Anyone Triggered By Sounds?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emm

Emm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have not found anyone anywhere who has cataplexic attacks because of loud noises. I would love to hear I'm not the only one. It isn't that the noise scares me, because cumulative noise also knocks me down -- like at a bowling alley. I don't have N either, just C. Other triggers are very cold weather (like below zero) and dehydration. Emotions and laughing don't bother me.

#2 AckDreams

AckDreams

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

Unexpected noises that startle me when I'm sleepy or relaxed give me cataplexy.

#3 Rrrapture

Rrrapture

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

I have not found anyone anywhere who has cataplexic attacks because of loud noises. I would love to hear I'm not the only one. It isn't that the noise scares me, because cumulative noise also knocks me down -- like at a bowling alley. I don't have N either, just C. Other triggers are very cold weather (like below zero) and dehydration. Emotions and laughing don't bother me.

It's a relief to hear a couple other people remark on noise stimulation.

I'm not positive if this is cataplexy, but I have a huge negative reaction to sudden loud or sharp noises (sirens, cat fights) and sustained medium to loud noise (music at a club, restaurant noise). They don't seem to make me drop, but sudden loud sounds are like a blow and tend to literally stop me in my tracks. I automatically cover my ears with my hands and sometimes have to close my eyes. I feel sheepish and conspicuous when I realize no one else in the street or movie theater has reacted like that.

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, and was taking about 300 mg of effexor at the time (for "depression and anxiety"). I wasn't sure if I experienced cataplexy, though my doc and I discussed how I would end up in a heap on the floor when I was grieving/upset or startled by bad news. I also remembered slumping sometimes when I laughed.

I am no long on effexor (took me months to come off), and I thought maybe the Adderall I take increased my irritability...lately I've started to think I just have cataplexy, because I end up slumped on the floor when I get upset.

I bought new earplugs today and am wearing them now, in the cafe where I came to eat dinner. Everything seems so much more manageable with them. It's amazing. I also sleep better with earplugs in.

#4 utmost

utmost

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, gardening, reading

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

I am very sensitive to loud noise, but don't think i drop from it. However, makes sense that any "overload" of sensory input could be a trigger.

#5 Big Dog

Big Dog

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Range Target Shooting, Blues,

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

I thought cat was exclusive to N?? Wouldn't be the first thing I'm wrong about, but I know what you mean about the noise. I think its because with me my cataplexy is directly related to overall mental state and continued loud noises ( DAD! DAD! DAD! DAAAAAAAAAAAD!) + my life today = a 40 year old doing commercials for Life Alert. Sucks.

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:art, art, art

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

I am an art teacher and sometimes when I am taking roll, students are talking and stools are scooting. I go blank and stare off into space. I can hear them, see them, but I can't move or talk. I snap out of it and continue. It's the noise that triggers it. Car back firings, sudden screams near me, noisy laughter, someone dropping stuff, lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, and on and on. If someone walks behind me, that's a trigger so I lean against walls. All of this causes bending backwards at the waist and if I'm against a wall, it looks like I am banging my head, sometimes for 15 minutes.

Music, if it brings back memories both good and bad, triggers it too. I am having hypnogogic hallucinations now and I hear quiet talking, singing and beautiful jazz playing some where. It's no where..... I am hearing it though.

rich