Photo

Bike Commuting Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Noel

Noel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Running, soccer, hiking, photography, the outdoors - anything active to keep me from sleeping all day!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, or is able to, but bike commuting has solved the majority of my driving issues with narcolepsy. I have literally stopped driving within the city, unless I absolutely have to, and bike every day to work and school. It helps wake me up in the morning and evenings when I ride, and I never have to worry about falling asleep while I'm biking! This also reduces the amount of medication I have to take, as I mainly only take it for my own safety when driving - I manage throughout the day with caffeine and naps. Now I only take my medication if I am going on a long drive.

It is a great way to get exercise as well, which helps with my sleepiness, and I often don't have time to exercise on top of everything else I have going on throughout the day. Bike commuting gives me an automatic 30 minutes or more of exercise daily!

Anyways, if you are able to - I would highly suggest biking to work/school/movies/whatever as an alternative to driving - especially if you are at risk for falling asleep at the wheel. It has helped me out a lot, but luckily I also live in the very bike-friendly city of Portland, OR, so that makes it a lot easier!

#2 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well, glad its working for you.

I took up bike riding to and from work last year. It stopped in August, when I have my bike accident. I blinked and a tree jumped out and tried to get me, instead I jammed the brakes and went flying over the handle bars. And, no...I wasn't wearing a helmet. Messed up my right arm.

I started riding again in the spring this year, but started having knee problems...and then in the evenings, there would be times where I would be so sleepy that I was afraid to ride my bike home.

Though I've been thinking of getting a new bike....guess we'll see how I feel next year.

Meanwhile, I'm hobble to and from work....I broke my toe by walking into a first aid box, which was sitting on the floor against the wall by my coffee maker...

The Dreamer.

#3 SleepingPhoenix

SleepingPhoenix

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Foodie, and cook. Also love the beach and movies. Since diagnosed on Fall 2010, not much of going out without the fear of falling asleep. Life a disaster though fighting to make it though. Only faith keeps me going.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, or is able to, but bike commuting has solved the majority of my driving issues with narcolepsy. I have literally stopped driving within the city, unless I absolutely have to, and bike every day to work and school. It helps wake me up in the morning and evenings when I ride, and I never have to worry about falling asleep while I'm biking! This also reduces the amount of medication I have to take, as I mainly only take it for my own safety when driving - I manage throughout the day with caffeine and naps. Now I only take my medication if I am going on a long drive.

It is a great way to get exercise as well, which helps with my sleepiness, and I often don't have time to exercise on top of everything else I have going on throughout the day. Bike commuting gives me an automatic 30 minutes or more of exercise daily!

Anyways, if you are able to - I would highly suggest biking to work/school/movies/whatever as an alternative to driving - especially if you are at risk for falling asleep at the wheel. It has helped me out a lot, but luckily I also live in the very bike-friendly city of Portland, OR, so that makes it a lot easier!

Im gonna try it. I was afraid of falling asleep while riding, but this might be what I need. Thanks!

#4 keean

keean

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Im gonna try it. I was afraid of falling asleep while riding, but this might be what I need. Thanks!

I've stopped driving and I ride my bike everywhere. Sometimes I've been fighting a sleep attack and have trouble riding and have to walk. Sometimes I have to stop and sleep in the grass. It sucks, but I think it's safer to bike than drive.

#5 brittany

brittany

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I ride a bike only cuz I have to. I got in a car accident from falling asleep. Still waiting for it to get fixed, I need a car. I just need to take a caffine pill before I go for a drive.

I hate having to ride my bike everywhere. I don't want to be exercising before and after work, I'm already tired. I've fallen asleep while riding before a couple times with my old job when i had to wake up early every day and ride across town. I ran into a parked truck and also went off the sidewalk, which woke me up. I used to try to bike to school but i'd be crying on my way there from being so tired. I'm not gonna bother trying to go to school without a car. It's too hard.

#6 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well, I'm considering taking up the bike riding again....

....though still not sure I really want to wear a helmet.... :wacko:

Though I've wondered about one of them kick scooters?

The Dreamer.

#7 kyethra

kyethra

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

I do have a semi recumbent tricycle that I adore. I want to upgrade to a new model at some point as this is huge and thus very slow. I was able to use this is my primary mode of transportation to campus.

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I would like to bike to work because its only two miles. Its not a viable option though because there are no bike lanes and the uber conservatives around here try to run bikers off the road on purpose sometimes, and in general noone watches for bikes and everyone drives like a nut. I know two people that were killed on them so far. So until people realize that biking is a good way to save money and get exercise, instead of seeing it as something those "liberal commies" do, I'll be driving.

#9 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't live in the most cyclist friendly area (and definitely not the weather - it is terrible), but I like cycling.

I sometimes struggle like one of the other posters mentioned by feeling extra tired once the exercise high ride wears off. I have also had a couple of issues with blacking out or something similar, so that's a little bit dangerous, but overall, I stay awake during a commute, and get a work out.

#10 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

I don't live in the most cyclist friendly area (and definitely not the weather - it is terrible), but I like cycling.

I sometimes struggle like one of the other posters mentioned by feeling extra tired once the exercise high ride wears off. I have also had a couple of issues with blacking out or something similar, so that's a little bit dangerous, but overall, I stay awake during a commute, and get a work out.

Just be careful! Don't want you to black out and get smushed :/

#11 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

No smushing, don't worry! I'm retiring my bike until winter is almost done. I don't have money for those special cycling tires and more comfortable cycling gear. :D