simply try to say, that we really are only one, all of the same yet individually different in vast ways. 

As well, I like to think that there is so much more that is unknown about what we live within and what is within each of every system (taking knowledge of all combined), than there is possibly known about such (again taking all knowledge combined).  Knowing and remembering, in other words, that: 'No one, can know it all; nor can all as only one, know all.'  Such helps to take frequent steps backward in preventing becoming closed off (close-minded) like; yet that's far off the wall!.

#37 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think I said this in another thread, but I'm not sure so much that N and intelligence correlate, but rather, many of the symptoms of N are markedly worse in gifted individuals. I seem to recall reading lots of stuff about how smart people need more sleep on average. So I thinker higher IQs are potentially more impaired by EDS, therefore, more likely to seek treatment. Additionally, data is going to be skewed, due to the fact that many in the working class cannot afford proper healthcare, so even if they do have issues, they are less likely to seek treatment due to the expense. And since the working class is (generally, but not all for sure!) less educated, this could also help a bit in explaining the trend.

#38 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Interesting. 

Not to leave out the fact, that the working class tends to be running (an endless race) and/or simply are without much (if any) free time to themselves, time to think outside of their career and/or job.

Another element may be, people prefer to interact often rather than to analyze often.  Reflection and contemplation, relate.

Definitely the 'proper healthcare' varies unfortunately, it seems for near no one that I know, possible nor affordable to actually find 'such'; unless we're speaking in regards to an perhaps injury or a minor matter.  Such is sad.

#39 nike0518

nike0518

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

my mom and dad tell stories of when i was young (elementary ) i would get straight A's and my teachers constantly asked my parents to place me in "gifted classes" but i refused bc i hated "work" ... 

never tried as hard as i could of in school until this school yr.. for personal "enlightenment" reasons prior to my recent dx of narcolepsy. and now with the meds i feel somewhat normal (much better than w/out meds) but i struggle with the side effects with ritalin ... try my best to not let ritalin change my personality but its pretty weird in effects on personality..

now im giving it my all in HS (very difficult still though) but man i appreciate school and my great teachers.. but ive asked myself since dx too what would i be like in school if i didn't have narcolepsy... i thought mayb it makes me smart because of the badd memory that pwn have i had to improvise in order to remember interesting subjects in school..Like math and science and what i do is figure out why? are certain things true rather than just memorizing it ..

but yeah just wanted to share my experience 

#40 wakeywakey

wakeywakey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

I've always been considered smart, though in college, when my narc kicked in, I got good grades because I studied ALL the time since I was actually mostly sleeping during all that studying. Now that I'm medicated, I realize that the meds only help me stay awake --but I still can't concentrate. It makes me wonder if I have ADD/ADHD. I can read TMZ or organize all my files, but for the life of me, I can't sit down and read the documents I have to read for work and actually pay attention. I've told my doc, but of course, there's nothing he can do except try a new med. Do y'all have this problem? Do the meds actually allow you to concentrate?

Thanks.